Anything you don't like about SoT?

Discussion in 'The Sword of Truth' started by Yehir, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Yehir

Yehir Wise Fool

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Well, SoT is one of my favorite series but there is one thing I don't like very much. It's the "Me and Richard think that everyone should be able to live his own life..." and a whole paragraph about their noble ideals. Nothing wrong about it but sometimes it's too much for me. It's repeated too many times in one book (Naked Empire, I think). What do you think?

2. Richard Rahl

Richard Rahl New Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    This is the aspect of the books that some people find too "preachy" I believe. Personally, I don't mind it. Richard's ideals are indeed noble, and are really what all people should live by. They are perhaps reiterated more often than is necessary at times, but I think it's only for Richard to stress his point to people who are alien to his way of thinking. This probably is in Naked Empire, since Richard has to deal with the frustratingly ignorant Bandakar people.

The only thing that bothers me about the series is some of the last few books, namely Pillars of Creation and Naked Empire. There's over a 1000 pages where plenty has happened, and yet the story moved nowhere. Pillars is by far my least favourite of the 10 books so far, simply because it's about 80% character development of 2 characters, one who dies at the end, and one who has little significance in later books. You could easily skip this book out and not miss out on any crucial information.
    Naked Empire is better, but still, Richard and Kahlan are taken far away from what is really important in the story, ie stopping Jagang.
    If anything is repeated too often in these books, it's Richard and Kahlan either getting separated, or getting distracted from what they ought to be doing. Jagang is the only character who has steadily moved towards his goals.

That said, the last 2 books have been good, and this mini-trilogy is going to end spectacularly. This is pretty obvious from the developments in Phantom. There's been blips along the way, but there isn't a series of books out there that doesn't have cons as well as pros. And the pros of this series far out weigh the cons.

3. Yehir

Yehir Wise Fool

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I absolutely agree. I was quite surprised to find that there was almost nothing about Richard and Kahlan. But the book wasn't that bad, although spending so much time with Oba (especially) and Jensen was rather useless.

4. Richard Rahl

Richard Rahl New Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, it's not a bad book...but it just doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the books. Jennsen is mentioned maybe once or twice in Chainfire, and not at all in Phantom. It just makes you feel as if Pillars of Creation was pointless.

If it was absolutely essential for her to be part of the story, I reckon it would have been better to introduce Jennsen in some other way, and use the basis of Pillars to write a side book, like Debt of Bones. A short story detailing the life of a character in the series, but at a time that doesn't conflict with the SoT plot line. That way you get the info which TG obviously felt was so necessary about Jennsen and her past etc, but without the feeling that you're reading the wrong book.

5. Confessor

Confessor New Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 0 / -0
    After finally struggling through Pillars of Creation I'd have to say I didn't care for that book at all. It is nice to finally find out that Richard has a sister yet in her case she isn't happy to see him for fear of the fact that Richard will kill her. Considering she was hunted since she was a child. I will say that is was a different pace than what i'm used to which is why I had to struggle so hard as I read it. When Richard Finally came into the plot I cheered. I'm so used to seeing him, Kahlan, Cara, and Zedd I was overwhelmed. Do any of you guys feel this way.....??

• Like Like x 1
  6. Richard Rahl

Richard Rahl New Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Well, I was certain they'd show up eventually, so I was more concerned about where all this secondary character development was heading. To be fair, once Sebastian took Jennsen to Jagang, the book was better. Too bad that was right near the end :(

It was of course good to see Richard finally, but his part was really not all that great in this particular book.

7. Kahlan Amnell

Kahlan Amnell Mother Confessor

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    That's right. Richard really did not have a so called 'role' in this new chapter of the sword of truth. It was good to meet Jagang though.

8. Yehir

Yehir Wise Fool

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, especially in Aydindril. I liked his meeting with late Brother Narev (hope it's right) :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Richard Rahl

Richard Rahl New Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Ha yeah, that really pissed him off :D

10. Confessor

Confessor New Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 0 / -0
    LOL! Yes indeed he was rather mad. :)

11. flanne

flanne Ranger Girl

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    the romance between kahlan and richard is cheesy and makes my stomch churn.

12. Yehir

Yehir Wise Fool

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I like it. It's actually what the series is all about ;)

13. Confessor

Confessor New Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 0 / -0
    And may I ask why it makes your stomach churn.....? (I'm curious.)

14. flanne

flanne Ranger Girl

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    it was corny, cheesy..then again I don't like any sort of romance in my books so I'm biased :D

15. Confessor

Confessor New Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 0 / -0
    lol. well it is good to have some romance in a fantasy novel - as long as it doesn't turn into a love epic. I rather enjoy the romance between them. It's refreshing from time to time. :)

16. Richard Rahl

Richard Rahl New Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    I agree. The story is always so full of peril, despair, or misfortune, that the romance that Richard and Kahlan share is a reminder that there is still some good in the world, and that love is worth fighting for. It's a key component of the story. It's not maudlin or gushy to the point that you feel uncomfortable reading it; far from it in fact. I don't find it cheesy at all. It's got a genuine quality to it that helps lift the spirit, and shows one of the freedoms the characters are fighting to keep hold of. If love wasn't an element of the story, it would be so easy to just give up...

17. Kahlan Amnell

Kahlan Amnell Mother Confessor

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Mushy? Romance isn't musy. Only reading a romance novel is mushy. I despise Romance Novels. anywho - onto the subject. The SOT novels don't revolve around just love and happiness. Terry gives us other elements as well which include drama, suspense, betrayal, comedy, and even death. In order for each of the characters to survive in the world he has given them these elements must be present in order for the story to continue on. If not he could have just summarized the entire series into one single book. And sorry to disappoint you but that didn't happen. With each new book brings new adventures, new characters, new failures, and new wizard's rules. So when you say Kahlan and Richard's romance is mushy that really isn't fair to them. You and I both know that they fight for each other if the other was going to die. Richard would give up his life for Kahlan as she would for him. It's their feelings for each other that keep the two of them going in their world. The one thought of hope and love lingers in the back of their minds which pushes them on through there struggles. Love is a part of life and if you never find love then you'll never be truly happy. Well I've said my piece. Bye.

18. Yehir

Yehir Wise Fool

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Is Richard your favorite character? I'm asking because I've just realised that I actually like Kahlan more then him. Does anyone feel it so as well or is it only me? Well, in fact, Richard might not be my second favorite character either... :)

19. Confessor

Confessor New Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 0 / -0
    Kahlan is a definite first on my list followed by Zedd, Cara, and Rachel.

20. Sorillon

Sorillon Thousandth Post Thief

Ratings:
    +140 / 1 / -0
    Well, this IS, I suppose, thread necromancy, but I don't like how Goodkind contradicts his ideas occasionally.

Here is an example, and it's a spoiler for Phantom:

At the end of Phantom, Nicci puts the Boxes in play in Richard's name, saying that if they couldn't trust Richard, then life was not worth living.

Is that not in violation of what Richard himself stands for?

I also don't quite understand how, with the enormity of Richard's love for Kahlan, he can go on about the evils of faith and feelings. The purity of his feelings concerning Kahlan is what allows them to even touch each other without him being enslaved by the Confessor's power.