Apple switches to Intel

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Anduril, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Anduril

Anduril Flame of the West

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Well, the rumours are true. Apple is switching to Intel. Here's the official press release

Honestly, this will either be Apple's big success or their big killer. I could literally see Apple going under for this. The weird thing is that RISC chips (like the G5 and the G4) are definitely better in speed, energy consumption, and other areas over the x86 (Pentiums). But I guess they feel that Intel has a better idea for the next decade. And not to mention the fact that IBM has shut down their laptop division.

However, if this works, Apple will no longer be compared to PC's like apples and oranges. People will be out of excuses as to which system is better. I guess we'll just see.

2. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Hmm, I thought this was a bogus rumour my friends were trying to blag to me. Thanks for info Anduril

3. Anduril

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    By the way, it would be helpful if we all identified whether or not we are Mac users.

I have a 2.4GHz PC with Windows XP and an 800MHz iBook G3. Personally I don't really have a problem with PC hardward. I admit that there's some good stuff out there. What bugs me is the Windows OS.:( But I'm mainly concerned about battery power and speed with video rendering.

4. kartaron

kartaron Hunter / Gatherer

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    A VERY interesting article here:

Apple's Decision to Use Intel Processors Is Nothing Less Than an Attempt to Dethrone Microsoft. Really.

By Robert X. Cringely

The crowd this week in San Francisco at Apple's World Wide Developers Conference seemed mildly excited by the prospect of its favorite computer company turning to Intel processors. The CEO of Adobe asked why it had taken Apple so long to make the switch? Analysts on Wall Street were generally positive, with a couple exceptions. WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON HERE!? Are these people drunk on Flav-r-Ade? Yes. It is the legendary Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field at work. And this time, what's behind the announcement is so baffling and staggering that it isn't surprising that nobody has yet figured it out until now.

Apple and Intel are merging.

read the article here: http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20050609.html

5. Anduril

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I have a bit of a problem with buying a new Powerbook that may be obsolete in a few years. But by the end of 2007, I'll probably buy a new one.

6. Darth Rave

Darth Rave Sith'ari

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I was very pleased to hear this news my self. I have been wanting to buy a powerbook for some time now(don't have the money) Now I think I will wait untill the new intell ones come out. It will be fun to be able to run windows on them.

7. Anduril

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    If you can get it to work

8. Darth Rave

Darth Rave Sith'ari

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    There was an article on google news the other day that one of the developers did just that with their developers kit. Hadd screen shots and all. I am looking for the exact link if I find it I will post it. They said it ran fine.

9. kartaron

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    A programmer who can write machine binary or hack MS code can do that, Mac has had MS emulators for years. That doesnt mean you can just run an install on a Mac and get something close to functional. Windows itself only works on what MS wants it to work on because they own the API sets that identify hardware (like your modem or your monitor). Dont expect a true Windows for MAC enviornment until you actually see Windows for MAC (TM).

10. Darth Rave

Darth Rave Sith'ari

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Here is the link to the site I previously mentioned. AS the artticle states this is not an emulator or a haked box, it is a clean install of windows on the developers Apple/Intel box with only slight difficulties. Apple even statted at the developers confrence that windows should install fine the only problem was that they would not be making Windows drivers for their periphrials but sayed that microsoft could.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2005
  11. kartaron

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I read the article... I think the unresolved issues are larger than they portray them to be. If MS says they will support the hardware then it should be fine. What is interesting about the article however, is that the Apple BIOS (or whatever they are calling the MAC controller) is a separate chip that is ignored by a foreign OS. That makes the computer look more like a PC with a Mac compatable chip rather than a Windows compatible MAc.

If this is the case why bother with putting Windows on this machine at all? You will probably have access to the same machine without the Mac chip at a cheaper price.