Audio books?

Discussion in 'General Fantasy' started by anonymous, Jan 16, 2016.

1. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    Well I guess its the new addiction of mine :D
    I still read occasionally, but man audio books are awesome - listen then before bed, on the way to work etc.
    anybody here is in them?

2. Midnattblod

Midnattblod Ranger of Shadow

Ratings:
    +528 / 3 / -0
    I used to listen to them when I was younger while I went to bed. I have thought about getting more into them, maybe when I get a new mp3 player, and put them on it for long car rides and trips elsewhere.

3. Oddrun

Oddrun I speak languages.

Ratings:
    +200 / 1 / -0
    I listen to audiobooks every night - they put me to sleep like no other thing does ^^ Also, I listen to audiobooks when I ride bicycle to work :>

4. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    When I listened to the audiobook of King's The Gunslinger I started by listening to it in bed, before going to sleep. But I fell asleep so quickly that after who knows how long I woke up and noticed it was still playing, and then it took ages for me to find the last bit I remembered, so I could continue listening the next day. I never listened to audiobooks in bed ever since. :p
    They're definitely great during bus or train rides, though. And I was so happy when I found out that I could adjust the reading speed in my Audible app. I wouldn't have survived the 40 hours of Dragonfly in Amber otherwise (which I mainly wanted to finish so that the purchase wouldn't be for nothing). :D

5. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    haha thats why I have audio book ap, when you havent moved it for more than 40( or what ever limit you set) it pauses the book :p

6. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
    Last 8 years I "read" almost only audiobooks...

7. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    I've listened to audiobooks for many years, way back when they were tape cassettes.

The first time I picked one up was at a magazine/book shop at the airport while waiting for my flight to board.
    I bought two; Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton, and The Hot Zone by Richard Preston... The Hot Zone is the true story of the first modern ebola virus outbreak, before doctors even knew what it was. It's nonfiction, but the way it's written, more like a doomsday thriller. I kept telling myself 'holy shit, this stuff really happened'. And not the best audiobook to listen to on a flight either, as part of the story follows a guy who was exploring caves in Africa, caves with thousands of bats and the floor of the cave had several inches of bat shit... he has contracted the ebola virus, doesn't know it, is making his way back to civilization on a crowded flight... and he's beginning to "bleed out".
    I think it was that book, The Hot Zone, that really got me hooked on audiobooks.

And I'll say it, for some reason I much prefer male narrators... and with a nice English accent. A Scottish accent is annoying after awhile, some Americans sound good too. As Oddy remarked, nothing puts you to sleep faster than an audiobook... except perhaps drinking a beer or after masturbating. And since Oddy doesn't do those things an audiobook is healthier than taking sleeping pills.:p
    Best narrator ever is Jim Dale, who did all the Harry Potter audiobooks. I actually made a special box for my Harry Potter audiobooks. Yeah I know, super gay... I'll take a pic of it tonight and post it.:eek:

If you've become addicted to listening over reading, then you should consider joining audible.com. It's $14.95/month for one credit, and they're always having $4.95-a-book sales.

8. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    yarr matey ;)

9. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    I've "read" two audiobooks: "Legion" by Brandon Sanderson (intriguing story and good narrator) and "The Biology of Belief" by Bruce Lipton (intriguing content but the narrator was not very good). I definitely prefer a print format over audio, but I did like listening to them in my car on the way to work. I just wish the audiobooks weren't so expensive. :p

10. Oddrun

Ratings:
    +200 / 1 / -0
    I usually wake up after a few minutes (so there's not much to rewind the next night), turn the player off and fall back asleep super fast :>

You can download free audiobooks from LoyalBooks.com. They mostly have public domain books. But check the audio first, because some of them are read by amateurs. I'm listening to "The Woman in White" now and it's quite ok.

11. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    An article about audiobooks, market share and trends... they're finding that people who don't read books at all, will however listen to audiobooks.
    Global Audiobook Trends for 2015

12. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    @Oddrun you can acquire them. *Yarss *

13. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    so, here it is... the box I made to hold my stash of Harry Potter audiobooks.
    I wish they'd package audiobooks all about the same size, that way I could put them on shelves with my real books.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    that looks so hot.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Daughter of Hell

Daughter of Hell damosel in distress

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -2
    Nerd alert, Sparrow. At least you're good at making things.

I listened to audio books as a baby angel I had Alice in Wonderland and The Animals of Farthing Wood. Alice was my favorite. Being brainwashed by that shit every night explains a lot, now that I think on it.

I tried listening to A Game of Thrones audio book recently and found it went too fast for my comprehension... embarrassingly! Perhaps my English verbal communication skills aren't as hot as my written skills (nor as hot as my body, for that matter! LOL! I'm so funny.)

So no audio books for little Alexia. I would've preferred female narrators to do female voices, though, hey?!

16. Oddrun

Ratings:
    +200 / 1 / -0
    Didn't quite catch what you meant here, Anon. I can aquire what? :)

Oh, this is beautiful! Well done!

17. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    Good audiobooks?

18. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    Oh, I would venture to add that your internet communication skills aren't as "hot" as your written skills, also.:p
    And a 15 year old with a hot body is about as useless as tits on a nun.:bananadance:

... and thanks, I am pretty good at making stuff.:)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    The Woman in White, and by my reckoning Wilkie Collins' better book The Moonstone are why I think Poe is totally overrated, and shouldn't be considered, "The Father of Detective Fiction". Not only was Wilkie Collins twice the writer of Poe, his prose were modern and his treatment of foreigners, women, servants, etc, were practically modern compared to all the other writers of the time. His mysteries were a bit thin in the plot department, but still readable today. I have to think Agatha Christie was inspired by him.

20. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

Thanks!