Anyone read these authors?

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Evils Dark Master, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Wing Rider

Wing Rider Psychotic Cybernetica

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I haven't read the Belgariad, but I have read the next series, which is the Tamuli. Also I've read most of Terry Pratchett's stuff, which are some of the funniest books in the world.

2. Brys

Brys New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Raymond E Feist
    He's an author of variable quality - some of what he writes is pretty good - Magician particularly, and the Empire series which he co-wrote with Janny Wurts was very good. He's not hugely original and he does make some questionable plotting decisions but overall they're entertaining. But I'd avoid his later stuff, especially the Krondor series which is awful (what would you expect of a series based on a game).

David Eddings

Generally a poor author who you should avoid, unless you seriously have nothing else to read. On another forums, someone said: "Eddings is great. Alas it's great in the same way the assorted adventures of Noddy is" - which I think is pretty accurate. A bit harsh, but Eddings is ridiculously simplistic and personifies everything that is wrong with fantasy (well perhaps not everything). His books are very repetitive, and if by chance you do happen to read a series by him, by no means go and read another - because it will be almost identical to what you just read. He's just about suitable for children, but even for children there are much better fantasy authors than Eddings. The Elder Gods, in his latest series, is one of the worst works of fantasy in existence.

Terry Goodkind

Eddings is bad because he's overly simplistic, but you can derive mild entertainment from his books. I haven't read much of Goodkind - just the beginning of Wizard's First Rule and a few other quotes from his books. But what I have read is hilariously awful - I don't have a clue how it got published. The content is also pretty sickening - filled with rape, murder, torture, genocide - and that's just what the good guys do (and it's based on moral absolutes - so all of this is portrayed in a positive light). It might be worth reading a couple of pages for the comedy value, or even getting it cheap second hand or from the library to see a bit more. But it definitely approaches the worse side of the fantasy spectrum, rather than the better side. And Goodkind's interviews show him to be one of the most thoroughly unlikable authors in existence - he believes his books are perfect, that they are not fantasy, and he generally insults his fans for the slightest criticism.

Terry Pratchett

A good comedy fantasy author, sometimes genuinely hilarious, but other times less convincing. I didn't enjoy the Colour of Magic much, but Guards!Guards! was brilliant. I don't quite get the huge level of hype, but he's an author well worth reading. Not quite the pinnacle of comedic fantasy (that would go to Jack Vance or Fritz Leiber IMO), but one of the best.

Yes! Both China Mieville and Neil Gaiman are great authors. I prefer Mieville by a long way, but Gaiman is still easily one of the superior fantasy authors on the market.

3. Heidi

Heidi New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I've read Fiest and Pratchett.

Fiest has a terrific series out. I'm not a big fan of Pratchett.

I do think that RA Salvatore is good-er his novels outside of his contract with Wizards of the Coast. 'The Highwayman' was wonderful.

Robert Jordan, bless him, was awesome too...and I am so glad someone else is going to finish his series off for him. :)

4. Resign

Resign New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Robin Hobb - Farseer Novels
    Salvatore - Drizzt Novels
    Paul Roberts - Prophecy of the Dragon Series
    Trudi Canavan - Black Magician Trilogy
    Weis and Hickman - DragonLance Saga

Loads to choos from out there.

5. JIM

JIM zombie Turncoat

Ratings:
    +329 / 1 / -0
    i have read all these authors. also should mention the vampire world trilogy by Lumley. expands on the necroscope

6. culein

culein New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Try 'The Man who war Thursday' by GK Chesterton, one of the best fantasy novels written this century.:devilbat:

7. Lord Perle

Lord Perle New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i love that trilogy

8. Brightstar

Brightstar Fantasy Maker

In the world of stories, as often as possible.
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Personally, I like Gaiman ok, and I read some by Eddings. ...Eddings is longwinded. His writing is good enough that I'd recommend that you read at least one book... just so you can enjoy his style a bit... after that, *shrug*.

If I had to recommend an author... hmmm... I'd go with Jordan, though I've read a few others who were really good. David Weber wrote one fantasy series: Windrider's Oath I think. Excellent. Excellent.

9. Martinfangirl556

Martinfangirl556 STARWARSIAN

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Brian Jacques is THE BEST AUTHOR IN THE UNIVERSE

10. Platemail

Platemail New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    R.A Salvatore; my favorite fantasy author of all time
    :)

11. dragoon

dragoon Let the Apocalypse begin

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Love David and Leigh Eddings as well as Matthew Reilly and Robin Hobb (Fareseer trilogy, Tawny man trilogy and Liveship traders

12. I_Saw_Eden_Burn

I_Saw_Eden_Burn Moonchild

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I prefer Robert Rankin to Terry Pratchett, but I like Brian Lumley - House of Doors is a great read, as is the Necroscope series.:)

13. crowby

crowby New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i love feist, but although ive read i am yet to own any of his. also eddings 'the redemption of althalus' as well as the belgarion and polgara etc. i would suggest darkglass mountain series by sara douglass. actually read all those authors except Brian Lumley and Terry Pratchett. i would also suggest any of fiona mcintosh, i love them all.

14. Jingojolene

Jingojolene Wayfarer, heartlander

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Robin Hobb, definitely. Eddings and Steven Erikson :D

15. Thy Fearful Symmetry

Thy Fearful Symmetry New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I read Feist, Eddings, Kerr, Lumley and Pratchett, but not Douglas. I read some Goodkind and quickly realised he had absolutely no literary talent; unfortunately, he represents all that is worst about the genre.

16. Weave_Saidin

Weave_Saidin New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ive read robert jordan (wot), terry goodkind, george r r martin, tad williams was good, robin hobb is also worthwhile, david farland and jv jones are also worth a read. David eddings the belgariad and the series of his books that follow are great! by far the best out there now are Robert Jordans Wheel of time series!!! read through all those books 3 or 4 times now :)

currently reading Kate Elliott : Crown of stars. anyone have an opinion on this autor?

have also been recomended R A Salvatore but havnt read anything by him. any opionions would be welcome!