Anyone have experience with Price Fountain adware?

Discussion in 'General Computers' started by S.J. Faerlind, Jan 8, 2016.

1. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    Soooo I did the classic no no...which is to say that I installed some kind of program too quickly on my system and didn't realize that I had accidentally installed adware along with it. I've been dealing with the tech services dept of my antivirus program but this adware is stubbornly clinging to my system and laughing in the face of everything they've told me to do. It actually pops up whenever I visit their website (almost as if it's mocking them...lol), even though it only pops up otherwise when I visit any sort of retail site (like Amazon for example).
    Does anybody know anything about how to remove this crap?

2. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Heh, you found yourself quite the bit of ones and zeroes there, SJ.

It's been quite some time since someone asked me about one of these, and boy did things get worse over time. In the past, simply searching for the culprit's name in Google would quickly give tutorials for removal. Nowadays, dodgy and, often, downright fraudulent antimalware software pushers fight for Google rankings. Disgusting. Just to be sure we're on the same page - DON'T DOWNLOAD ANTIVIRUS PROGRAMS WILLY-NILLY.

From what I have been able to gather, PriceFountain is quite stubborn, as you may have found out. Unless you're an IT pro, you're not going to get rid of it yourself. So, basically, there are two ways out:

- Offer your computer to an IT professional.
    - Download a specialized and trusted malware removal tool.

Case in point for PriceFountain would be Malwarebytes, which appears to come recommended for this particular piece of work. Their website is: Free Anti-Malware & Internet Security Software Don't get it anywhere else. The free version will do for this one.

In other news: Welcome back, SJ! Good to see you :) :)

3. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    can you provide some screen shots?
    I suggest trying malwarebytes or checking your extensions. With additional information I might help some more

(TUR already answered :D )

4. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Hahaha, well, at least we agree on the solution, Anon :D

5. Richard Falken

Richard Falken The Best Epic Literature Ever Written.

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    The information is out there if you have the patience to research. The great thing of IT knowledge is that IT people makes it available on the Internet. Sometimes you might get support from security staf and coders in IRC networks too.

Maybe this applies:

Removal instructions for PriceFountain - Malware Removal Guides and Self Help Guides - Malwarebytes Forum

It contains information about which files and modifications the malware performs in your install.

This said:

ALWAYS HAVE UPDATED BACKUPS OF YOUR COMPUTER.

Why? Because the day you hit a hardware crash, a malware you cannot deal with, or any sort of disaster, you will be able to revert back to a state in which your stuff was not destroyed. I have differential backups of ALL the data of my workstations. If something breaks, I can rebuild any of those systems by dumping a backup on any computer even if the hardware is not the same - the backups are built in such a way that I can reconstruct the state of the computer up to six months back in the past. This allows you to zero an infected system out and bring it back from the dead faster and safer than you can clean a seriously infected system.

6. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    Thank you Tur!!! It's been ages!!! T'is good to see you too. :)

You're right, I have really stuck my foot in it with this adware thing. :p I use Kaspersky antivirus which is reputable as far as I can tell. I had it on my old laptop before it finally died and so I bought it for my new system (but not until after the adware got installed). Their tech support dept had me download ADWcleaner, run it, reset my browser settings and clean up my drive with the disk cleanup utility. That didn't work so they had me turn on the risk detection and control systems changes features on their program, do a full scan and try and clean it that way. That didn't work either. I uninstalled McAfee antivirus (which I hadn't even realized I'd installed somehow and they think the adware came in on that). That hasn't worked either. Their tech support has escalated my ticket (whatever that means) so if all else fails I'll try Malwarebytes and see if that works.
    Thanks for the advice. I never know which cleaners are the safe ones and now I don't trust any of them.

I'll try and post some screen shots tomorrow

I've backed everything up that matters to me and created a restore point, just in case!
    The only problem with IT self help guides is that my knowledge of the inner workings of my computer is rather limited and the self help guides can be rather technical. I read one the other day that told me to look for a "suspicious file" in some backwater directory and delete it. Unless they have a recognizable name of a program I know on them (maybe 50% of the files on my system), their function is a mystery to me. I have no idea which ones should be deleted. If I go deleting files in ignorance, I could really mess up my system...lol.

