Archery 101

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by Jessehk, Apr 8, 2004.

1. Christophe of Grey

Christophe of Grey Cordwainer to Royals

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Crusader,
    That's pretty cool! It took me two trys but I got the computer! Although, I like shooting real humans better. There is such a satisfying feeling when you hear them grunt after being shot!

2. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    yeah i can imagine, but the computer game is still fun, i nailed a shot in the guys head in a pot shot.

3. Lonearcher

Lonearcher Nocturnal

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi all. Crusader I'm afraid that I couldn't try the game yet, my computer here at work is filtered. I'll give it a try at home.

Christophe, I'm glad you liked the night shooting idea, I haven't done it yet but I'll try to give it a go this next week when I'm off.

Cheesy, 3 Rivers Archery can make a string for you as well. I recently ordered a couple from a guy on the internet, I'm at work and don't have his info here but I'll send you a p.m. tomorrow with his contact info. The strings that he made for me were excellent! He builds endless loop strings and has several color choices available and the best part is they were only $5.50 plus shipping! If I buy strings locally they are at least ten bucks.

Last edited: May 30, 2004
  4. Cheesy Goodness

Cheesy Goodness The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Lonearcher: That would be awesome! I'm trying to fix up this old bow for my grandpa, and it's old...like 1950...I just windexed the whole thing and Dusted it off...not lookin too shabby at all. Good thing he didn't keep it strung the whole time :cool:

I FINISHED MY QUIVER THIS MORNING!!!!
    I did everything CoG said, and i put a ring or sewer pipe on the top to keep it open...not bad at all. Next Step: Be as fast and accurate as Lego :cool:

CoG: My recurve can shoot a lot farther than 100 yards...I was way off. Plus my angle that i had it up wasn't the best, and the wind blowing doesn't help matters much I suppose :p

I'm trying to lite my arrows on fire tonite...Good thing you can't lite field dirt on fire :ybounce:
    I can see it now...20 archers with flaming arrows shooting into a gas-soaked field...HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!!!!!!!! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

5. Christophe of Grey

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    cheesy goodness,
    So do we get the privilege of pictures of your finished quiver???????????

20 archers shooting arrows into a gas-soaked field - hmmmmmmmmm. Reminds me of the beginning of Gladiator when they "unleashed Hell". (Wasn't that awsome!) BTW cruising through the WallMart sporting goods section today, I noticed they sell very small cylume sticks that are designed to go inside fishing lures. I guess it's for when you are fishing for lantern fish (laughing myself crazy!). I was thinking though, that they could be taped to "regular" arrows and serve as re-usable burning arrows. Might have to try that.

6. Lonearcher

Lonearcher Nocturnal

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Christophe, thanks, I'll have to look for those. I have to stop by W.M. on the way home anyway. Can't wait to give it a try!

7. Christophe of Grey

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Lonearcher,
    After I wrote the previous message I got to thinking - a seriously dangerous thing for one to be doing!!!!! However, I suggested taping the mini cylume to the tip of the arrow. Problem is, if you shoot anything and the arrow penetrates much at all it would scrape the cylume right off. If you tape it too far back on the shaft it will get peeled off by the bow when you shoot the arrow. UNLESS the cylume were taped on the same side of the arrow as the cock vane. I'm thinking perhaps just in front of the cock vane. That vane is always going to be opposite the bow anyway. It may work. If you try it let us know here.

Just had another idea - How about gluing, using glue that holds but also can come off later, i.e. silastic type glue - silicone calking materal, to glue the mini cylume between the vanes. Maybe between the cock vane and one of the hen vanes.

8. Cheesy Goodness

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    I'll post pics after i get some arrows...it's not the best by any means, but it works...thats all I care about.

We just changed the oil in our car...lots o flamin arrows this summer :cool:

9. Christophe of Grey

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Well folks, stay tuned. I just uploaded one picture of the new side quiver I made. In the picture in the PhotoPost gallary it looks like an ordinary side quiver. After the PhotoPost pidgeons have dinner and get back to work, or whatever other $%^#$%^ reason it is choosing to not work right now, I will post the other pictures showing what's unique about this quiver - It stands on its own. I made a metal spike that is carried on the backside that you can drive into the ground and it holds the quiver upright. The quiver can hold about 20 arrows with field tips. Got the idea from a friend in Florida and I'm naming this model after her, Sennach.

10. Lonearcher

Lonearcher Nocturnal

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Christophe, actually I was just planning on shooting at them. :D I prefer to aim at a smaller target, after all, aim small miss small. It's still a miss but close counts! ;)

Cheesy, I want pictures! Preferably of those flaming arrows in flight.

11. Cheesy Goodness

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    It's going to be a while before I can post a picture of the quiver or the flaming arrows...seeing as I have...no arrows :cool:

You should see them probably by the end of next week at the earliest.

