ASoIaF Reread - Jan. 28 to Feb. 3

Discussion in 'A Song of Ice and Fire' started by Appaliq, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    CATELYN

"They waited, quiet, while Eddard Stark said a silent farewell to the home he loved. When he turned away from the window as last, his voice was tired and full of melancholy, and moisture glittered faintly in the corners of his eyes. 'My father went south once, to answer the summons of a king. He never came home again.'"
    Very sad moment. Poor Eddard. Can you imagine how different the books would be if he had stuck to his decision to stay in Winterfell?

Whisperings of Ashara Dayne on page 55. Even if Ashara isn't Jon's mother - do you think she and Ned had some sort of romantic relationship?

ARYA

"Arya knew which prince she meant: Joffrey, of course. The tall, handsome one. Sansa got to sit with him at the feast. Arya had to sit with the little fat one. Naturally." LOL

"'Just where do you think you are going, Arya?' the septa demanded.
    Arya glared at her. 'I have to go shoe a horse,' she said sweetly, taking brief satisfaction in the shock on the septa's face." [After Arya has heard Septa Mordane telling Catelyn that Arya has hands like a blacksmith.]

TYRION

"'Winterfell is so infested with wolves, the Starks would never miss one.' [Joffrey]
    Tyrion hopped off the last step into the yard. 'I beg to differ, nephew,' he said. 'The Starks can count past six. Unlike some princes I might name.'"

"'Even if the boy does live, he will be a cripple. Worse than a cripple. A grotesque. Give me a good clean death.'
    Tyrion replied with a shrug that accentuated the twist of his shoulders. 'Speaking for the grotesques,' he said, 'I beg to differ. Death is so terribly final, while life is full of possibilities.'"
    Poor Jaime. Arrogant bastard never knew what he had coming.

JON

"'I told you to leave,' [Catelyn] said. 'We don't want you here.'
    Once that would have sent [Jon] running. Once that might even have made him cry. Now it only made him angry. He would be a Sworn Brother of the Night's Watch soon, and face worse dangers than Catelyn Tully Stark."
    I've spent a lot of time defending Catelyn against my friends' ridicule - but she really is an a-hole.

"'First lesson,' Jon said. 'Stick them with the pointy end.''

"Different roads sometimes lead to the same castle." [Jon]
    Foreshadowing? Will Arya make it to the Wall? Or will Jon end up...wherever Arya does? King's Landing?

DAENERYS

In this chapter I have a section highlighted from the beginning Dany's wedding where two men fight over the same woman. I just remember how terribly disturbed I was the first time I read that they just "mounted" their women right there in the dirt, center of affairs.

Contrarily, Martin did a really good job writing the first Drogo/Dany encounter at the end of the chapter. Kind of hot, actually.