Archery 101

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by Jessehk, Apr 8, 2004.

1. Cheesy Goodness

Cheesy Goodness The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    ...well I feel stupid now. I tried bending it with my hands, and the thing snapped...now I have 3 pieces. As a last effort, I tried using the propane torch, but i stopped quickly because it started to melt. Since it doesnt need it to be perfect, and it doesn't have to take that much use, do you think that regular old duct tape would work, just to keep it together?

2. Christophe of Grey

Christophe of Grey Cordwainer to Royals

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    cheesy,
    While duct tape can solve a great many things I don't think this is one of them. Without going into the physics of the situation, just think for a moment how much force it takes to fling an object the weight of an arrow 20, 30, or 40 yards. Then invision that force delivered to the arrow in about 1/20th a second. I think what would happen to your duct taped arrow is that it would shatter in flight, like right off the bow, if even that far!

Back in my combat archery days I was shooting wooden shafted arrows. Now the blunt on the front end was considerably heavier that any tip used in target or hunting archery. In the third battle of the day, significant because I shot all my arrows in the previous two battles and they had been checked by the marshals for breakage et al to be safe, I shot one of my arrows. Just like in the Star Trek movie where they go back to recover a whale and the harponers shot their harpon at the cloaked ship, my arrow went out about 20 yards and just compressed like it hit an invisible wall, and fell to the ground! Now it was a wooden shaft completely covered with finberglass strapping tape! Just gives you an idea of the force delivered to your arrows from your bow. BTW the bow I used in combat archery was only 30 pounds.

I think you would be better off using your duct tape money to buy some wooden dowels.

3. Cheesy Goodness

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    i didnt think that the duct tape thing would work...worth a try right?

the hardware store wasnt open, so no dowles, but i did get a crappy 2 dollar arrow that is about 3/4 the size of my normal ones, but if I use the recurve that has a shorter draw length, it should be fine right?

just wrap cloth around the tip-area and put oil on it right?

4. Christophe of Grey

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    cheesy,
    2 dollar arrows - Wallmart sells arrows cheap. What I've noticed is that the cock vane, the one that is a different color signifying it should be up when the arrow is nocked, does not always cause the slot in the nock to line up with the string. That's the whole reason for having a cock vane! But you get what you pay for and picking through the lot there are some good practice arrows in there.

As for draw length. your draw length is irrelevant to the bow you are using. Draw length is basically how long your arm is. Well not exactly. It's the distance between your hand you hold the bow in and your draw hand at your anchor point. That remains constant no matter which bow you use. However, the most common draw length is 28 inches. Using an arrow shorter can causes issues. Prime being that you over draw the arrow such that the tip of the arrow jams into the bow handle! You can imagine other "interesting" issues should the front of the arrow come off the arrow rest.

You and your flaming arrows! Here you will need some overlap of arrow length relative to draw length. If your draw length is 28 inches use an arrow about 36 inches long. This way you have plenty of arrow sticking out beyond the bow. Wrap the tip end of the arrow with something that will hold a flamable liquid such as gas or keorsene. Soak the fabric, light, shoot, run for the hills so the neighbors don't come after you because you just set their corn field on fire! (We have talked about your sense of humor haven't we???)

5. elrond243

elrond243 The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    hey guys,
    i'm a teenager with a old fred bear three piece, a york compound and a hickory ipe long bow. all over 50# i shoot from about a hundred or so feet at my bails of hay with a tack on target. I was wondering of anywhere U.S. that i can find a dealer of kyudo epuitment its a japanese syle of archery thanks for the help.

6. Lonearcher

Lonearcher Nocturnal

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Elrond, welcome to the murder. :D (Yep, that is definately a cool name for a group!)

Sounds like you got some interesting bows there, very cool. I don't know much about Kyudo, but I have seen an ad for a company that I think produces that type of bow, there name is Yumi, I think. They usually run a small ad in Traditional Bowhunter magazine, the new issue should be available in the next week or so.

Hope this helps.

7. elrond243

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    thanks alot and as i've been reading this, i'd hate to be your nieghbors flaming arrows ,night shooting ,duck tapped arrows it would make for a fun run for the paper boy. about self nocking arrows i found that if you saw perpendicular to the grain, and then place a piece of plastic in the cut . then saw the other way it will keep the nocks from spliting shown on http://www.saxonfox.com/images/sfarrows.jpg
    and about those quivers christophe did you say that you sold them? i would love to purchase one http://gallery.fantasyvault.net/showphoto.php?photo=1149&password=&sort=1&cat=all&page=2 thanks for the help guys.

8. Cheesy Goodness

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    CoG: sorry about the mix-up. I meant to say that it has a much higher poundage, so i wouldnt have to pull back as far. It didn't work anyway, because it's WAY to hard to shoot without pulling back as far as you can. Now i gotta get a huge arrow and shoot that. I also don't wanna shoot a perfectly good hay-bale (the farmers around here would decapitate me with a spatula if they found out), so I'm gonna shoot the bejezus out of the one that i have, then i'll have an excuse to BURN IT!!! GWHAHAHA!!!!!...ahem
    (BTW sry for being so late with the PM...me the the paypal user havent been around at the same time)

elrond243: this particular group of archers (the murder) is one that will help you out with anything you need archery-wise. You picked the right thread to come to. Welcome!