Seriously (no joke) I want to shoot a flaming arrow at a hay bale with a little oil on it...at night of course. I'll be sure to have pics of that :cool:

That sounds like a nice quiver CoG...*checks watch*...that's been a long dinner : )

post pics!

12. Christophe of Grey

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    OK folks. I guess the carrier pidgeons went off strike! I just finished uploading the other two pictures of my new stickup/side quiver design. It's basically a side quiver that also carries a metal spike on its side that can be stuck in the ground to hold the quiver in place as a free standing arrow holder. It works very cool for shooting at the range!

I also up loaded my newest design. It's again a sided quiver based on a 15th century Italian design. I intend to use it with my Moorish personna and as the Moores had nothing living in their art work due to religious reasons I choose to stamp a graphic pattern on it. It also gave me a chance to use a new stamp I had and wanted to use! The backside is not stamped and is solid black. The edge is laced with a round endge lacing. Tedious to do but very pretty when finished. Plus it completely covers the unfinished edge.

The quiver does not have a strap at this point but I intend to make a strap that will allow one of three options. 1 - worn hanging off a belt. 2 - One strap over the shoulder. 3 - One strap to wear the quiver back pack style when carrying to and from the range.

Comments and commisions welcomed.

13. Frodocious

Frodocious New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

I have just bought a Korean style bow I was wondering if any of you could offer any advice on shooting it. I took a couple of archery classes about 10 years ago and remember a few things about shooting, but not a great deal.

One thing I was wondering about in particular was, how do I avoid the hand that is holding the bow becoming all scratched and cut up by the flights on the arrows? I have tried not supporting the arrow on my hand and that seems to work but I'm not sure what the correct technique would be?

Cheers in advance!

14. Christophe of Grey

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Frodocious,
    (Great name. Does that mean you are a precocious Frodo?)

Koren bows are similar to Mongol bows, known today as Horse bows. The bow hand IS the arrow rest. Other than developing a serious callous on the bow hand you will need to wear a glove. There is a glove made just for this purpose. It looks like a fingerless glove and covers the web of the bow hand where the arrows rest. But a simple solution is to get a pair of leather work gloves from your local hardware store.

One of the issues with shooting this style bow is the nocking point and arrow rest relationship. Due to the lack of an arrow rest IF, big if here, you do not grip the bow in the same place each time you change the relation between where the arrow rests and where it is nocked on the string and, hence, the elevation of the shot. So one time you shoot over, next you shoot short. My thought is to put a single wrap of string around the bow such that it goes between your index and middle finger of your bow hand. Then each time you pick up the bow this string simply rests between those two fingers. Then you can put a nocking point on the string and the nock point/rest relation becomes consistent and so does your shooting. After you get used to the bow you could possibly remove the string indexer.

The next issue is how you hold the string. Bows of this nature in period were typically very high poundage. As such, the archers pulled the string with their thumbs not the English style using fingers. Modern archers typically use a three finger method, one over, two under the arrow. As the thumb is a much stronger digit - particularly when hooked under the other fingers - than the other fingers archers could pull tremendous poundages. I have never been able to perfect this technique. Folks who have use thumb rings. I've seen them made of metal and real pretty ones made of stone. They are also made of horn. I believe 3 Rivers Archery has them in their catalog along with a "make it yourself" kit. However, I would use the method that works best for you. Then if someone starts to chastize you for using the wrong technique, simply ask them to retrieve your arrows for you. Then when they are down range............well you get the idea!

So after you get all this sorted out your next step in consistency of shooting is developing a consistent anchor point. Today the most common recommended anchor point is, using the three finger technique, to have the tip of your middle finger just touching the corner of your mouth. Again, I don't use this. Moustache gets in the way. Or, as much as I shoot, by the end of summer I would have a one sided moustache! I anchor with my string thumb top at the corner of my jaw (using the three finger hold). Make sure your draw arm is horizontal and pull with your back muscles. Lots of folks tend to pull with their arms and don't keep their draw arm horizontal. You get tired a great deal faster this way.

Start by shooting at a target about 20 yards away. After you can get most of your arrows inside a circle about 8 inche in diameter, move to longer distances. The object is consistency. Develop your technique and stick with it.

How about posting a picture of your new bow? Hope this helps.

15. Frodocious

Frodocious New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Christophe,

Thank you very much for those tips, I guess I need to go out and buy a glove then (or search round the house for an old one). My bow string already has a nocking point on it (2 metal pieces that the arrow nock clicks in between - I like the suggestion for the string round the bow and will try it tomorrow.

My bow is a Samick SKB (I would post photos but, unfortunately, I don't have a digital camera) and is a 35 pound draw weight, I am currently shooting it using the 3 finger method - and will see how it works out.

There is an archery club near me that runs a beginner course of 6 lessons for £20 but I don't know if they will teach using modern bows rather than traditional ones. Do you think it would be worth a set of lessons?

Another problem I seem to have is that if I draw the string back too far the string has a tendancy to come off, is there a reason for this?

Thanks again for your help!

