Anyone here use Corel Painter 12?

Discussion in 'User Created Art' started by S.J. Faerlind, Jul 28, 2012.

1. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    Hi everybody,
    I regularly fight with my Corel Painter 12 program and wonder if anyone has any great tips for using it.

2. PainterSteve

PainterSteve New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi S.J!

I'm the user-experience designer for Corel Painter, and can recommend a few good places to get started:

First, there's a nice selection of tutorial videos on this page:
    http://www.corel.com/corel/pages/index.jsp?pgid=800388&storeKey=us&languageCode=en

And detailed discussion about the program on Painter Factory:

http://painterfactory.com/forums/

I'd be interested in what type of art or fantasy art you'd like to create...hope the above helps. Quick question, have you upgraded to the free 12.2 update? There are some cool improvements in there... http://corelblogs.wordpress.com/2012/07/13/the-free-painter-12-2-update-has-arrived/

Cheers,

Steve

3. PainterSteve

PainterSteve New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  4. PainterSteve

PainterSteve New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi S.J.,

Indeed, Painter can be a bit overwhelming at first. What area is specifically challenging? Brushes? Layers?

Here's a great link to a variety of online tutorials:

http://www.corel.com/corel/pages/index.jsp?pgid=800388&storeKey=us&languageCode=en

You can also try searches on Youtube depending on the type of projects you are doing. For example here's an awesome clip from pro Don Seegmiller:
    Cheers,

Steve

5. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    Hi Steve,
    When I saw your post in the greeting forum, I wondered when you'd get down to posting here! I've tried both Photoshop and Painter and honestly, the reason I bought Painter was because it was 1/3 the price of Photoshop. I'm new to digital art in general and I'm certainly no pro at it (the term "rank amateur" would apply!). After using both programs I found that Photoshop was more user friendly. It runs like I would expect a digital art program to behave....for example... the opacity slider refers to the colour, NOT the brush like it does in Painter. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Painter seems to have been designed so that it behaves more like putting a brush to paper, supposedly giving the artist a more "realistic" drawing experience. For me that actually made it harder to wrap my head around it initially.

Part of my problems with Painter have nothing to do with the program itself...they have to do with using it on a computer that isn't really tweaked for it and that doesn't always have enough RAM to deal with the load I put on it. My drawing tablet and how it interacts with Painter is a whole other issue......

I think I have puzzled out most of Painter's behaviour and now that I have some idea of what all of the brushes do and what to expect from the program I can master it more often than not. I do still have trouble with the following things however:

-Selecting stuff! I can't select the content on the canvas layer by choosing "select layer content" from the menu. The auto-select features never seem to select what I want them to either. I usually have to draw coarsely around the content I want with the free-form selector tool, copy and paste it into where I want it, magnify the painting and then select the white space to "cut" it from the drawing...very time consuming. The magic wand and auto-selection features give me unpredictable results when I use them, highlighting areas of colour and shading that I wasn't expecting them to.

-I can't paint on any layer but the canvas unless I copy and paste into the current painting from another one (Painter then creates a new layer automatically). Honestly, that bugs me. I'd rather draw stuff in the foreground and background in the same document rather than have to create multiple ones. Text is no problem, but then Painter automatically creates a new layer for it when I add that too. Any time I create a new layer and try to paint on it, Painter ignores me.

Tutorials I find only of so much use because often I'm trying to look up something specific and I don't need a lesson for everything, I just need to know one thing in particular. Thank God for online help!
    I have to say I love the multiple "Undos" and the digital airbrushes are awesome. I also think the convert a photo to a painting function is amazing (though I haven't yet used it). All in all I'm happy with the program...I just need to figure it out a little more I think.