Anyone read these authors?

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Evils Dark Master, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Cupper

Cupper New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Iv read all most all of Raymond e Feists books just not the latest and some others which i wil get round too eventually. i think the world hes created is amazing and the characters he has created are so in depth, we learn so much about them and find them so likably that i feel i know them personnely . And iv read alot of terry pratchetts discworld novels and there briliant.

At the moment im reading The Books of the Damned by David Gemmel and am finding them brilliant. I reckommend his books to anyone.

Waylander Rule! So does Druss! So Does Skillgannon the Damned! So does Tenaka Khan! So does Pagen! So does Ananais the golden one!

2. Smurf

Smurf Finrod Felagund

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    AHA!!!! yeah! finally

I've read as you have all of the older books and not the new ones yet, but I agree they definately took you into the world... many late nights when I couldn't put it down... Awesome stuff! A book one can relate to no?

Also Terry Pratchett is awesome, the books are funny and indepth

3. Spiritdragon

Spiritdragon New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey

Stephen Lawhead is superb The Paradise War
    Also A.A.Attanasio - The Dominions of Irith and the King Arthur Series
    Gemmel is Excellent
    Piers Anthony Battle Circle and LOTS of others

4. Spiritdragon

Spiritdragon New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have also written a pretty brilliant Fantasy novel...
    Changelings Book1 Dragons & Demons...
    selling on Ebay...

Pass me some Brasso for me neck

James

5. Solcious

Solcious Veil-Lord

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I have read Feist's books and Goodkinds' wizard rule books............which are very good.

I have also read the David Gemmell books such as waylander, Druss, Skilgannon, etc, etc.
    And i have also read the Rigantes books from him which i highly recommend to any fantasy reader.
    I have read the David Eddings books such as Belgarath and the Sparhaww books that had me hooked for sometime.
    I have read James Barclay books from which i am always talking about because he is one of the best writers out there and he has the ability to surprise you which has been lost to some authors.

Last edited: May 9, 2006
  6. Fuukofan

Fuukofan New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I haven't heard of any of them. Though i saw Terry Pratchett's name somewhere in Angus and Robertson...

7. celtic_wisdom

celtic_wisdom New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What? There are all those books from Gemmel? How many are they? In my country there are only two books of him translated...I guess I should start reading them in english...I waited almost two years for the second book and I can't believe there are more that aren't being translated

8. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    umm, Gemmell has around 30 books. They are all very good, so yea, you're a bit behind . . . ;)

9. imrhien

imrhien The Lady of the Sorrows

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    Has anyone read the Mazalan series by Steven Erikson, and what did you think of it? What is the first book of the series called?

10. celtic_wisdom

celtic_wisdom New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I can't believe this...He can't be the same Gemmel...i mean...30 books? I'm really going to buy them in english, I see :rolleyes:

11. Falagar

Falagar Death

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    The first book is called Gardens of the Moon; not the best in the series. Some parts of it are brilliant, epic and moving, while others drag a bit. The characters aren't as meaty as one would like and his writing is somewhat lacking, though it picks up.

Raymond E Feist - Read most of his Riftwar-books and the Empire-triology he wrote with Wurst,

David Eddings - Only touched his Elder Gods and didn't get past the first 100 pages. Dull and cliched, IMO.

Terry Goodkind - Only read Wizard's First Rule, wasn't as terrible as I've heard people claim it to be, but not particulary good either. A few nice ideas, but ultimately long-winded and predictable with boring characters. Takes itself a bit too seriously.

Terry Pratchett - Brilliant guy. Read nearly all of his Discworld-stuff, very entertaining. "Light", though occationally thought-provoking, and seldom takes more than a few hours to finish.

Authors I'd like to recommend (most mentioned earlier): Tolkien of course, George R.R. Martin, China Miéville, Neil Gaiman, Robin Hobb, R. Scott Bakker, the abovementioned Steven Erikson and Dan Simmons & Robert Herbert (the two last ones sci-fi authors)

12. imrhien

imrhien The Lady of the Sorrows

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Falagar

I have read all of Raymond E feist's serpent war and rift war series, I liked it but it was the first fantasy series I read so I was easily impressed/

I've read The Belgariad, The Malloreon, The Elenium and The Tamuli – Eddings, not bad.

I have read all of Terry Goodkind's stuff. It started ok but it has become a lecture on morals and is repetitive.

I’ve read all of Robin Hobbs stuff and absolutely loved it she is so far my favourite author.

aSoIaF - GRRM is great and I really have enjoyed it so far, but I am now looking for something to read while I wait for A Dance with Dragons. I’ve heard a few people say that the Mazalan series was fantastic = to aSoIaF. So I will give it a go.

13. Falagar

Falagar Death

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I thought Feist was pretty fun, even after having been through ASoS. ;) Especially loved the Empire-triology, and both Magician-books were nice. The rest...too generic, except from a great siege-scene (the fourth book, I think? A stony city attacked by some Dark Lord's host)

14. Ashling

Ashling New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The one author that got me into fantasy was Robin Hobb. She is a genius whom I regard as being one of the most talented out there.

15. Naeblis

Naeblis Wolfshead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i agree, one of the best. have you checked out byzantium? stand alone historical fiction by lawhead. as good as it gets if you like the genre...

16. herzog

herzog Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    falagar has mentioned some good ones, especially China Mieville and Neil Gaiman. I have also read David Eddings, Steven Erikson, Terry Goodkind, Terry Pratchett, George Martin and Brian Lumley. Read Lovecraft if you want Lumleys inspiration and McNaughton ( but his first name eludes me at the moment) for Ghouls in a fantasy setting.

17. Carline of Crydee

Carline of Crydee Beyond eternity

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I've only read the first one, Feist. (as you can probably see in my name)

18. Spiritdragon

Spiritdragon New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Read most of Brian Lumley...What a fantastic horror/Fantasy writer!!
    Feist and Kerr too...The full version of Magician is superb.
    Read Eddings & Pratchett too...both good!
    Terry Brooks was the first fantasy that really got me!! The Sword of Shannara

Here are a couple of additions to the BRILLIANT LIST!!!

Stephen Lawhead writes BRILLIANT celtic fantasy - The Paradise War, Talesin...Pendragon Cycle!!

Stephen Donaldson - The Chronicles of Tomas Covenant- a MUST READ

John Connolly - Every Dead thing, Killing Kind, White Road, Black Angel - Not really fantasy, but detective horror with a spiritual twist...

Jeffery Deaver writes FANTBLOODYTASTIC serial killer forensic stuff...bone collector, empty chair, vanished man, stone monkey, devil's teardrop, maiden's grave ALL GOOD

Not read Sarah Douglas...yet, is she the one that writes historical fantasy with angels and the like???

James

19. herzog

herzog Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    spirit dragon thanks for the reminder! Chronicles of Thomas Covenant was a fab series!

20. Matthias_Thulmann

Matthias_Thulmann Archmage of the Elves

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Raymond E Feist - Riftwar-Good
    David Eddings - Belgarion and others-amazing
    Catheryn Kerr - never read
    Sarah Douglas - Battle axe- never read
    Terry Goodkind - Wizards first rule and others- I don't like
    Brian Lumley - Necroscope, Blood Brothers, Necrscope the lost years.-never read
    Terry Pratchett - amazing