Batman vs Superman (2016)

Discussion in 'General Movies' started by Mububban, May 14, 2014.

1. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    This is actually based on a comic. The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller. In that version Batman was a lot older than Superman, or at least looked a lot older, like in his fifties or sixties. I don't know whether Superman is supposed to age slower than other people or whether he was just younger than Batman in that version. So they actually made Batman younger when you look at the source material.

2. K.S. Crooks

K.S. Crooks New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Superman has a longer life span than humans, so when he is 80 it would belike a human being around 45. I own the Dark Knight Returns, but if in this movie Wonder Woman is appearing for the first time, then other heroes like Aquaman and Flash and after this the Justice League will form, then you need Batman in his prime not a grizzly old man. Not that Ben Afleck is old, but if they portray him as being around years before Superman then I have some reservations.
    On a related note, I ponder if Wonder Woman will gain or suffer from having a new director while in production.

3. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Valid concerns and yeah it's based on the Dark Knight Returns. If you check you can see the heavy armour Batman wears in the comic when he confronts Superman, just like in the comic. Though of course I think things will play out differently. I also think that Batman is supposed to be the older, more experienced superhero, compared to Superman, though not such an age difference as in the comic mentioned above. I don't know how Wonder Woman comes into play and just saying, I don't care much for the wonder woman film. Not because it's about a female character, but because I'm just not that interested in the character, just like I'm not interested in so many other superheroes, antman as an example. Another superhero film that is coming out. Maybe my interest will change once I see her in action in the film. But that remains to be seen.

4. Dipti Bahuguna

Dipti Bahuguna New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I really liked the this teaser a lot and my expectations are high.

5. Dipti Bahuguna

Dipti Bahuguna New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hope, you will not be disappointed

6. I. R. Shogun

I. R. Shogun Midnight Demon

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    The fight between Bats and Supes will be based on DKR and so will some visual elements, but that's about it. Personally I'm glad they decided to take the grit right from the source and I'm glad Batman will be something of a mentor and old general for all the newcoming super folk in this universe.

Also:

They've released their image of Jason Momoa as Aquaman and based on that they're going with a more 90's Aquaman version. But the real reason I've included these quotes is simple: I know none of you are big comics people, and some of the Aquaman hate out there is purely joking(and maybe this isn't the place for this) but Aquaman is arguably the biggest hard ass on the Justice League.

I won't say biggest bad ass because that's still Batman, takes some stones to stand shoulder to shoulder with gods and still seem tough. But Aquaman is way harder core.

Let's examine what the world thinks he can do:
    Talk to fish

Let's examine what he can ACTUALLY do:
    Telepathic command of all sea life (he doesn't talk to fish because fish aren't smart enough. Also, he's used this power to tap into the older parts of a human brain and give an enemy a brain aneurism before)
    Superhuman durability (Humanity has yet to make something that can withstand the pressures of the deepest reaches of the ocean, Aquaman LIVES there.)
    Strength enough to lift and move over 100 tons(in a recent storyline he used this to slam an ocean freighter into an enemy. He can also leap tall buildings in a single bound, seriously he did that in the first issue of his current series)
    master of hand to hand combat(he's fought wonder woman, who is as powerful as superman and trained to be a master combatant by a whole slew of people, to a stand still)
    carries a trident capable of piercing Superman's skin
    super human senses(look up the senses aquatic animals have and then make the best and scariest of all of them way better and you'll have Aquaman's on land and at sea)
    Superhuman speed and reflexes (some athletes train in water because the added resistance makes the workouts more intense, Aquaman can swim over 100 mph, and while not as fast on land can still truck faster than any puny surface dweller)

Here's what really sets him apart from most of DC's big names: Aquaman will END you if he must. Batman can break bones and Superman can bend steel, but neither of them is a killer. Same goes for most superheroes, but for some there are times when the bad guy just needs a trident rammed through his chest, and when those villains come along Arthur of Atlantis is more than willing to do the job.

In short, he may not be as powerful as Superman and Wonder Woman, but he has the skills and the power to take on any other super person out there and hold his own. Aquaman doesn't need anyone to make him awesome, Aquaman just needs someone to show the world how awesome he already is.

7. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    I made that comment before the said picture was released. I think Jason as Aquaman could actually work, though he still reminds me too much of Khal Drogo lol.

8. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    To be fair I feel like a big part of his casting is trying to bank on some of the legitimacy that hyper-manly role and association would give the character.

9. Ochwen

Ochwen New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This looks so, so dodgy to me.
    The graphic Novel was all about an aging Superman and Batman, allies and enemies that have fough beside and against each other for years. I just can't see it living up to it.

Don't understand why they don't start fresh, a new take, god knows there are plenty of stories to choose from.

10. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Yarr, there be (mild) spoilers ahead. Ye have been warned

http://www.ew.com/gallery/batman-v-superman-dawn-justice-first-look-photos

At least this pic shows a tiny bit of colour in Wonder Woman's outfit. It doesn't look (quite) as drab and washed out as the first promo pic that just looked like brown leather:

heroes.jpg

11. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    See you can tell they love drab when you look at Superman and Wonderwoman and - gah their blues are nearly trying to be black :p

12. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Here's the first full length trailer. A totally obsessed Batman, our first real glimpses of Wonder Woman and Lex Luthor - looking good:

13. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Director Zak Snyder said at the Comic Con panel (at the 5 minute mark) that although he thinks the Miller story is genius, the plot for this movie is NOT straight from that storyline. It's a story of this movie's creative team, things they thought would be cool to see and explore.

14. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Still, clearly they're using elements from the comic book. Batman fighting Superman in a big-ass armour being the most obvious one.

15. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Yes, heavily, heavily inspired may be the way to put it :D

16. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    The armored suit makes sense, given that that's the only time the two have fought that anyone gave a reason Batman would last more than a few seconds. They'll definitely take thematic elements from Miller(the DCCU is going to be pretty grim and gritty the full way through I think) but this is going to be a pretty different way than we've usually seen these relationships start out.

17. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    The latest trailer is out, aaaaaaaand........I'm not impressed. In fact I'm a little more worried now than I was before I saw it.

Time will tell. Realistically, I'm going to go see it anyway. I just hope I don't walk out disappointed and wanting my money back.

18. Overread

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaand I'm relegating it to action flick and fan service

19. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, that wasn't spoilerific at all....

20. Overread

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    I just hope the guys who write scripts for hollywood trailers never get jobs writing blurbs for books!