9. Christophe of Grey

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    cheesy,
    Interesting. We had an archery shoot here today with some new folks. One guy, who had shoot a long time ago but not recently, was most interesting to watch. First he started by pinching the arrow instead of using either a thumb pull or finger pull. OK, 'cause the English used to do that. But he only pulled the arrow back until his hand was right in front of his face - half pull. The first three arrows landed halfway between him and the 20 yard target. Ultimately he got into full pulls. Watching a newbie, or new retunee really makes one think about all they have learned to improve at this sport.

I have a new idea to put into your somewhat twisted brain - realize that it's those types of folks I most relate to!!!! How about tieing lady finger firecrackers to your arrows. Light them then shoot them up in the air. They should go off before the arrow falls back to the ground. They should also produce a puff of flame when they go off. Off course you could advance this to bottle rockets...........oh yeah, going bad now!!!!!!!! "The bombs bursting in air........" You wouldn't be destoying your neighbors crops but you would be giving them a wake up call! I would try that here, but my neighbors are sherrifs and they take such a dim view of this type of fun.

10. Lonearcher

Lonearcher Nocturnal

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Lady fingers tied to arrows, funny you should mention that Christophe. As a boy I used to tie black cats to my arrows and shoot them. :eek:

See what TV can do to a childs mind? I got the idea from watching "The Dukes of Hazzard". Of course that's also where I learned most of my driving skills so it's not all bad! :D

Last edited: Jul 11, 2004
  11. Lonearcher

Lonearcher Nocturnal

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Elrond, yep we probably should have a "Do not try this at home and if you do we're not responsible for your actions" warning at the begining of this thread!

By the way that's a good idea about using the plastic in self nocks, I've seen reference to bits of animal horn being used for that in the past. Nice looking arrows too.

12. Cheesy Goodness

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    CoG: how could you call me twisted? I'm deeply offended!! Now please excuse me while I hone my archery skills and make my dog dance at the same time. lol
    about the fireworks...that is possibly the best idea since...dare I say it...cheese :dmonkey:
    hmm...either get in some serious trouble and risk burning the whole town down, or take pictures of a bottle rocked flying through the sky...the choice is obvious :D

ok i got it...bottle rocket on the arrow, and shoot it at a gas-soaked hay bale, in the middle of a corn field...hurrah for fire! lol

remember kiddies, fire is always a safe way to have fun without hurting anyone (that stays 500 feet away) lol

13. Christophe of Grey

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    elrond243 - Yep, I do sell those quivers. I'll PM you about it.

cheesy - Twisted. All I can say is "Welcome." My wife tells me I'm twisted at least twice a day. I'm known for "noticing" things that folks would hope go unnoticed. Of course that ultimately finds it's way in their personalized folklore. It's my role. And besides I learned long ago truth should never get in the way of a great story!

14. Christophe of Grey

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Re: Flaming arrows and Cylumes

Last night I was doing some night shooting at a cylume stick on my 20 yard target. I had a question of "What happens when/if you actually hit the cylume?" Well let me tell you, it splatters all over the target and your arrows! I splattered some on the target to see if it would work to illuminate the target. Maybe it does, but I couldn't see it from 20 yards away. HOWEVER - are you reading Cheesy? - when the cylume juice gets on your arrows it keeps glowing. So - still reading Cheesy? - this could be a way to make flaming arrows without having your neighbors chase after you because you set their hay field on fire! I was thinking about using miniature cylumes taped to the arrows, but after last night I've reconsidered. The miniature cylumes could get scraped off if your arrow passed through the target. The cylume juice takes about 5 or 6 passes before it comes off.

15. Christophe of Grey

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Re: Flaming arrows and Cylumes

OK folks, I get bored with my leather stuff easily (the stuff I make for myself). I just uploaded pictures of my newest back style quiver. I'm going to be using this one at Pennsic this year and wanted a "walking billboard" type quiver. My wife gave me grief because the flowers on the front strap aren't the same style as the Celtic stuff on the back. I thought Celtic knotts would be just too boring! Done that too much. There is a matching arm guard picture as well.

Let me know what you think.

16. elrond243

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    if you guys wanted to have arrows to shoot inthe dark the are L.E.D. lights called illuminock i belive you can find them at www.cabela's.com

17. Harrison

Harrison The Best Beatle

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I've seen those before, they're cool.

18. Christophe of Grey

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    elrond,
    Thanks for the link to the glowing nocks. I think it was Lonearcher who first mentioned these little gizmos. I like my $1.75 cylume stick broken and splattered on the arrows. Price is better! I'm sure CheesyGoodness would prefer using real flame. He seems to be into the burning hay roll thing. LOL!!!

19. Cheesy Goodness

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    HA...i thought you knew me better than that Cristophe. :D I might...MIGHT do it sometime this week, because the hay-bale i use got wet and its starting to mold...the fact that's wet shouldnt matter if theres 10 times more gas and oil than the water ;)...now to get a dowel rod...*skips merrily to Wal-Mart with gas and propane torch*

20. Christophe of Grey

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    cheesy,
    A comment said to me often from Brave Heart - "You're just not right in the head."

Search tags for this page
bow arrow toronto easton jazz

design of holmesgaard bow

holmegaard bow
martin savannah string nock causes problems