Are you happy with Gimli's portrayl throughout LOTR?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Huskylord, Dec 19, 2003.

1. Huskylord

Huskylord New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'll state this first, I loved Peter Jackson's LOTR and am sorry there won't be a fourth (for obvious reasons). One of the small pet peeves I had with the movie was the overuse of Gimli being there strictly for comedy relief. I felt they often times gave Legolas/Aragorn/Gandalf etc their own individual moment to shine. They each had the opportunity to have the crowd gasp and ooww and awe at them overcoming the enemy forces. I just felt they didn't offer the same moment for Gimli. I know they showed him as a methodical warrior cutting down orc/goblins left right and center. I just wished they had one scene in which he could have displayed a trait unique to Dwaven fighting style that may have been the equivalent of a Legolas with his bow. Of course I'm referring to Peter Jackson's creative license throughout the movie to interpret battle scenes and would not want people to come out of the theater thinking an extended Gimli role derive from the authentic LOTR novels. Maybe the director could have shown a better use of his strength or endurance? Perhaps tossing some battle axes or having his own one on one showdown with an enemy of considerable power.

Anyways, just food for thought.

2. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    I would have to agree. I liked Gimli's portrayal in FOTR, but he seemed just to be used for comedy in the last two. I wasn't too thrilled about that, because Gimli is the best. I know they were always pressed for time in the movies, but they could have done SOMETHING.

3. Scrinlord

Scrinlord Dark Lord of Guppies

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I really like the comedy relief he provided, but at the same time, he DID need something more substantial.

4. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Although Gimli in the books and film did hack up ocrs left right and centre...i think that he looked light a bit a of a wimpy dwarf mainly becos of his axe.......is he not supposed to have a double headed axe as in the book...oh and the single hewaded axe in the film look s a bit rubbish as its so small and very undwarfish!

5. RagnarRocker

RagnarRocker New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    that was the worst comic relief i've ever seen, that should sum up my thoughts on the 'movie gimli'

6. Shinagani

Shinagani New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't know what you want from the poor little guy, I mean you disregard his constant Orc-hacking, the fact that he's thrown himself(and been thrown) into multiple hordes of Orcs, and snapped an Orc's neck with his bare hands. Sure he doesn't become King of Gondor and get the Elven chick in the end, but lets face it, if he did the story wouldn't make very much sense, now would it?

7. Aiglos

Aiglos New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sninagani, you're right. He did kick some orc butt. However, he never got that special "oooh" moment for himself (ex: leggy's arrow at the big stairs in moria, his surfing scene, aragorn standing alone against a company of uruks at Amon Hen, him slaying Lurtz, etc etc.).

I think there was too much comic relief, though it was generally very well executed. Too much just takes away from the effect when it is employed.

8. Lady_of_Shalott

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    Comic relief is fine and sometimes a good thing, but when it mkaes him just seem stupid, it's gone a tad too far.

9. asap

asap New Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    What's so sad about Gimli is not so much the fact that he doesn't get his very own special moment of glory. The saddest thing is that he has been turned into a posing, dumb, ridiculous ape-with-a-beard...

10. Lady_of_Shalott

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    Exactly. Even if he hadn't gotten his "moment of glory" it would have been OK. Just leave off the dumb dwarf persona!

11. Glaurung

Glaurung Getting families together

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I disagree,
    I enjoyed Rhys-Davies' portrayal of Gimli. Perhaps the comedy relief part was a bit over the top but remember PJ had to cater to a wide audience, most of whom had never read the novels. He isn't far off what I imagined him to be. And as for moment of glory - what about his stand with Aragorn at the front gate of the Hornburg? Pretty speactacular I thought. Dumb Dwarf persona? I don't think so - remember dwarves were a people very quick to anger, who held terrible grudges, but had an equally strong sense of humour and a love of music and highjinx similar to that of hobbits.

12. asap

asap New Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Another one of distinct Dwarven features is pride. Dwarves behave in a dignified manner when they are in the company of other races. Gimli, on many cases, did not, therefore, behaved completly unlike Dwarves in Tolkien's works.

Not a statement, just my personal opinion :).

13. Dystopia Eternal

Dystopia Eternal The Windbringer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I enjoyed the portrayal of Gimli, and I think the writers did a good job of making it fit with the movie, but anyone who has read the books will agree that it is not accurate.