Oh, and the name Frodocious is more of a 'ferocious Frodo' than a 'precocious Frodo', I was given it a while back on a hiking holiday I went on with friends because I am small like a hobbit (4ft 11"), eat like a hobbit (everything!), do scary / extreme sports and have a scary attitude!

16. Christophe of Grey

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Frodocious,
    I would ask the club if they teach English long bow, modern compound bows, or horse bow. Each has it's own shooting technique although compounds and long bows are more similar.

Don't know about the string coming off. My first thought was that you may be over drawing the bow. But at 4'11" I should think your draw would not be greater than 28". You might check to see what the maximum draw of your bow is. That should be in the specificiations for it.

One thing you may try is checking the distance between the string and the bow at the handle. This is called the brace height of the bow. On your bow it should be something like 6 to 8". At a minimum it should be enough such that when an arrow is nocked, the fletches clear the bow string. A quick check is to hold your hand with your thumb pointing up then rest the heel of your hand on the bow handle. The string should be just at the tip of your thumb. If the string is too low, nearer to your hand, twist the bow string to shorten it. If too far, untwist the string. String length also changes the draw weight of your bow. But you should be able to experiment some to get it right.

17. Cheesy Goodness

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Phew...good thing someone posted here...i didnt want to see this thread going down the crapper

The only time my string came off is when I shot 2 arrows at once. The reason this happened is because the arrows had too much force on the string while it was comming forward, as well at the fact that the loops on my string were a bit big.
    You might want to go to your local archery shop/sporting goods store and check the draw length. The shaft on you're arrows might be too heavy for the bow that you have (my friend has a compound bow set at 35 (i think) and his arrows are incredibly small and short compared to mine...when he tried to shoot my arrows, it almost didn't even hit the huge target we set up)

Where did you buy your bow? The reason I ask is because if you bought it second hand, the string may not be the one that is right for your bow.

Just throwing some ideas out there

CoG: what do you mean by keeping the shooting arm horizontal...do you mean like a crossbow?

P.S. Ok i have arrows, now the only thing in my way is using the digital camera (blasted baseball pictures :balrog: ...arching the flaming arrows up probably won't happen now (there's corn growing in the fields, and that will catch on fire), but the hay bale thing might...just might happen next weekend...ill let you all know

o ya...is there any ideas for straightening (sp) out bent arrows? The one that I'm gonna set on fire has some of the upper part of the shaft missing (no big deal), but the rest of it is bent a lot...any suggestions?

18. Christophe of Grey

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    cheesy,
    Keeping the draw arm horizontal - It means when you are in the drawn position the draw arm, from wrist to elbow, should be an extension of the arrow. That is, all should be in the same line. When we start archery and our technique isn't so great we pull with our arms. In so doing we tend to drop the elbow of the draw arm so that the draw arm is angling downward. This puts even more stress on the arms for the draw. If the draw arm is horizontal then you are holding the draw with your back muscles. I had a guy at Pennsic last year tell me he used to put two pieces of tape on the insides of his shoulder blades. When he drew the objective was to have those two pieces of tape touch. He said he shot archery in college, and he was a pretty good shot at that!

And while we are discussing technique, perhaps this will be considered sacrilidge on this forum, but how many folks have really looked at Legolas' technique? I'm sorry, but I think it would be very difficult for him to be the "great elven archer" with his technique. He pulls his head back on each shot. He "pushes" the arrow off the string instead of simply relaxing his draw fingers. And what's with his quiver and where do I get one? It never runs out of arrows!!

OK, burn me at the stake.........

19. Frodocious

Frodocious New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Back again!

Just done an hour's practice and the string hasn't been coming off, so it was probably just something I was doing wrong yesterday. The bow is a new one so I don't think it is a fault due to the age of the string.

Christophe, thanks for the tip about the glove - it made a great deal of difference to my shooting, I have started to get much better groupings (I am shooting about 12m from the target). My accuracy isn't that good yet though!

When you say the arm should be horizontal, should my elbow be locked or not? I have some lovely bruises on the inside of the arm holding the bow - I assume it is from the string hitting yesterday. It didn't seem to do that as much today, I suspect that not using a glove yesterday was putting everything out of alignment as I was worrying about hurting myself rather than on good shooting form.

How accurate is it possible to be when shooting with a traditional bow -I have heard people say that they aren't as accurate as the modern ones with all the bells and whistles.

Oh and on the subject of Legolas (yum!), when he is on screen, the last thing I am paying attention to is his archery technique! (And before you start to ask - yes I am female!)

20. Cheesy Goodness

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    i pull my head sometimes, and I don't see a diffrence between that snd shooting regularly, but i want the kind that never runs out of arrows too :)

When you shoot (open question) is the bow itself prefectly vertical or is it tilted?

Frodocious: i was hoping you were female lol

Search tags for this page
bow arrow toronto easton jazz

design of holmesgaard bow

holmegaard bow
martin savannah string nock causes problems