Banning books

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Harrison, Dec 3, 2003.

1. Harrison

Harrison The Best Beatle

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    What is your opinion on banning books, though I don't agree with all books, I don't think that any should be banned. I mean, banning Huckleberry Finn because is involve african americans being mistreated is just stupid.:nono:

2. doleniel

doleniel Elven High Priestess

surrounded by idiots with no hope of escape
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I agree, people are too obsessed with being politically correct these days. And some of the reasons books are banned are even more stupid than that. I mean, if a book is "unsuited to age group", then wait a couple of years to give it to the kid, don't ban it! People can be so clueless sometimes.

3. Harrison

Harrison The Best Beatle

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Preach it sista! I don't like Harry Potter, but I wouldn't ban it. The only people that books have a bad influence on are the idiots that take it seriously and believe in it.

4. doleniel

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    One point that my mom brings up often about churches banning books like Harry Potter to their members is that it is a sign of untrustworthiness. It's like they are saying "We don't trust you enough to let you read this book. We think that if you read it you will question God and turn to Satan. Go read this anti-everyone-except-Christians book instead!" And bear in mind that while some fantasy novels are entirely made up, some (such as Marion Zimmer Bradley's books about Avalon and the Forest House) have bases in real Pagan religious practices. On that note, yes we do have that Lotrinism thread, but look what forum it is in! Spam! Yeah, we do that stuff, but its nat as if we really pray to Tolkein (at least I don't). The point is, fantasy is fantasy! It's not real! Stop pretending it is! That way, we will actually be able to find our favorite books.

5. Arwen

Arwen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    banning books is ridiculous- the more read the more you learn, and therefore more educated. People should be able to judge the value of a book themselves. Besides, anything that's banned makes me want to read it more ;) :D

6. Harrison

Harrison The Best Beatle

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    True that yo!!!

7. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    I would have to agree. Especially about books like Huckleberry Finn and Uncle Tom's Cabin. I mean, come on. So it might be "offensive" to African Americans. It is historical fact that they were treated differently at one time, so it's merely a picture of history. ANd as for Harry Potter, I don't read them, but that's because I choose not to. I personally don't think they are very interesting. Everyone has a choice whether or not to do something.

8. Lonearcher

Lonearcher Nocturnal

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Somebody important once said, "Knowledge is power". Power of knowledge imparts power of influence. Very often people who have power (of one sort or another) guard it jealously. Book banning is one method of guarding that power of knowledge. If people are free to make up their own minds about a thing then they don't need anyone else to tell them what to think and thus, those who had that power of knowledge lose power of influence.

Then there is the use of book banning to deny history. This is similar to banning other reminders of history, such as flags. Often, people feel that a particular period of history or an historical event is offensive and therefore do not want to be reminded of it. But as somebody wiser than I once said, "Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it". Or something like that.

9. Radagast

Radagast Art House Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    True indeed. Just commenting, I know that in Germany Mein Kampf is banned, and I am not 100% sure, but I thought I read somewhere that The Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx is banned in Russia. Not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing for the country, just thought I would mention it. (In Canada, you can basically get those two books at any large book store/dealer.)

10. byzantine warrior

byzantine warrior Autokratos Konstantinou

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Wasnt uncle toms cabin written by african americans? and as a Preist i would like to say that on behalf of the greek orthodox church no book banning has and never will be done and i only read one HP didint like it all that much.

11. waenlotien

waenlotien Healer/ Magicuser

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    No it was written by harriet beecher stowe, a daughter of a preacher.
    here is a quick paragraph about her writing it...

Uncle Tom's Cabin, which appeared first in serial form in an abolitionist newspaper, The National Era, in 1851-52, was written largely in Brunswick. In 1852 the story was published in book form in two volumes. Uncle Tom's Cabin was a best seller in the United States, England, Europe, Asia, and translated into over 60 languages. The passage of the Fugitive Slave Act in 1850, which deeply distressed Harriet, was a factor in inspiring her to write Uncle Tom's Cabin. This Act made it a crime for citizens of free states to give aid to runaway enslaved people.

you can find more ... here

12. byzantine warrior

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Thanks alot waen been a long time since i read it

13. waenlotien

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    YVW BW
    i have a good copy of it and i was at the museaum once.

14. byzantine warrior

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    They have a museum on it? cool got to visit it next time im in the states

15. waenlotien

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    yes, here is the info on it...
    Harriet Beecher Stowe Center
    77 Forest Street
    Hartford, CT 06105
    Phone: 860-522-9258
    Fax: 860-522-9259

I went there on a field trip when i lived in VT

16. doleniel

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Religionwise, I was referring to Baptists, etc.

I've never read Uncle Tom's Cabin, I will have to sometime.

17. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    That is very true indeed. I mean, look at the Reformation. The reason they tried to stamp it out was because they didn't want people to be able to read the Bible for themselves because then they wouldn't be needed or listened to much anymore.

18. Taiba

Taiba The last Marag

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, this is kind of an old thread, but I'm new here and I just have to comment, too. Whenever the subject of book banning comes up, I have to mention Fahrenheit 451. It's a banned book. To anyone who has read and understood it, you can see the irony right away. For anyone who hasn't, I looked and found a plot synopsis online. http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/451/summary.html

19. Radagast

Radagast Art House Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Well, its not a banned book in Canada. I know that certain Gr.10 English classes take up F451. But I still wonder why it would be banned? Or are you refering to that the plot deals with the concept of banned books? *little bit confused.*

20. Khamul

Khamul Roaming

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Yea, that must be what he means. But, also, what would you think of the "Birds and Bees popup book?" Should a book like that be banned? (Yea, there really was one...)