Anyone know how to do metal fittings on scabbards.

Discussion in 'Historical Re-enactment' started by wolf2hawks, Dec 17, 2003.

1. wolf2hawks

wolf2hawks New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wolf2Hawks here, new to the forum with a couple of questions.
    I'm working on a design for a cutlass and belt knife(loosely based on Aragorn's Elven knife except the hilt is made out of Tru-Ivory and a knuckle guard added). I need to see if anyone know's of any sites or books on how to do the metal throats and tips on scabbards(have the knife designs worked out on paper, starting on the scabbard). Also need to see if there are any sites that show how to do Elvish runes(plan on scrimshawing the hilt and leather carving the scabbard as soon as I learn how). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Christophe of Grey

Christophe of Grey Cordwainer to Royals

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
  3. celebdraug

celebdraug Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    there is a great site i know, but i dont know it on top of my head!
    i will look it up for you!
    :)

4. wolf2hawks

wolf2hawks New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the assist Christope the Grey and Celdedraug.
    This little project of mine started out as for a pirate costume, but decided to fix it up for a fantasy set to. Should look nice after I get done.

BTW, if I don't respond in a quick fashion, having to use a library computer and don't get to town everyday, but I will respond.

Thanks again for the assist on the elvish.--Wolf2Hawks

5. Christophe of Grey

Christophe of Grey Cordwainer to Royals

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Wolf2hawks,
    When you get your project finished share with us how you did the metal parts. Metal casting is something I've been interested in for some of my leather projects and any help, assistance, lessons learned would be of great help.

6. wolf2hawks

wolf2hawks New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Will do as soon as I get everything figured out myself. I'm kind of making this up as I get the information. The blades themselves I'm going to have done(unless I figure that out on my own), but the sheath work and the scrimshaw of the handle I plan on doing myself.
    Luckily, I have a brother that's working on his own muzzleloader for a Revolutionary War persona, has a lot of stuff on scrimshawing powder horns, leather working, etc(showed him some of the stuff on elvish runes, he's thinking about using them for a powder horn). I'm actually mechanically disinclined, but deicided I wanted to try my own projects.

Well, getting ready to go see Return of the King tomorrow as a Christmas present, so if I don't get a chance to ceheck back, everyone have a Happy Holiday--Wolf2Hawks

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------An elf can use a bow, but for Close Quarters, you need an ax.