Ask the next person a question...

Discussion in 'Spam....' started by I. R. Shogun, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    @Malazan the Moderate I got my English teacher to read Tolkien and Eddings, by writing essays on The Silmarillion, The Children of Húrin and helping a friend with one on The Fellowship of the Ring, and then she was on the jury when I presented my dissertation on the two authors; their lives and their worlds.

I've never been upset for that, as I've never been insulted about it luckily (I could have been that geek at school that nobody talked to, but for some reason everybody in our year got on well [enough] with everybody else; there were about 70 of us). My sister joked about me playing D&D a couple of times, until she joined a session I was DMing and she's never mentioned it again, because she really enjoyed it.

Do you produce any fantasy yourself, or just consume it (and imagine a few things)? Art, (short) stories, games, music?

2. Malazan the Moderate

Malazan the Moderate Guard of Gondolin

Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    At least you're more fortunate than I was. :D

I write a lot of short stories (and have been writing a couple lengthier ones) for enjoyment. Writing, in general, is something I love doing.

Do you think Tolkien is given less credit than he deserves by some people when it comes to things other than worldbuilding? Characters, themes, etc.

3. Aelfwynn

Aelfwynn Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Yes I do, although I have read that Tolkein himself is surprised that people read his books. I think that people are so impressed by his worldbuilding that it overshadows everything else so it's not often talked about. I personally think that he did really well with his character development in his book especially. The trials the characters went through really shaped and changed them. I think we can all agree he was a fantastic writer all round.

Do you have a fave magic system that you have read about in a book?

4. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    I actually quite like the magic in Trudi Canavan's new series, The Millenium's Rule (which I won't spoil because it's new). In fact I really liked that magic system.

I also like the magic in Tolkien's world, because it is so mystical and is sort of split into the magic of the land and the magic of the stars. It all seems to come from within as well and seems almost without limits; used only when needed but often with devastating power (Gandalf uses quite a bit of magic in the Mines of Moria).

Oh and if you're interested in fun magic systems, we ran a short story competition a while back where interesting magic systems were the theme:
    And here's a system based on cheese:

Does the weather often affect the course of your day?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  5. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    It sure does in Florida during the last month or so of Summer. I don't jog, or bike, or do much of anything outside after noon.

Does the weather change your mood?

6. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    Definitely. When it's sunny but cool, I'm happy, when it's sunny and hot (it's always humid too in that case) I'm unhappy and cannot bring myself to do anything, not even read a book. When it's grey or raining (which is most of the time), I'm often quite happy and just get on with things. If it's grey and raining for a long time though it starts to get a little depressing. A friend of mine up in Scotland is from Indonesia and she gets really depressed in winter when we get very little sun.

Where would your ideal place to live be? (considering working, paying taxes, safety, etc)

7. Aelfwynn

Aelfwynn Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Edinburgh! definitely. Been obsessed with that part of Scotland for a long time. It was also voted Uswitch's best place to live in the UK (for many good reasons, income, reasonable living costs, broadband speed etc)

Have you ever felt unjustly disappointed by the end of a book??

8. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    Once that I can remember where the book was great and seemed to be building up to an impressive ending, and then just stopped and was very disappointing. The book was called “Snow” or something (sort of a teen book, but more serious).

A couple of series have disappointed me, where the first book (or even only part of the first book) set everything off really well, and then everything went pretty cliché and boring from there. The Power of Five by Anthony Horowitz was one, and I can't remember the other (it was in French).

(Edinburgh is cool, although as a countryside person I find it much too big. Lovely houses though! Most CS students from my uni go to work in London, but after that it's Edinburgh, so you never know, I might end up there for a bit).

Do you watch “indie” films or read “indie” books?

9. Ender-Zero

Ender-Zero Ruff Mercenary

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    I have watched an indie flick or two. I have also read an book. I'm not going to get into my opinions of them. The reason I will not discuss them is that I do not really remember them all very well, but what I do remember is that they were all very different. I think the most recent independent film I watched was Mr. Nobody, starring Jared Leto, which was a great film, especially from a narritalogical perspective.

What is your favourite local beer from your country? If not beer, your drink of choice, please.

10. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    Although I come from the country of beer (Belgium), my drink of choice is just milk. And by that I mean the milk we would get from the farmer down the road every time he milked his cows.

Does your country have a speciality that you like?

11. Arkonian Doyle

Arkonian Doyle Escapist

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    BELGIAN FRIES!:rolleyes:

if you were gifted the abillity to look into an author's mind, which writer would you pick and why?

12. Ender-Zero

Ender-Zero Ruff Mercenary

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    GRRM because I have been reading that series for half my life and want the f***ing books to finally be finished

are you a politics junkie?

13. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    I take it that you mean am I into politics? Not really, although I do like to keep at least a little updated on things. I don't try very hard though.

What is the weather most often like where you live?

14. Aelfwynn

Aelfwynn Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    grey and mild. South England is like that 70% of the time. and i'm sticking by that even if the summer as oddly hot

are you excited for Halloween?

15. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    For the first time in ages, yes. I'm going to celebrate it with some of the coolest people I know although we don't really celebrate it in Germany.

If you could dress up as anything for Halloween, no matter the cost or complexity of the costume, what would it be?

16. Arkonian Doyle

Arkonian Doyle Escapist

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    A see-through ghost version of myself, no doubt about it:cool:

If you wer given the choice to be bitten b a vampire, would you let it happen or rather not? (this question is totally "interview with the vampire" inspired)

17. Aelfwynn

Aelfwynn Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Yeah probably, I feel as though literature is populated with immortals who waif about and feel sorry for themselves and don't make the most of their immorality and the constant changing nature of humanity. They just wallow. I feel like even if I couldn't go out in the sunlight I would still be able to make the most out of the extended life I was given.

are you going to attend a Halloween party this year?

18. hatchet13

hatchet13 The Nasty Tusken

In the middle of the Dune Sea - Tatooine or Austra
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    I don't get out of the institution till November 3rd 2018 , so no , no party this year

do you have anything capable of making a hole in a concrete wall and a helicopter?

19. Sneakybolt

Sneakybolt Melereb

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    That depends on what you mean. I have a sledgehammer with which I could make a hole in concrete wall eventually, and I could make a nice hole in the helicopter as well with the guns I have access to... or I could use tannerite but that's a bit much for just making a hole.

How big of a hole are you wanting and how thick is the wall? Are you asking if I have something I could possibly shoot through a wall and helicopter? Basically I can buy a lot of explosives and do this thing, yes.

Does my enthusiasm for firearms scare you?

20. hatchet13

hatchet13 The Nasty Tusken

In the middle of the Dune Sea - Tatooine or Austra
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Size of hole : big
    Thickness of wall : thick
    Enthusiasm for firearms : priceless

Are you nervous around tuskens and or raiders ?

Search tags for this page

giant stalacnit mexico