Banned Books - Your Thoughts?

Discussion in 'General Books' started by SapphireMoon, Sep 26, 2005.

?

Should censorship be abolished?

Poll closed Nov 25, 2005.
  1. Yes. Everyone should have complete freedom to right and read what they want.

18 vote(s)
    78.3%
  2. No. Governments should have control over what is censored.

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  3. For the most part, but not totally. Censorship can be benificial.

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  4. Other

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. Dwimmerlaik

Dwimmerlaik Captain of Despair

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    see my dad never renounced his irish or canadian ones.

2. AcrobaticHippo

AcrobaticHippo Determined

In Turtleopia, training Elan's turtles :P
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Personally I feel censorship shouldn't be very strict - books with sexually explicit scenes an such shouldn't be banned but instead be packed into some obscure corner of a bookstore or even better, an adult store. Parenting also comes into play here; as long as there are responsible parents around I don't see why the rest of the adult population have to be denied access.

Certain books should be banned though- books which promote violence, rape, terrorism, etc. Even then, like kartaron said, the Internet is a portal to any kind of information. I guess censorship in this case helps stem the various forms of promoting violence and such to the masses...

EDIT : Mein Kampf shouldn't be banned imho, there's already alot of education out there detailing what a madman Hitler was, so, contrary to going against such views, it actually helps people gain a direct insight into Hitler's feelings leading to his atrocities. It helps education in this way. I guess these kind of books should be given only to people studying the various forms of government and history at a very high level.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2006
  3. silas

silas New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I Say If Your One Thing Your One Thing Your Not African American Or French Can Or Irish Amer Unless U Got Of The Boat And And Are Now A Citaizen

<Translation: I think that if you're one thing, you're one thing; not African-American, nor French-Canadian, nor Irish-American. Unless, of course, you have just immigrated and recently became a citizen.>

Please don't use chatspeak in your posts. Thanks, Skyanide

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2005
  4. Bard

Bard Erchamion

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Well, you have to remember your history and give credit to where you really came from. Half of my family are Pennsylvania Dutch(Deutsch) and I have to recognize my German ancestry.

5. Bard

Bard Erchamion

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Silas, what did your post have to do with banned books in the first place?

6. Angel of Chaos

Angel of Chaos Music House Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Well, I have just one thing to say:

Ban The Bible

If you are gonna ban or censor something because it offend rleigous people then technically they should ban the bible because, as an atheist, i could be offended by the bible and its false views on the world.

Also therefore you should ban the Quran, the Guru Granth Sahib, and the Tora scrolls, both for contradicting each other, the bible, and offending me.

Now im not actually saying these books offend me, cos in my mind they are fiction, and fiction isnt offensive in any way, but if they ban books for contradicting religous beliefs, then atheists have the right do get rid of holy books for the same reason.

Luckily i live in Britain, which is not driven by christian religion as america is, so books would never be banned for that reason (at least theyd better not).

7. Isthral

Isthral Royal Councilor

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree with Angel of Chaos because not only can religious texts offend atheists, but they have also caused more deaths than any other "genre" that I know of, with holy wars, crusades, jihads, and the like.

8. subgenre

subgenre Pirate Queen

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Everyone should have the freedom to read what they want and no one should limit creative expression.

The books they want to ban are so idiotic! I mean:

James and The Giant Peach? Huckelberry Finn? Harry Potter? Cathcher in the Rye? Carrie? SHEL SILVERSTEIN?! She's a children's author!

I understand how they feel about how offensive some books can get and how it can affect the minds of people who read them, but there is no need for a book banning, people have the right to produce such literature or other forms of art and it is basically their descision and not the governments or the biased members of their society.

9. Confessor

Confessor New Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 0 / -0
    Personally I can understand why the banned Carrie by Stephen King but the other ones. They are American Classics. People are so Stupid in todays society that they'll eventually ban every little thing that is Bad in their minds. That just irritates me. It's....Dumb. I won't say anything further because it's....aggravating.

10. flanne

flanne Ranger Girl

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

lol they want to ban james and the giant peach? that's insane.

I'm still trying to figure out what's wrong with Harry Potter. That's still baffling me.

11. Unraveller

Unraveller <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    There's a thread on it here: http://www.thefantasyforum.com/showthread.php?t=11874

I totally disagree with censorship in books. To read one must actively participate, unlike with movies, so people do not become 'unintentionally influenced'. As for what is offensive/controversial etc, those are all subjective opinions. To me Harry Potter is a great read, to some people it is leading kids to the devil. Who is right? Who gets to choose what is banned? And if you are going to ban books about something, what next? Banning conversations in the pub about it?

Search tags for this page

what are your thoughts on banned books