Archery 101

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by Jessehk, Apr 8, 2004.

1. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Well, maybe not 10 years....but still, 2 years is a long time to wait to attempt your first bow :D

Solid timber floodboards (not laminate or engineered, solid) can be used to make bows very successfully, but the kiln drying can sometimes suck too much moisture out of them, making them a bit prone to splitting.

Not that I can find any bloody solid timber flooring suppliers in my area!!!!! I'm still cutting my teeth on the vertical bamboo flooring.

2. trazzberry1

trazzberry1 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thanks for telling me about drying it, i was just gonna get right into cutting. i have a friend on the big island who has a kiln that i might use, i am not patient enough to have to wait 2 years (although in hawaii, it would probably take a lot longer to get to 4% humidity).

3. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    Keeping the wood in an air-conditioned environment would accellerate the drying as well, since air conditioners remove humidity better than the actually cool. I'm can't say if it would have negative effects on the wood, though.

4. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Heck, if you have spare timber, just make one anyway for the practise. You'll end up with a bow that takes a LOT of string follow, but you'll get to practise marking out, cutting, shaving, rasping etc. There's no substitute for practise, as I'm learning the slow hard way :)
    Even if the bendy stick you make doesn't last for 10 years, and it isn't the most efficient design possible, and only flings an arrow 100m not 150m.....if it can fling an arrow forwards, you've still made a bow :D

As I said, just be careful not to overdry it in the kiln. Perhaps google solid timber flooring to find their normal moisture content, then try and aim for slightly above that?

5. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
  6. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    lol I recognise the Avalon shot on the July newsletter link ~ having shot there!

7. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Chunky mofo!!!

Attached Files:

8. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    I'm heading to Hoddywell Archery Park with my brother in law on Sunday to shoot their advanced field course, weather looks good, should be a great day. 18 targets, all various sizes and distances. Some shots you have to go through the middle of a tree, or kneel down to get the right angle, that sort of thing :)
    I'm gonna give my latest bow a try, the 43lb victorian longbow with the linen backing.

http://www.hoddywell.com.au/

9. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Had a good time today, was just me, my bro in law and my sister having her first ever shoot. She did very well which surprised us all :)

The bamboo bow held up fine, I put about 100 arrows through it and after unstringing and driving home, it only had 1.5 inches of string follow in each limb - not bad at all.

10. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    So, hooray for me, I won our latest archery competition :) We did 3 rounds as usual - standard target, multiple targets of various size and range, and a 40m target only 1m tall and 15cm wide.

Round 1 - At 30m range on an 80cm FITA target, I only scored 68/120 but that was better than the rest :D Can you tell we only do archery about 4 times a year?

Round 2 - 6 targets ranging in size from the 80cm target on its stand, down to a 20cm square box. Distances from 10m to 35m. I took 8 arrows to hit the 6 targets, next best was 10 arrows to hit all 6 targets.

Round 3 - I wrapped a chunky cardboard tube in old carpet so it stands on its own but can be knocked over by blunt arrows. We had a shootoff. 40m range, 3 arrows each, and 8 out of 9 of us hit it. Not bad, probably because this is closest to our combat archery range we're all used to :)
    Next round we only had 2 arrows each. Only me and another guy got through, and I then beat him 3/5 to his 2/5 in the final round.

So yay for me, I won all 3 rounds and won the competition! Last time I won a cool armguard, I hope the prize is something cool again :)

11. trazzberry1

trazzberry1 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    so a while ago I posted about making a koa bow but i didn't want to wait for two years for the wood to dry. anyway, i got it kiln dried like 3 weeks ago and carved the bow and now i've just finished my first round of field testing, which went very well. i figure i owe it all to the great people at the archery 101 thread, so thanks a ton!

12. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Awesome! Any idea what poundage it came out to?

Post some pics at full draw!

13. Daenerys

Daenerys Blood of the Dragon

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Hi all,

I've always been into archery and wanted to learn how to shoot a bow and now that I am in college I have had the opportunity to do so by taking Target Archery as a PE elective course! I am halfway through the course right now and I love it so much (and am not that bad at it if I do say so myself) that I have been trying to find a way to practice outside of class. The only problem is that there are no places around here like a shooting range that would allow it. And since I am living in an apartment I have no backyard to practice in either. The class I am taking is in a gym and they wont let people use it outside of classes. I've recently discovered my local SCA group, so hopefully they will have a place to do archery, but if they don't does anyone have any suggestions??

