Arwen's Coronation Gown

Discussion in 'Historical Re-enactment' started by Queen Evenstar, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Queen Evenstar

Queen Evenstar New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hi!
    I fell in love with this gown when I saw ROTK and I just had to have it so I decided to make my own copy! I wanted it to be as accurate as possible so after hunting around for possible fabrics for ages but to no avail, I concluded that I would have to embroider the fabric myself! This project has currently taken me 2 years so far and at the moment I have finished the outer dress (made out of hand dyed silk velvet using the swatch of the real dress - it's so close, though mine is a bit bluer which suits my skin tone better anyway :) ) and only beginning to put together the underdress. But I wanted to share some pictures of the sleeve embroidery I have done (just cos it took me so long to do!) I was lucky enough to see the real one in New Zealand when I went there and it is so stunning in real life! I spent hours just happily staring at it while everyone went around the rest of the museum!
    I'm hoping to finish it some time this year (but I said that last year so who knows!) So here they are! And here is the real one: Arwen's Gown

Attached Files:

2. doleniel

doleniel Elven High Priestess

surrounded by idiots with no hope of escape
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Wow! That really is lovely work! I can see how it took you so long, that is some really dense embroidery. But keep it up! It really is lovely and I would love to see the end result.

Out of curiosity, how long have you been sewing? How did you get into it? Did you create your own pattern for the dress as well, or did you modify an existing pattern. Up until this point, I think I was the only person on the forums capable of doing from scratch pattern work (at least the only one who has said anything about it) and it would be nice to have someone with whom to discuss advanced costume work.

3. Queen Evenstar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thank you! I've been sewing all my life on and off with only my mum to teach me. She used to make her own clothes so she taught me the basics but I have studied around to teach myself the techniques I need to create advanced items but this was just crafty things, not clothes. I didn't really get into costuming until I saw LOTR and just fell in love with the costumes. Then it became an obsession - I need Arwen's wardrobe!
    I drafted the pattern for this dress as I was not satisfied with the patterns out there - too many darts and princess seams! I wanted accuracy so I thought if you want something doing properly do it yourself! Luckily it's not too difficult a pattern as I'm still not that competent yet but am eager to improve my skills. I would love to discuss advance costume work with someone, though I'm still quite a novice so bear with me!

4. doleniel

doleniel Elven High Priestess

surrounded by idiots with no hope of escape
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I'm still a student myself, although I'm probably the best out of my year-I had actually experimented with draping and a little bit of drafting before I came to school, and there was at least one person who had never used a sewing machine before. Still, you're the first other person here who seems to have attempted drafting anything substantial. Every time I make a thread to make these forums active, it just dies out within a couple of weeks or someone asks something like "where can I buy a batman costume", which is really not the goal of this section.

I learned sewing from my mom as well, sort of, most of what I've done really comes instinctually rather than being taught for me. I've been doing needlework for 12 years and making garments for nearly eight, so for my age I've got a slightly ridiculous amount of experience.

5. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Oh. My. God. That is one of the absolute best fan-made costuming efforts I've ever seen for LOTR, or just about any movie! That's amazing. It makes my Faramir armour pale in comparison!

Keep up the good work, I'd love to see the finished item, hopefully in 2007 :)

6. Hatter Madigan

Hatter Madigan Mad Hatter Madigan

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Outstanding!!!

I can't say anything beyond that.

7. Queen Evenstar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Well after 3 years I have finally finished this gown! Thank you for your kind words before and I hope you like the finished product! My photos are here!
    I'm pleased with how it turned out considering this is only the second dress I have made. It looks better on me than it does the model as I actually have shoulders so it sits better on the neckline, especially the overdress neckline, which looks a bit weird when it doesn't have shoulders to sit on!
    Hope you all like it! :)

8. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    Nah, I don't like it. I'd rather say I love it!
    It looks simply beautiful - and those details! All I can say is WOW! You should definitely take a photo of yourself wearing it. ;)

Oh, and before I forget it... *steals the costume and runs away with it* :D

9. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    WOW! That's beautiful! I can see how that would take 3 years. Spectacular! Do you have any other photos of your work?

10. Queen Evenstar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thank you!
    I will take a picture of me in it one day but I'm at uni at the moment so it's difficult to get back home (also I should be doing work not pretending to be an elf!)

I don't really have any other work. This took me so long that I never really started anything else! However, now it's completed, I've started on the Requiem Gown and Christine's Think of Me Gown from Phantom of the Opera, as I wanted to do something challenging so a Victorian gown fulfils that well! It is my ambition to make all the dresses from LOTR so I won't be spending 3 years on one again! ;)

11. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Photo page link didn't work for me :(

12. Queen Evenstar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
  13. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    yep, the link works.

great job! its amazing

14. Clarissa

Clarissa New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Wow that is stunning Queen Evenstar and I loved the gown in the ROTK also.

15. Queen Evenstar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for all your compliments! It means a lot to me as I have put so much time into it. I'm currently making Galadriel's Mirror Gown (beading the belt as we speak) for a Christmas present for my mum. Hopefully it won't be too long before I finish that project (only a couple of weeks left til Christmas!) and then I will start on the Requiem gown finally!

16. SEVENWOLVES

SEVENWOLVES GET READY FOR PUNISHMENT

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    the costumes of the orcs and uruk hai were also amazing!

17. Kakashi

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    good luck on that!

18. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Pictures! Pictures! Did you get it done?

19. Queen Evenstar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Well sort of! My mum decided to take some time off work before Christmas so I couldn't do it without her knowing, so in the end I told her so I could get on with it. I've put the dress together but I decided that I needed to bead the fabric to give it weight and sparkle so I am currently doing that. I think it's going to take a while! I managed to make some progress on the Requiem gown as well but that's on hold as I am back at uni. Hopefully I can get some 'in progress' pictures when I next go back home and pick up my camera, which I forgot to bring with me. So I will have to keep you in suspense until then!

20. Kakashi

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    cool, i'll be waiting :)

Search tags for this page

my arwen coronation