Archery - making your own arrows

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by Mububban, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Harrison

Harrison The Best Beatle

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I did that today, it hurt.

2. CrowCallerWoman

CrowCallerWoman Correllian Tradition

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So then, how would one go about buying a bow if there are no bowyers around were one lives, and the only source is off the net? Then what?? :confused:

Until next time...

3. gohekan

gohekan The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    lonearcher isee you are from the lone star state,As I.And i was wondering if if there are any midieval paintbal arenas in the area?

4. Lonearcher

Lonearcher Nocturnal

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Gohekan,

Sorry I haven't replied sooner, I've been away from the board for awhile.

As to your question, I do not know. There are quite a few people here interested in medieval reenactment and the SCA is active here but I have not pursued it myself. I would recommend that you check into any local SCA groups, they would most likely know. I believe there is a group known as NERO that is active here as well.

5. gohekan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ok sweet :draught:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2004
  6. Christophe of Grey

Christophe of Grey Cordwainer to Royals

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Gohekan,
    If you can't actually shoot the bow before you buy, I would suggest asking around about the bows you are interested in. This year at Pennsic I stumbled upon a vendor of Mongolian bows. I had shot the Kasai bows the year before and was somewhat disappointed as I didn't feel they lived up to the billing - no bow shock, shoot farther with less poundage, etc. I talked with this new vendor and told him that bow shock was one issue I don't like in a bow. He gave me two bows to take to the range. One was a true mongoian style and the other was a hungarian bow. To an untrained eye, they would appear to be basic horse bows. The Mongolian bow had what I would rate as medium bow shock. The Hungarian bow has very light bow shock and shot very sweet. When I came back and reported to the vendor he told me that that was as expected. The Mongolian bow would have more shock due to its construction. I bought the Hugarian bow. BTW folks, it was $200 less than the Kasai bow and has horn trim on the limb tips (forgot the proper term for them) and is wood with a fiberglass laminate in the middle. Kasai bows have fiberglass limbs. (Points for the purists in the crowd.)

So back to the subject, narrow your choices down then look for someone who either owns one of the bows or has shot the bow. I know I have seriously disappointed myself in the past by geting all physced up for a certain item. Buying it sight unseen or untested. Then being seriously disappointed with it. As bows are not cheap, at least good ones that we would want to actually own, I think it's best to investigate as much as you can.

Good luck,

7. elrond243

elrond243 The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    i asked this on a different thread but i purchased a horse bow from a stall at a renasance fair i know the era is a little off but he said only to use wood arrows why is that authenticity or somthing else?

8. gohekan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I use a good old homemade longbow.But sadly Ive come to realize that I will probibably never use my skills with the bow , but then I found medeval paintball so i need some1 to give me something about it.PlZ

9. elrond243

elrond243 The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    my horse bow is insanly smooth and has no hand shock, the use of a thumb ring is not what i use i commonly use the regular two finger draw the thumb shot was designed by the nomadic horseman of the middle and far east so when placing an arrow on the string the hand would not have to move to another position making the archery more dangerous with the amount of time involved to knock and fire an arrow from horse back. grozerarchery.com makes horse bows that i would be honered to try but , they also make a longbow that has the properties of a recurve with a pistol grip or as some call it a "long curve" the hand shock doesn't seem to bother me asmuch as it does to others then again i'm just hay bail shooting. sorry to get off the original subject.

Search tags for this page
6mm tas oak dowel arror shaft
6 mm inside diameter arrow blanks western australia
bow made from tasmanie oak
tas oak arrows
tasmanian oak arrow shafts

tasmanian oak arrows