Basic Dark Ages Costuming - How To

Discussion in 'Historical Re-enactment' started by Mububban, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Here are some links for anyone interested in making themselves a basic (or complex) Dark Ages (600 - 110AD) costume, for a Ren Fair, Halloween, costume party, re-enactment group or just to have.

My group here in Western Australia, The Grey Company, is the largest metal weapons group in Australia, and we've been around for 21 years. Our website has some links to costuming basics:

Basic Tunic

Costuming Basics

European Dark Ages Dress

Fabrics

No lycra. I repeat - no lycra. This may sound logical and not necessary to be said, but many other groups, even some of the largest, wear gaudily coloured stretch fabrics that DID NOT EXIST at the time you're portraying.

My tunics are all pretty much a basic T shape, made from linen, cotton or thin wool. Most have some nice braiding around the neck and/or sleeve openings.

My pants are large baggy brown clown pants as I call them. Full cuts were the norm, so medieval clothing (for guys at least) is really comfy. It also leaves you lots of room to wear leg guards when playing games like Combat Archery.

And don't wear tracksuit pants. They just look terrible, and obviously like tracksuit pants.

Wearing your nicest tunic underneath armour such as chain mail can lead to harsh words from your girlfriend/costume maker :)

So there you have it. If you, your mum, your sister, your friend, your granny etc knows their way around a sewing machine, making your own basic Dark Ages costume is a cinch.

For some more pictures of a mere handful of the hundreds of different costumes our club members have mad,e check out this page.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2005
  2. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Hmm, 68 views and no posts. Has anyone found this thread useful, or a big waste of time :)

3. mr frodo

mr frodo New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i found this thread to be useful and i plan on making a tunic next week. i am hoping to gather the things that i need and then sew it. i was wondering about the instructions concerning the neck facing. i am not sure what the instructions are getting at. they are not very clear. it would be great if you could elaborate on that if you could.

thanks.

oh i am also going to make the cape as well. without the hood. i am making this for a 1179 setting. i think this will fit in nicely. although, i am making clothing for a nobleman so i am going to have to make it ornate with fancy fringe and colors unavailible to peasants.

any thoughts?

thanks agan

4. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Can't give you much clarification on the neck bit, seeing as I've only helped to make one tunic before. It does kind of make sense to me, but I can't explain it better than they've alreay tried to do! But basically it's reinforcing the neck area so there's not only one layer of fabric that could easily get worn out. Like having a cuff on a sleeve or pants leg so the end doesn't fray.

Hoods on capes/cloaks are a fantastic addition, especially if you're wearing it at night and/or in a cold area! They don't just look cool, but they're what keeps your neck and head warm.

1179 is a very specific year, anything in particular?

5. mr frodo

mr frodo New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    it looks like in the instructions that one would take a square piece of cloth and place it over the neck hole and sew 1 cm inside the neck line. once this is sewn into place then the neck face is folded inside the tunic, ironed flat and then sewn again? there is also a picture of a zig zag cut around the neck face i am not sure what all that is.

thanks

6. mr frodo

mr frodo New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    we are doing an couple days and nights in italy roughly around 1179. this is a break from our modern nights white wolf. we do one shots every year with a new setting from the past to give our modern nights setting a little history and to flesh out some of the plot lines. it is very fun. when we are finished with the modern nights, we were thinking of doing a dark ages setting which would be a nice change.

thanks for your time

7. Elfdaughter

Elfdaughter Art House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    *hugs another re-enactor*

Those are good links, especially for new costumers. Unfortunately, it's a little out for me - I do Middle Ages. And I envy anyone with a sewing machine. I do all mine by hand. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2005
  8. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    All hand sewing? Now that's hardcore. So what time period are you, and what group? SCA? Metal weapons?

9. Elfdaughter

Elfdaughter Art House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    SCA and Wars of the Roses Fed.

Yeah - fencing and archery in SCA, and sword and archery in the Fed.

Yeah, tell me about it.... my last SCA dress took me three weeks......