Are you an elitist?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by JIM, Jan 29, 2015.

1. JIM

JIM zombie Turncoat

Ratings:
    +329 / 1 / -0
    after chatting with @JNK i started thinking about my own online gaming history. turns out i'm an elitist arse as well.
    I play a strategy game and realised i always end up in clans with the same people every realm. we don't allow beginners to join and actively hunt those that are either learning or set in their ways as a "simmer", a simmer being someone playing sim village in that they never attack other players and usually build their cities so as to maximise silver production at the cost of troop numbers.
    our main enemies are the mass invite clans that do invite beginners, which is sad since these mass invite clans do not teach, they simply create more simmers.

so, my question is, in your own experience, are you also an elitist in online gaming?

2. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
    hmmm... back in Earth2025 days, I used to hire new members and teach them... usually used to barrage their country until I make a perking lot :D and they write: "if you wanna learn how to play like me, join our clan" :)

3. JIM

JIM zombie Turncoat

Ratings:
    +329 / 1 / -0
    nah, they're food XD

4. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    I don't much get into online games - mostly because I find that I have to "work" harder than I want to get anywhere in my casual entertainment; but also because online games oft require constant playing to keep up - whilst I'm more the kind who plays a game intensively for a while then might not touch it for weeks or months; that typically doesn't work in most mmos (you end up so far behind!)

That said I'd say that I'm oft one to prefer to educate than punish when in a position of power. You've basically a few choices - you can do what we all do which is to prey upon the weak - they are good sources of easy wins. But also sometimes if the social structure is stronger, then its good to welcome them into the fold. Because chances are they can be trained- taught and might become semi-competant. Most will, generally, also then be quite happy to support you - there you've gained a loyal ally!

Higher level players will oft join together and might even play together and compete - this is oft because they enjoy the challenge more than the win and thus want to have fun with the challenge not just bash on newbies. I dislike those groups who focus purely upon bashing the newbies - yeah its easy wins and its not agianst game rules; but its cheap thrills.

5. JIM

JIM zombie Turncoat

Ratings:
    +329 / 1 / -0
    i understand what you're saying, i really do, but the sheer numbers involved in these "mass invite" clans makes up a huge difference.
    as an example, here are the top 10 clan rankings for my area (area 4)
    [​IMG]

and here are the top 20 clan rankings for the total realm:

[​IMG]

as you can see, large the clans with a large number of players dominate both the realm and the area, while we smaller, aggressive clans struggle to stay viable. They tend to flock in large groups, which stunts their growth but allows them to provide large numbers of troops as support and makes attacks against them difficult to say the least.

they also use a LOT of servants, allowing them to quickly replace troops and to raise the approval rating in their cities if you are not perfect in your attacks
    (nb. to take over a village a player must lower the "yea" of that village to below 50%, this is achieved by sending governors, accompanied by troops, each governor lowers the "yea" by between 14 and 17% and so it takes a minimum of 3, but in most cases 4. there is a spell available (costs real $$) which raises the "yea" back to 100%, so unless you can hit 4 governors in less than 1 second, or catch the player offline, you are less likely to take a village from a "credit card warrior")

6. Dreamscaper

Dreamscaper Royal Hamster Wrangler

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -0
    The gaming clan I had (still sorta running, even though nobody left actually plays anything together, lol) we focused on getting newbies in and teaching them the game. Of course, we never were very big because of this focus. I think we had about 11 people online at once at a maximum. In our hayday our most powerful members were the ones where us mid-levels that recruited them right out of the tutorial. The current guild I'm in for a different game (if they haven't kicked me for inactivity by now) is pretty similar.

I guess its more what clan you join and what your aims are. Those big clans are in it to do battle, heavy pvp elements, territory wars and all that jazz. I've always tended towards community clans that are more laid back and focus more on chatting and helping out. I simply cannot keep a gaming schedule steadily to join and contribute to them.

7. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Eh when I played WoW at the most, I was probably being an elitist jerk, I was raging on newbies that died during raid and kicked people from groups here and there. But now I'm a bit more chill again :D Don't have time to raid more seriously. So now im trying to be a tad bit more inclusive. And now I rather rage at the people that are elitists instead ^^,

8. Midnattblod

Midnattblod Ranger of Shadow

Ratings:
    +528 / 3 / -0
    in the online games I play, I try not to be too elitist, though it does happen sometimes, but I'm never a jerk about it. mostly because I remember how it felt being new to the game lol.