Anyone ever read SM Stirling's Emberverse series?

Discussion in 'General Books' started by wanderingmagus, May 24, 2010.

1. wanderingmagus

wanderingmagus Constantly Around :D

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    Hi. just wondering if anybody's ever read this series, because i'd like to discuss it with so many people, but no-one seems to have read it.

2. Hellspite

Hellspite Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I have to say that I was hooked starting with the early pages of Dies the Fire. In particular, I like the anthropological aspects of it, the characterizations are also good. I'm waiting on the next one, having read the teaser chapters on Stirling's website.

3. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    Yeah, the cultural and societal aspects were really realistic in lots of places. except, one would think that quite a bit more places would have survived, you know? Examples of places I personally would have expected more of would be lots of the Central Valley in California, and agricultural or semi-agricultural universities like UC Davis.

and i'm sure i'm not the first one to notice, but shouldn't there be at least a FEW neo-medieval asian type governments? all the others being either native american or european. There was the Liu household, but even that's mostly european.

and finally, the whole "wicca is the salvation of the world" thing... doesn't fit with the general character of the book, in my opinion

Thanks for showing interest in this thread, btw.

4. bloodywarrior

bloodywarrior New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i was a big fan of dies the fire and other novels of the change although i have not read all of them in order my library does not havethem all and our second hand bookstore dosent have any thing by sterling

5. Hellspite

Hellspite Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I hadn't been on here in a while, so it's just luck I happened to see the thread.

I sort of agree about the Wiccan angle. I think it's interesting, but it seems to have eclipsed all the other possibilities. It's explained well for the MacKenzies, but all of the Asatruar in Maine aren't really explained well, to my thinking.

As for Asian cultures, well it IS set in North America, and I think most of Asian-American population is in large cities.

6. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    true, but you'd think that previously primarily water-based nations and such would be colonizing the west coast by now; aside from the monks at Cherenzi monastery, which rips off any "warrior goes to temple to become badass" plot ever created, there's no real effort to try integrating Asian culture, which is suprisingly large in California. And I don't buy the entire central valley becoming a death zone thing.

7. Hellspite

Hellspite Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I agree that he has more Death zones than seems reasonable. The Midwest and the South, for example, yes, there's a large population, but also a lot of farmland in use. Granted, the absence of machinery would make things difficult, but still, I think making the whole thing Death Zones was just taking the easy way out.

As for Asian colonization, those are populous nations, and I think they wuld also have the massive die-off that North America would, and then the recovery would likely focus first on nearby areas. I think if anyone colonized the California coast, they would be fugitives of some kind, folk would were unwelcome in their homelands.

8. hurlock1

hurlock1 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have read all six books. I was enthralled with all of the books. Because I can't "read" because of a physical condition I listened to the audio books. I found the premise and the details highly interesting and motivating. Because I do all my "reading" at dialysis, I get interrupted a lot. I don't know if I expected something other than what I got from the 6th book, "The Sword of the Lady. It seemed to me that They took a round about way getting to their destination, and He just ran out of words. Over all I thought it was the best series I've read all year, except for the last book.
    jmz

9. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    well, it's pretty much what you'd expect from a postapocalyptic-no-its-fantasy type series, and you have to admit it's really hard trying to get from point A to point B over a couple thousand miles with nothing except hand-drawn maps, hearsay, a couple landmarks and absolutely no real consistent government. I admit, the magic stuff was a bit much, especially as they got closer and closer to Nantucket, but otherwise I'd say, apart from a few "wasn't there an amish settlement in the way" moments the last book was pretty close to what you'd expect from a few Changelings who've never been more than a couple hundred miles from home.

10. Hellspite

Hellspite Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
  11. Hellspite

Hellspite Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Well, I'm about halfway through High King Of Montival. I'm not liking this one so much. It seems lackluster, compared to the preceding ones.

12. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    didn't read that one yet, what's it like?

13. Hellspite

Hellspite Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Without spoiling the storyline, Rudy and Co. are on the return trip to the Willamette. It's lacking the excitement of the other books, and I was taking the attitude that I don't much care whether they get home or not. There have been a couple of developments since my last post, and the story may improve. Can't say yet.

14. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    well that's a boring plot if i ever heard one....

15. Hellspite

Hellspite Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Once Rudy became this unstoppable force for goodness, it lost it's appeal. Everyone likes a close ball game, and I think now this one is a shut-out. Well, I'm still about half-way, looking at my marker. It might get better. Meaning, please, I hope it gets better.

16. Hellspite

Hellspite Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I just finished High King of Montival. It did improve, and did not end as I was fearing, namely that it would limp along and conclude in a whirlwind on the last two or three pages. Now my interest is restored.

17. rickinnocal

rickinnocal New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    True, but it's a primarily urban culture, and I agree with Stirling that the urban centers, especially at the beginning of summer in California, would very quicly be death zones.

The Central Valley [BOLD]was[/BOLD] a 'death zone' before European settlement. One of the reasons that the culture of California's coastal Indians, such as the Miwok, was so different from most other western tribes was that it was almost impossible for people on foot to even cross the valley, let alone live in it.

Richard

18. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    How about China, Empire of the East, the most feared army and navy of the ancient world? You'd think they would have colonized California by the time of the most recent books. And as noted, the Central Valley was a death zone BEFORE European settlement, and European settlement didn't need electricity or gunpowder much, besides just for gaining or defending the land. The Missions were quite successful in the past at any rate.

19. firehorse

firehorse New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have just completed thru Lord of the Mountain... Really loved the story. What's next. .
    firehorse

Search tags for this page
emberverse death zone
emberverse death zone what is

emberverse discussion

emberverse fan fiction
emberverse fanfiction
emberverse fans
emberverse series

emberverse series review

fanfiction emberverse
s m stirling emberverse fan fiction