ASoIaF Reread - Jan. 21

Discussion in 'A Song of Ice and Fire' started by Appaliq, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Ender-Zero

Ender-Zero Ruff Mercenary

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, you're right, that's what I meant. Not the Lord of Light silly me.

2. Renzokuken

Renzokuken You have failed this city!

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    Hey, it's just what I read. Don't stone me for blasphemy ;)

3. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    WARNING: Long post! But read it anyway.

PROLOGUE

"The Other said something in a language that Will did not know,..."/"Far beneath him, he heard their voices and laughter sharp as icicles."
    I guess I was never paying close enough attention to read that the Others are talking. I always thought of them and silent and deadly. But they're actually talking amongst one another.

When a person dies and is resurrected, like Waymar Royce in this chapter, are they a WIGHT or an OTHER? There's some sort of difference that I can't remember. And if these Others are all just glorified zombies then what the heck do they have to talk about?

BRAN

"'Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?' [Bran]
    'That is the only time a man can be brave,' his father told him." [Eddard]

"'If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die.'" [Eddard]

"His father knelt and groped under the beast's head with his hand. He gave a yank and held it up for all to see. A foot of shattered antler, tines snapped off, all wet with blood.
    A sudden silence descended over the party. The men looked at the antler uneasily, and no one dared speak. Even Bran could sense their fear, though he did not understand."
    That's foreshadowing if I ever saw it. So blatant in retrospect.

"'There are five pups,' he told Father. 'Three male, two female.' [Jon]
    'What of it Jon?' [Eddard]
    'You have five trueborn children,' Jon said. 'Three sons, two daughters. The direwolf is the sigil of your House. Your children were meant to have these pups, my Lord.'"

DAENERYS

"The water was scalding hot, but Daenerys did not flinch or cry out. She liked the heat. It made her feel clean. Besides, her brother had often told her that it was never too hot for a Targaryen. 'Ours is the house of the dragon,' he would say. 'The fire is in our blood.'"
    Not that this is a particularly memorable quote, but I thought I would share - anytime I get into a bath now that is too hot, instead of jumping out and adding some cooler water, I think to myself - "Ours is the blood of the dragon." :D

"Kings lack the caution of common men." [Illyrio]

"'How are we to go home?' [Viserys] repeated, meaning King's Landing, and Dragonstone, and all the realm they had lost.
    Dany had only meant their rooms in Illyrio's estate, no true home surely, though all they had, but her brother did not want to hear that. There was no home for him there."
    I know no one really likes him, but I actually feel bad for Viserys. Imagine having your entire family slaughtered and then you're exiled from your home. He's a PAW, but I can sympathize with him at times.

EDDARD

"In those days, the smell of leather and blood had clung to [Robert] like perfume. Now it was perfume that clung to him like perfume, and he had a girth to match his height."

"No sooner had those formalties of greeting been completed than the king had said to his host, 'Take me down to your crypt Eddard. I would pay my respects.' [Robert, of Lyanna]
    Ned loved him for that, for remembering her after all these years."

"Lyanna had only been sixteen, a child-woman of surpassing loveliness. Ned had loved her with all his heart. Robert had loved her even more."
    It's funny. I'm definately all for the Rhaegar/Lyanna love story, but I'm starting to really see how much Robert loved her. I almost feel bad for him. *wishes Kshar were here to see this comment, as it would spark a debate surely*

"'I have more concern for my nephew's welfare than I do for Lannister pride,' Ned declared.
    'That is because you do not sleep with a Lannister.' Robert laughed."

JON

"They called him the Lion of Lannister to his face and whispered 'Kingslayer' behind his back.
    Jon found it hard to look away from him. This is what a king should look like, he thought to himself as the man passed."
    More foreshadowing? Will Jaime sit the Iron Throne in the end?

"Benjen Stark straddled the bench with long legs and took the wine cup out of Jon's hand. 'Summerwine,' he said after a taste. 'Nothing so sweet. How many cups have you had, Jon?'
    Jon smiled.
    Ben Stark laughed. 'As I feared. Ah well.'"

"He pushed himself off the ledge into empty air. Jon gasped, then watched in awe as Tyrion Lannister spun around in a tight ball, landed lightly on his hands, then vaulted backward onto his legs."
    Tyrion jumps off the wall and performs some gymnastics in a moment that I feel is totally uncharacteristic. I mean what the hell was that? In the next chapter he's waddling around again.

"'Did I offend you?' [Tyrion] Lannister said. 'Sorry. Dwarfs don't have to be tactful. Generations of capering fools in motley have won me the right to dress badly and say any damn thing that comes into my head.'"

4. Kaelmarr

Kaelmarr Back | Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    The Others are the "cold children of the Other(Great Other), according to Mel. The wights, on the other hand, are bodies that have just been resurrected by necromancy, like Waymar.