14. Glaurung

Glaurung Getting families together

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Read the books, don't agree. Sorry. You want inaccuracy try Wood's Frodo.

15. Curufeanor

Curufeanor Master Noldori Elvensmith

The Halls of Mandos in Valinor, on my throne where
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I think that Gimli's movie persona was good the way it was, and it wasn't completely innaccurate, just a little bit. And he DID have a double bladed axe, which he used more often than his other axes at times (Moria, Amon Hen, Helm's Deep, Pellenor, he lost it at the Black Gates--in the movie at least). The little stubby, single-bladed axe WAS his throwing axe (remember ? he threw it at the troll in Moria). And besides, I rather liked the design of the single-bladed axe, as it was the best looking one. He also had his own time on the screen, though briefly, as he dropped orc-after-orc to save Aragorn when the wall was destroyed. He fought off the whole lot of em, until he fell into the water, and Aragorn and the Elves came to save him.

16. Curufeanor

Curufeanor Master Noldori Elvensmith

The Halls of Mandos in Valinor, on my throne where
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Gimli slides under an Uruk Hai Berserker
    [​IMG]
    Gimli's Head-count
    [​IMG]
    Gimli's Battle Axe
    [​IMG]
    Gimli @ Amon Hen
    [​IMG]

17. isengard111

isengard111 The Master Chief

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    He used his throwing axe twice, at least two times I can remember. Both were in FotR-One in Moria, on the troll, and once again at Amon Hen, as soon as he and Legolas pop out from behind a pillar.

18. Thorin

Thorin Avatar of Darkness

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I see nothing wrong with Gimili at all. Comedy is a great thing, and people aren't seeing that these days (not saying that you guys dont) But a lot of the kids at my school don't understand Monty Python or British humour. He had is moments like at the front gate, when he blew the big horn! I thought that was amazing, the air required to fill that and make it sound... wow! The story was fine with all of the comedy. :)

19. Thranduil

Thranduil Holder of Aeglos

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My main thought of Gimli in the books was that he was a bad ass dwarf who was unbeatable and the toughest in the fellowship. I thought the same of him in the movie. He had many small "moments of glory". How about when he was basicly benchpressing two wargs and an ork (whom he simply snapped his neck, no problem), standing on top of the wall at helm's deep just goin' at it, got more Uruks than the "pointy eared elf princeling" and when he is thrown into swarms of Uruk-hai two times and lives to tell the tale. He also did awsome at the pelenor fields. He did have a bit much comedy though.

20. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    On the other hand... what is Gimli doing in the Fellowship? The only use I can think of is that Dwarven were concidered the most effective Orc-slayers by many, including Galadriel. Sure I can understand Gandalf/Elrond/JRRT including a Dwarf in the fellowship, to symbolise the united effort of the three races (Human, Elf, Dwarven) against the Enemy and the Orcs, but besides... What is he doing there? Sure I can understand the choice of Aragorn, as (second) most important member, being on his way to kingship. And Boromir, who was heading that way anyway. Elfs are always an asset in missions like these. Yes, there is a bit of an overkill of Hobbits in the group but whether or not that was wise or not is a very different discussion

I think PJ felt a bit the same about Gimli, not sure what his role shood be in the quest. In the book the story of Gimli revolts around his extraordinary friendship with Legolas the Elf, the only real friendship between Elf and Dwarf I know about in the third age. I think PJ deemed that he couldn't include this story to the full in his movie, so he made up another function for the Dwarf. For the better, i think. Gimli would have become surplus, remembered as "the ninth" of the fellowship. Now, that would have been unforgivable to my taste, since he isn't the worst of the group by a long shot. Afer all, fitting 1000 pages, in 10.5 hour of movie requires a bit of creative fitting. Movies can't be an exact copy of the books they were based upon, it is the creative feeedom of the director to fill in the inefortable gaps as good as he could, without touching the main storyline. In Gimli's case, I think he did a fine job.

At the end of the story, Gimli remains an unforgettable character, something he deserves. John Rhees-Davies just put his best into it, and it has payed off. That Gimli isn't completely coherent with his book-counterpart is forgivable. After all, without concidering the books, the movies were the best ever, and long to come. That's what counts.