Anything you don't like about SoT?

Discussion in 'The Sword of Truth' started by Yehir, Aug 7, 2006.

1. clouded_perception

clouded_perception clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    I hate several things about the books, including:

- the ridiculous amount of chliches.
    - the inherent contradiction in Richard's 'life is what you make it' ideals, and the fact that almost everyone inhereted their talents from their families and had no say in it.
    - the poor attitude to women. The female leads are strong characters, but all peasant women and suchlike are wimpy traditionalists; all male bad guys see women as sexual objects and all male good guys are subtly glorified for their respect for women. The only half-decent everyday women are those in Anderith.
    - the unnecessarily large amount of sexual torture.
    - the unconvincing villains who are undisguised straw-men of various philosophical ideals. The only convincing bad guy was Darken Rahl, the others suck. Generally philosophies are twisted until they don't make sense and can be contrasted nicely with Richard's, which I notice is a lot more successful than such things in real life are. The Imperial Order is horribly fake, the only halfway realistic Order people being portrayed in Faith if the Fallen (awesome book). Oh, and Richard is perfect and pure.

2. Confessor

Confessor New Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 0 / -0
    Chainfire had too much regurgitation from the previous novels. I found myself skimming the pages until the characters talk with each other. In regards to the raping....it is getting a bit old but it is still done these days. Maybe not to the extent that Mr. Goodkind writes it in his novels. Anyway, I Don't Trust Nicci at all. She's hiding something from Richard......Personally I think he should have killed her.

3. Cara

Cara New Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Agreed, Mr Goodkind should keep his sexual fantasies private!

What bothers me most about the series is the amount of preaching, it's just too much of it :/

4. clouded_perception

clouded_perception clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    I agree, they're far too preachy. He pushes his philosophical veiwpoint too obviously and the enemies are all pale strawmen of opposing philosophies; human nature is twisted to the point of incredibility so that even if he cut out the big speeches it would still look like a philosophical rant (what's with all the speeches, anyway? about 90% of them are redundant).

And the sexual torture... okay, Denna was important to set up the Mord-Sith for later books (although did he really need so much of it?), but to have it in EVERY SINGLE BOOK, with almost every antagonist being a sadistic rapist... he goes a little far.

5. Confessor

Confessor New Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 0 / -0
    True enough concerning all of the sexual scenarios in the novels. I pretty much got the point but yes it does get rather old after a while. I usually end up skipping over it. I lovveee what happened to Tamarang! That was soo fitting!

6. General Myferd

General Myferd New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i hate that there is nothing east of Da'Hara and north of the rang shada. the map just ends. i keep expecting super wizards to come over the mountains, a bit to much stargate ;) but i still want more.....
    General

7. Confessor

Confessor New Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 0 / -0
    Maybe in the future Mr. Goodkind will expand that realm with another novel. :)

8. Wolf star *

Wolf star * I walk alone.

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    any thing i don't like--- hell yes... (it's over)