Are goblins immortal like elves?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Pandadug, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Pandadug

Pandadug New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Since they were created from elves, shouldn't they also be immortal? Also, how tall were they? In Moria, Aragorn fights one almost "man high", implying that most of them weren't. It would make sense if they were short; matching them up to the Dwarves better for the endless wars between them.

2. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 2 / -0
    Well, when you say immortal, then I would say I have a huge axe with a different opinion :azzangel:

But, yes; it does appear that goblins - named Orcs in the rest of the Middle Earth saga - are generally considered immortal. They do appear to follow the rules of Elves, as they are - for want of better description - descendants of Elvenkind, but corrupted by the evils of Morgoth, after the fight was taken to the lands in the East. I don't believe there are too many heroic Orcs which have survived historic battles to pop up elsewhere, so as to prove their immortality.

3. Pandadug

Pandadug New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah. I wrote Goblins instead of Orcs, didn't I? I had the Hobbit on my mind, I guess. :)

4. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +330 / 2 / -1
    You know I never wondered if LoTR Orcs/Goblins were immortal before, but it makes sense that they could be since they were originally Elves twisted by evil. I agree with Tur though that it is likely they are "theoretically immortal". I think it's reasonable to assume that their violent temperaments and culture prevent any of them from attaining an age anywhere close to immortality.
    Now the other question that follows for me from this discussion is this:
    LoTR Elves end up in the halls of Mandos when their bodies are slain and the race of "men" go who-knows-where when they die. What the heck happens to Orcs and Goblins?

5. Pandadug

Pandadug New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good question. The same could be asked of trolls too. Oh well. I guess I shouldn't expect Tolkien to have covered EVERYTHING.

6. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +330 / 2 / -1
    and we'll never know now :(