Archery 101

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by Jessehk, Apr 8, 2004.

1. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    The family on my dad's side are farmers, and every year I go to the third farm in the family(husband of my auntie 's). Earlier this year I saw a calf being born, but I have never seen or killed a dead animal other than birds, frogs, ... though I don't believe it would bother me; I've seen some very nasty wounds.

2. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Ignition test successful, linseed oil burns very nice, polite and friendly :)

3. AmrasTheArcher

AmrasTheArcher Woodsman and archer

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'm back!!! There's a shot on you tube of Pip Bickerstaff firing a 200lb+ bow, the arrow head used for general warfare was a bodkin and had a diamond cross section narrowing in at the shaft and coming to a point(obviously). An arrow wound could have long term implications as the arrows were stuck into the ground in preperation for firing which means that infection was a massive problem. My first warbow is 44lb and has a natural re-curve, I've seen a programme with a bowyer creating a re-curve by steaming and then gentle bending the limb over a template.

4. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Technically I don't think anything 44lb can be called a "warbow" :)

5. AmrasTheArcher

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yeah but I don't like the term longbow as it wasn't used until the 17th C, bowe might be more correct but is a general term that includes short hunting bows too.

6. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Bloody typical......we're having one of our driest winters ever on record, yet the forecast for next weekend's planned archery weekend is for rain both days.

Wtf.

7. AmrasTheArcher

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Could be worse, you could be stuck with a crossbow and we all know how well they perform when it's been raining!

8. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Unfortunately the weather ruined the chance to test our fire arrows at night as planned, the best we could do was a quick test during a brief sunny period on an otherwise miserable rainy day.

However it does bode well for the next evening we get up at at the farm :)

9. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    That looked like fun.

Unfortunately, judging from the target in the distance, the Genoese crossbowmen are safe. This is never good.

It looks like the fire arrows cut your expected range considerably. By how much? And do you know if it was the different head or air resistance from the cloth? Or some other factor?

10. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    I should point out that we were only drawing to 24 inches using 25-30lb bows, and aiming above 45 degrees so we didn't have to go too far to fetch them otherwise they'd burn through the wooden shaft. But you'll notice that they didn't really go very far. I think the combination of low launch velocity, overall weight, air resistance of the fabric, and air resistance to the flames all combined to give crappy range. That loud WHOOSH! sounds awesome but it's all energy being wasted I suppose.

Next time we do it, I'll be using thicker fabric which will hold more cloth, the oil will be allowed to dry so it will hopefully burn better, and we'll crank them to full draw.

11. trazzberry1

trazzberry1 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    nice test! perhaps if you wrapped the head in a bit of wire to help keep the cloth in you could get a little more aerodynamics without throwing the weight off too much? granted i have more or less no idea what i'm talking about but you might be able to get a little more range off them. at any rate, brilliant test and i can't wait to see the night shooting :D

12. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. I look forward to the next test.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  13. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Yeah the whole thing was just a big soggy mess really :D I'm pleasantly surprised it was as successful as it was. Apart from the 5-10 minutes filming, it was rain rain rain, clear patch with light drizzle, rain, drizzle, clear, drizzle etc etc. We filmed the one lot of sunshine all day and I took my rain jacket of so it didn't melt :D

So next time, differences will be:
    - pre-soak the fabric and allow to dry, not firing wet oil
    - thicker fabric should also hold more oil as well
    - neat wrapping of fabric around and in the cage head, not quickly doing a sloppy job while getting rained on!
    - ensure fabric has a good time to allow full ignition of all material before shooting

I know you can get really thin tie-wire, but I reckon just the dried cloth will be better.

14. trazzberry1

trazzberry1 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i do find it amusing that out of the massive drought you aussies are in the middle of, the one time it rains is when you're testing the fire arrows. i think it's a safe bet that they will work a lot better with those differences in place.
    on a side note- does anyone know of any tropical woods that would make a good longbow? i seem to have misplaced my yew bow and i don't want to purchase a new one. and i know someone who reads this will ask how you lose a 4 foot bow, so i'll just let you know that i think my pig ate it. apparently he'll eat anything with a semblance of a calorie.

15. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Oh. My. God. If I had a yew bow and any animal of mine ate it, they'd be used as a target!

Yeah I know we need all the rain we can get, but can't it rain Monday to Friday while we're all at work?!?!?
    Hopefully we have better luck in September and can book a weekend then.

16. trazzberry1

trazzberry1 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i almost sold him but i reasoned that there is an occupational hazard keeping a large pig as a pet, so i figured it was as much my fault as his. either way i am very upset with him, and if he'd touched my recurve he would have been gone.

you have to wait until september??!! that just makes the timing of the rain that much worse.

17. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    I'd rename him "Pork."

Tropical bow woods:

Goncolo alves
    Ipe
    Juniper (some junipers are tropical, I think)
    Koa
    Padauk
    Snakewook
    Tulipwood

If it's legal to harvest koa, that's likely the easiest for you to find.

18. trazzberry1

trazzberry1 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    his name is Bacon.

i have a 74 foot koa tree growing roughly 20 yards from my house. technically it's not legal to harvest living koa but there was a storm last night as fate would have it and a rather large and very much alive piece of the tree landed on my fence. its nice to know i'll at least have some use for it other than rebuilding the fence

19. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    I believe if you want to make a bow from a just-cut-down living tree, you need to cut the stave to very very rough overly-large dimensions, then seal the ends with something like paint or wax, then leave it somewhere to air dry for about, ooh, 10 years. Well, that's for local Aussie timbers, not sure about tropical timbers with your humidity.

20. Christophe of Grey

Christophe of Grey Cordwainer to Royals

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Mubban is correct. Making a bow out of green wood won't work. Somewhere in my readings, Bowyers Bible?, I recall that wood needs to be at 4% humidity before being made into a bow. 3Rivers sells a device for measuring the humidity of wood. Dyring wood in a kiln speeds up this drying process. Otherwise you're looking at the cut it, then leave it outside in the weather for 10 years program.

Search tags for this page
bow arrow toronto easton jazz

design of holmesgaard bow

holmegaard bow
martin savannah string nock causes problems