At a crossroads

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jinral, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Jinral

Jinral The yet to be published

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Let me start off by saying this, I hate editing. I loathe it more than just about editing. Unfortunately I am also a typical when it comes to writers in the fact that I don't want anyone to touch the story until I declare it done. So I was editing my first book, Council of Cult'ura and parts of A Sundered Mind (aka Jazer and Octavius) when my ADD kicked in and now I have got toes in the water on yet another novel, completely seperate series (likely a young adult series)

So here is the fork in the road so to speak. I can put more time into the Council book, which is like my pride and joy

or

I can rewrite A Sundered Mind (after rereading I realized that it is so lacking in so many areas that it would be better if rewritten altogether)

or

I can continue to work on my new book. Work has become more intensive of late and I get a couple hours a day of time to put serious effort into these projects. Writing is what I enjoy, but if I never finish editing then no one else can enjoy the work. Before we go any further let me through you the pitch for the newest series:

Its called 13 wizards and is set in modern day los angeles. The main characters are 13 high schoolers, all of whom have been somewhat mistreated throughout their lives for being book worms and for lack of a better term nerds. One of the leads is a history buff and eventually uncovers hint of what is referred to as the "lost journey" It tells of ancient secrets that were taken from europe and buried on a new world, somewhere far passed the middle kingdom (china). After delving through clues and countless hours of research involving him and his friends, they uncover the location of the ancient secrets in a hidden library. The secrets that the legends referred is actually spells in a spell book. Each of the thirteen friends decides to take part in the adventure of mastering the spells laid before them, but teenage angst soon begins to grip the situation causing tensions to rise. As the group masters and cast their spells, there is a sudden split, with 7 of them taking revenge for the injustices caused by their classmates, and the other 6 defending the other students. What starts off as simple bullying quickly escalates. With the world begining to spiral out of control the 6 are losing grip on the situation and must find an ally, the 14th.

The main concepts that would be explored is of course teenage angst and the desire to be different yet accepted. The main theme would be the seven deadly sins and the seven holy virtues, each one personified. It is also about the eternal battle between good and evil and how sometimes the lines can get blurred.

So you can see why I am kind of stuck. I want to be a writer, but I have only several years to establish myself early on or else I would have to wait a decade. Anyone got advice?

2. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    Why? I don't really understand precisely what you mean by that.

Apart from that, writing always comes first. Telling new stories is always better practice than revising old ones. If you have two hours to write, then write for the first ninety minutes and edit for the rest.

If you're new to writing - as I suspect you are - always remember that John D. MacDonald said that every writer has a million words of crap in them before producing anything publishable. Your job is to get through that million words of crap quickly, learning as you go. That's roughly ten novels. Few fiction writers manage to sell anything before reaching about 500,000 words. So don't worry, just keep writing.

3. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    I'll add to Greybeard's sentiments by saying an art instructor I once had told us we all have a 1,000 crap drawings in us... "get them out of the way quick as possible". That's longhand for PRACTICE-PRACTICE-PRACTICE.

The second bit of advice I have for you is... finish what you begin!
    Whether it be writing or drawing & painting, you need to develop a process by which you turn out professional quality work. That won't happen by giving up when inspiration fails you. I don't know how many times I was involved in a project wherein I was less than inspired but was able to turn out the work I was paid to do. That only comes from experience.

4. Jinral

Jinral The yet to be published

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    with the decade thing, i know its confusing, but it is something you have to take at face value, thank you guys for the help though

5. gumboot

gumboot lorcutus.tolere

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    If you think the more advanced work would be worthwhile, with some editing, I would go with that. There's not much point being a writer with a hundred novels under your belt if none of them is finished. On the other hand, if you think even thorough editing won't improve the work to the point that it's worth releasing into the world, you're probably better off to acknowledge you've developed as a writer, abandon that project, and move on.