Thanks for the ideas everybody! :)

7. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    BitDefender > Kaspersky, but the problem with all antiviruses is that they are not foolproof, if you allow a programme to change some setting, antivirus can do nothing.

8. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    ^^ Yup... I see that you are right. I've looked everywhere I can think of to uninstall or delete the adware. It's hidden itself really well. :mad:
    I'd upload a screenshot but apparently we can only link to urls since the forum changed to the new format. :p

9. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    well upload it to imugr and then here. :)

10. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    Note the huge banner ads at the top and bottom of the screen :p
    This screenshot is actually kind of funny. It shows the adware over top of the Kaspersky website. I think Price Fountain is mocking them!
    [​IMG]

The ads are supremely annoying. I can get rid of them by clicking on the x boxes but all three or sometimes four of them pop up whenever the screen refreshes or you go to a new page.

11. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    Next question, does it works on other software?
    If not - change gmail password asap ! , and check if reinstalling chrome helps.
    If yes - then`ll about it later, not at work lolz :D

12. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    My hubby uninstalled all the web browsers and then reinstalled them again. Chrome and Firefox are still infected. Interestingly, he installed a new one called "Opera" and it's fine so far.
    What do you mean by "other software"? I don't see the ads pop up in MS Word or anything.

13. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    Well I mean mozzilla or smth.

Have you checked your chrome extensions?
    Remove all that seem suspicious to you. If it does not affect new software it has to be linked with extensions

14. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
    SJ you will find that crap for Chrome here:

\USERPROFILE(you name)\AppData\Local\Google\

Also just browse whole AppData as well as ProgramFiles for anything connected to that shit fountain...

15. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    I reset all of my browsers to remove all the extensions and apps...didn't work

I can't find any suspicious files in those directories. Of course there are lot of files with names like 5TPC.0267.hytgb789.... which mean absolutely nothing to me. I'm afraid to delete unknown files. lol

I'm probably going to have to take it to someone to get it cleaned off :(

16. AlphaAlex

AlphaAlex Official Forum Nuisance

Ratings:
    +307 / 3 / -0
    kaspersky is a terrible program. My house mate was 'strongly recommended' to get it from an 'ahem.. custom build through a company'. trust me it caused more problems. Turns out, it quickly was removed from recommend anti-virus software in Australia a year later.
    I'm no expert but whenever I have have had serious issues. I run malwarebytes. (Tur and anon already mentioned this)
    Free Anti-Malware & Internet Security Software
    You can download a free version for one use then it costs money/ However one use is often all it needs. IF you can load windows ( I assume you are using windows) in 'safe mode' do that. Usually pressing F8 or F9 will bring up a menu while windows is loading.. you will want to pick 'safe mode with networking'.
    Then run anti malwarebytes.. it will take time depending on your harddrive capacity/speed and your computer processor speed. You will also want to do the extensive complete scan.

The other problem is this.. do you have more than ONE anti-virus running on your computer?
    Malwarebytes is good because if you do, it will, or rather should find the problem and disable one.

Having two running at once can cause conflicts.. mind you, Your symptoms point to you not having two running anyway, just one pretending. Just a thought.

If all fails and you are infact running windows..
    Start your machine up.. then click start bar/button
    then in the search function type 'msconfig' push enter
    then click the 'startup' tab
    and list them all here.I may be able to help.
    A lot of 'basic adware' is displayed through this. Some more evil ones aren't.
    If you can take a screen shot that would be ideal.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  17. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    Yea kaspersky is not even recommended here In Latvia and we live next to the mother Russia. I myself prefer bitdefender

18. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
  19. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    I will try the above suggestions tomorrow. I don't have 2 neurons to rub together atm.
    Thanks again for the help. :)