Also I do not yet have my own bow....any recommendations? I have been shooting a 24# 66" take-down recurve in class (chose a lighter draw weight so I could get the form and stuff down without having to worry about building up muscle). I want one that is less "modern" looking, preferably. But I would be ok with a more modern design if need be because of price/quality.

Thanks!!

14. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Safety safety safety first. Don't launch an arrow anywhere if there is any chance of it deflecting off and possibly shooting someone or something valuable.
    I've seen arrows deflect at 45 degree angles after hitting halfway up the shaft on a target face. So unless you have a giant brick wall right behind your target (with no windows in it) I'd be very hesitant to practise in a suburban area.

I'm planning to make a big net to go behind my stand to catch stray arrows. Maybe 2 meters tall supported on 2 poles stuck into the ground firmly, and holding one or two loose layers of shadecloth

As for a bow - what's your budget? Set that first, then get the best bow you can afford. I believe SCA allow recurves but if you wish to shoot an IKAC they have different divisions for different styles of bow.

You are spoilt for choice in America. Lots of manufacturers and no need to pay for international postage. Hit the internet and do some research, I can't recommend anyone particular as I haven't bought a bow from USA.

But there are laminated longbows with glass backing, more traditional wood-only bows, recurve bows, even asiatic horsebows. It all depends on what style of bow you like (test shoot before buying), and if you wish to portray a character in SCA you will want your bow to match of course.

30-35lb is a nice comfortable weight for most adults, strong enough to shoot a decent distance (SCA IKAC max is 40m and 30lb reaches that no worries), but not so strong that you get tired too quickly. Better to have 100% control over a lighter weight that you cna shoot consistently. Not a good idea to have a bow too strong as your contorl and endurance will suffer.

15. Daenerys

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    So it looks like I can do target archery through the SCA and also combat archery which sounds like loads of fun. I guess I will talk to them to figure out what is a good bow to buy. Thanks for your help though :)

16. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Keep in mind that for combat arcery, SCA now require gigantic heavy arrow shafts with huge rubber heads on them, so a 30lb bow would likely not suffice. They have raised the poundage limit to 50lb as it's required to fling those huge ugly arrows.

But if you can find a group that does it (most heavies HATE archers), then combat archeyr is amazing good fun :) My non-SCA group does it and it is a blast. Paintball with bows and arrows, what more could you want? :D

17. Daenerys

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Well I will be stopping by this weekend when they have a fighter practice going on (I have to work during most of it....maybe I will call in sick!!) and see what all goes on for that stuff. I talked with them for hours last night, but its a lot clearer once you see for yourself!

18. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Very true. And recurves, longbows and horsebows all feel quite different when drawing them back, and different again upon release.

Then you have to think about getting the right arrows to match your specific bow. Much easier if you only have one bow, but if you have 3 like I do....it starts getting expensive having 3 sets of matched arrows :D

That's the problem with bows, you never want to stop at one!

19. trazzberry1

trazzberry1 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Horsebows ftw

20. Daenerys

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Yeah the arrows matching the bow thing are what are worrying me most. I don't want a bow that is too modern looking, because it makes me feel like I am cheating. I like the bows that don't have arrow rests or things on them to help aim, and I want a recurve but I found a nice looking longbow that is less expensive that I can have custom made to my draw weight and draw length, so I don't know what I want to do as far as that but most importantly I don't know what kind of arrows I want and where to get them. I know that the more modern arrows are probably the better way to go since I am still quite new at this and they are less expensive and easier to come by, but will they fit the bow that I want?? Even in archery class I come across arrows that don't nock on to the string quite right and throw me off when I release and bring down my score....I don't want that to be a regular occurrence when I finally get my bow!

Search tags for this page
bow arrow toronto easton jazz

design of holmesgaard bow

holmegaard bow
martin savannah string nock causes problems