Argonath

Discussion in 'Movies' started by will, Dec 7, 2003.

1. will

will New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just wanted to know..is the argonath actually Isildur and Anarion or is it Elendil and Isildur..just wanted to know

2. byzantine warrior

byzantine warrior Autokratos Konstantinou

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    In the books its supposed to be anarion and isildur but in the movie its elendil and isildur either that or anarion ihas aged faster then his older brother:D

3. RagnarRocker

RagnarRocker New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i thought anarion was the beardless figure at the argonath

4. byzantine warrior

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    No its isildur look at the helmet and we never see isildur with a beard

5. RagnarRocker

RagnarRocker New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    been a while since i've seen the fellowship of the ring but all the pictures of isildur i can find show him with a beard and a more tight fitting helmet than the one worn by the beardless figure at tha argonath

6. byzantine warrior

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Isildur doesnt really have a beard its more like stubble then a long beard like in the argonath.

7. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2004
  8. ElvenStar

ElvenStar Obsessed

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Maybe the Argonath in the movie is Elendil and Anarion? Since Anarion was next in line before he was killed. Just an idea.

9. Sindarking01

Sindarking01 Lord Of the Grey Elves

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think it has to be Elendil on the right, and Anarion on the left, because he is holding an axe I believe. Isildur did not use an axe did he?

10. curunir's bane

curunir's bane Kwisatch Haderach

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Or maybe it is Isildur and anarion just like in the books, but they just look different because maybe the people couldn't make huge statues that looked just like the real people.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2004
  11. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    I'm pretty sure the guy on the right in my poster is Elendil, his helmet and beard is unmistakable. The only strange thing is that he doesn't hold Narsil, but a sword that looks very much like Isildur's. Furthermore, the guy on the left is taller than the guy on the right, although Elendil was called "the tall". Maybe he is Isildur, in a later stage of his life and started to look like his father?

I have, however , doubt about the authenticity of the poster; it looks painted in stead of photographic and the feet of the Aragonath aren't showing (as they clearly do in the movie). I don't have any movie material of FoTR, so I can't compare, but they would be the same guys, I guess...

12. Aragorn Elessar

Aragorn Elessar Envinyatar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Well, if I remember correctly in the book both the statues of the Argonath are holding axes, not swords... no idea what this means for the movie Argonath though

But I'm looking at my FOTR EE DVD Argonath bookend now, and the sword that the one on the right is holding does look like Narsil to me, while the helm looks similar to Elendil's, though not exactly the same... and the helm of the one on the left looks pretty much like Isuldur's crown (the one worn by Elessar in the end of the ROTK movie)

They were obviously supposed to have been built before the Last Alliance, and quite early on in the 2nd age I think (just a guess, about the early on part, but that's what the book said about the Numenoreans setting up shop and building all the big things right away)... while it'd seem a strange idea to have a statue the king guarding the door (esp one that's still alive) and not some of his captin (like his sons), given the sword of the statue (yes, it could be said that Narsil would have been passed down to Isildur some where down the road), the head gear of both the statues, and the time that they were built, I'd say that the statues are Elendil and Isildur.

13. Curufeanor

Curufeanor Master Noldori Elvensmith

The Halls of Mandos in Valinor, on my throne where
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    i dont know, i think its Isildur and Anarion, and that the bearded one is Isildur because of the emphasis the camera has when it zooms in on the statue during the movie, though any other details to back this up I wouldn't be able to come up with. Also the bearded one wore the helm of the king.

14. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
  15. Aenónar

Aenónar Elf of Arda Tauréndor

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    yes it's the same

16. Aenónar

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
  17. Aragorn Elessar

Aragorn Elessar Envinyatar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Here's a pic of the Argonath that came with the FOTR EE DVD set.

It's a bit different from the pics posted by Aenonar from the movie, mainly the hand that's holding the axe, on the one on the (our) left. In the movie it's holding it a bit away from it's body, while the bookend one is holding close to itself, but I guess that's more a manufacturing decision.

From these pics (both from movie and the bookends) you can see that the one holding the sword is wearing a helm much like Elendil's, with the seabird's wings on the front and back, and the sword is clearly Narsil. While the one on the left is holding an axe, and his helm is much like Isildur's crown, the one worn by Aragorn when he was crowned at the end of ROTK.

From these points I would guess that it's indeed Elendil on the right and Isildur on the left.

Attached Files:

18. Turgon883

Turgon883 New Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I think it is Anarion and Isildur... Remember, we know from the weapons and warfare book that Isildurs sword has a similar hilt to narsil. Plus they axe might belong to Anarion. On another note, the figure on the left is clearly wearing a helm (not a crown). So the Aragorn/Isildur's crown reference isn't valid. I'm guessing they went with the book and the statues are Anarion and Isildur.

19. curunir's bane

curunir's bane Kwisatch Haderach

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    OK i think we all agree that the guy on the left looks nothing like isildur, right? Yet people still say that it is him. Yet then why do people then say that there is no way that the guy on the right is isildur because it doesn't look like him? I still think it is isildur and anarion in argonath. That's what i say at least. But hey! We could all write letters to PJ or someone at Weta and ask who it is. Just a suggestion.

20. Aenónar

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    well, the guy on the right is CLEARLY Elendil, look at the helm, and Narsil, that's is NOT Isildurs sword...

then, the question is, why would Isildur pose with an axe?wouldn't he have his sword? or maybe Anarion had an axe? or was it just the book who said that the left guy should have an axe???