Arthur: Fact or Fiction?

Discussion in 'Medieval Boards' started by Lady_of_Shalott, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    We really neeed to revive this board a bit.
    So, let's discuss the man himself, King Arthur. I know it has been determined that he was probably just a real man WAY back in the day and was blown to mammoth proportions over the years. But, so many places have myths about him and such. What do you think?

2. reem

reem Slaps forehead "Doh!"

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, I haven't read alot of literature on him, but from what I do know, I think that he was just a very charismatic and influential man in his day, and like you said, he was blown way out of proportion with the years.
    Just because there are alot of myths about him doesn't mean that they were true, it just means that they were popular and widespread...or so I believe:) But I am by no means an expert:p;)
    reem

3. Radagast

Radagast Art House Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I saw an interesting documentary on him a week ago (history channel). I do believe many aspects of his tale is enlarged, but the basics are probably true. He probably did have an elderly man who helped guide him, perhaps not a wizard, but most probable an old man. He did probably have a magnificent sword, and he probabley was very skilled at using it. Great knights from all over probably did serve him, and was most likely very great.

People just like to spicen things up when they tell stories, and over time it became a little more fantasy related than historical related.

4. Lady_of_Shalott

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    I have to agree, but I never really considered the fact that Merlin could be based on a real person. Very interesting.... Something more to ponder. What was the documentary called? If it's on again I'd like to see it.

5. Radagast

Radagast Art House Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    King Arthur: His Life and Legends

It was pretty decent. Very informative. I was watching it at about 1:00 in the morning though.

6. reem

reem Slaps forehead "Doh!"

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Don't forget that at that time people still strongly belived in Druids and 'magic' and all that sort of thing. So stories can be easily fabricated to explain mysteries about a man and explain what we consider plain ol' wisdom and canny-ness;):p

Look at Greek myths! Look at the legends of Cu Chulainn and Lugh of the Long Hand! Ordinary men with great prowess and knowldge, but with highly exagerated stories obscuring them. Same thing.
    reem

7. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I've read all the King Arthur tales, I believe, and love them. Was the man real? I'd like to think so, if only as a romantic ideal of what a King and Lord should strive to be for his people. Arthur was a tremendous role-model in most ways.

8. Loki the Demon

Loki the Demon "Belgium, Man!"

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    tremendous role model?????

9. dwarf tosser

dwarf tosser "What the Deuce?"

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Maybe it was all a political conspirisy to keep the plague under hand. MUWAHAHAHAHAH!

-dt

10. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Yeah..."in most ways"...so?

11. Anduin

Anduin Numenorean

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Jeremiah.l.burns has a good point. I agree that he was and is a good role model in both his true history and some of his fictional literary history as well. With so many spectuations as to who Arthur really was, whether he was a king or a great warrior or sorts, the man still has commended a lot of attention and respect whatever the case. That is why his tales are still alive and well and so popular even today.
    Arthur influenced and possesed some of the most well rounded and respectabe attibutes the a man could have. Nobility, bravery, shivarly, were just some traits present amongst Arthur and his knights. Whether you believe these to be made up or true is up to you. But since no knows for certain, I choose to believe in the best of Arthur and his knights. His legend will live on for many years to come.
    Is all of it true? Certainly not. Many aspects of Arthur's story actually have been contributed from other smaller stories that originally had nothing to do with Arthur.
    In any case, his story remains most intriguing.

12. Elladan

Elladan Son of Elrond

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, they do say in Britain that Arthur will return when his kingdom is in most dire need....

Although if that were the case, you'd think he'd have shown up during the Battle of Britain.

13. Lady_of_Shalott

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    One would think. I hope there's never anything worse...

But I, like Anduin, like to believe in the best things about Arthur and his knights. It's fun to believe there really was someone like him. And as T. S. Eliot put it, he is the "Once and Future King".

Then again it;s fun to speculate how the original Arthur was and how the story because twisted with other legends and with time....

14. olivia_the_lamb

olivia_the_lamb Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    I believe with all my heart that King Arthur was a real king. That he DID have a Merlin for his guide, and that there was an Isle of Avalon where priestesses lived and whatnot. But that's just me. Who here can say what is right and what is wrong? He is the once and future king! And maybe he will return to us someday *reincarnated obviously*

15. matrix9217

matrix9217 King of the Mark

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, the thing is, that people always put him in the wrong century. The legends that we know are from the tellings of Sir Thomas Mallory, who wrote his book in the 14th century, and who put arthur in the 14th century. Most likely, Arthur would have lived in the 3rd or 4th century AD. If you want (what I think) is a good interpretation of that time period, then read the Mary Stuart books, which tells the story through the eyes of Merlin. Its a good read.

16. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Thank you! There were problems in Arthur's life, sure. We all know that. There were instances the man was not proud of. He's not perfect. But who is? A role model isn't somebody you necessarily try to immitate verbatim, and in each and every way...merely a person to model yourself after, and whom you can draw inspiration from ast to whom you may want to be MORE like.

17. Elvenblademaster

Elvenblademaster New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I never studied him, but I think he was a real dude. Just not as big as movies say.

I really like arthur in monty python holy grail.

"I am Sir Arthur, King of the Britains!"

18. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    "Well I didn't vote for ya!"

19. GARY

GARY New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's interesting that you mention the Battle of Britain and Arthur not turning up.Well ponder this.The engines in the spitfires were called MERLIN.S O

20. GARY

GARY New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sorry about mix up at the end of my last note.After MERLIN I meant to say that Arthur was there in spirit.Spooky eh?