anyone else here hate eragon?

Discussion in 'Rants & Scams' started by ireadtoomuch, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Elkean

Elkean New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I didn't like Eragon that much. It was way too much like LOTR (elves, dwarves, men). He needed to be more creative. I got real bored with it, so it took me awhile to finish it.

2. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    eragon is sweet! Eldest is my 2nd favorite book of all time

3. Elkean

Elkean New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I don't think I'm even goanna bother with reading Eldest. The cover looks cool but "you can't just a book by its cover" so I won't bother even flipping through it. Eragon took me too long and too much pain to read it already. I mean enough is enough.

4. Alchemist

Alchemist The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    I loved the book and the second as well. Yeah, they have the typical fantasy feel, and they are a simple read, but that is what I sometimes look for. When I buy a new book I dont pick one expecting it to be the next biggest thing, heck I dont even expect it to do more than entertain me.

5. Azrael7

Azrael7 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree that it was terribly overrated. It didn't do anything inheritantly wrong, but it did nothing new either. A good first effort, but not a spectacular one. The names bugged me a lot though.

6. Elkean

Elkean New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    You could so easily tell it was written by a fifteen year-old. I mean, I've read better writing on this forum and others that was better than that in Eragon.

7. Elkean

Elkean New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    To all us Eragon haters we have a big problem. I just saw that the Eragon movie (which I thought was just going to be a TV movie) is going to be a full feature length film that is coming out next fall in theaters (september I think). Oh why god!?! Why must this book be made into a film!?! Aww..I'll probably spend the 10 bucks to go see it anyway. I hate the book but I just love movies too much to just sit by and not go see this film when it comes out.

8. Lord_Croanan

Lord_Croanan King and Conquerer

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    ug, i dunno, see a fantasy movie based on a book that i didn't really like...........? well, gotta be well read and well watched

9. Elkean

Elkean New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I'm just curious to go and see how the film will turn out. They have a pretty good cast (some big names).

Eragon Info

Who knows, the movie might be better than the book (god willing).

10. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Huh... I'll prolly see it, and I'll probably even read the 3rd book. But I'm not expecting it to be much better.

I mean no offense to Eragon fans, but frankly, the major reason why that book got so much fame is because it was written by a teen (and it reads like it, too). Let's hope that if I ever manage to get published before I go to college, I won't be that bad...

11. Elkean

Elkean New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I agree with you completely.

12. Azrael7

Azrael7 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That and it was very easy to read. I mean, like Harry Potter easy. What is with people lately and easy to read books?

13. Elkean

Elkean New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Well, the Harry Potter books can be considered easy to read but they are so long (so people might debate that easy claim). The Harry Potter books are meant to be easy to read because the main audience for the books are children. On Eragon though I'm sure that the intended audience was for young adults or adults in general but since it was written by a teen the writing isn't that of an expert. The writing isn't all that great and made it pretty boring for me to read it.

14. Alchemist

Alchemist The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    Sometimes an easy book is all some have time for. A light but enjoyable read. Thats asking "why read the chronicles of narina?" because they are fun.

Sometimes a simple book can be a great read.

15. Elkean

Elkean New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I agree with that. I reread the CON and found them a bit hard to finish because they were so easy to read (I kept losing focus). Though, I love the story, so that's why I read them.

16. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    I love CoN, but "easy read" doesn't necessarily mean anything bad. Terry Pratchett's Discworld series could be considered an "easy read," but they're awesome. And he has plenty of adult fans.

17. TheDark12

TheDark12 Lord of Chaos

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I think that you are all far too critical of Eragon. I read it and was thoroughly impressed for a writer's first effort. Hell, I am sure that great names like Robin Hobb and Robert Jordan even have old books that they want witheld nowdays. Everyone starts off rocky. I thought that Eragon was a new and original storyline, of course the kid is not going to be as good as Tolkien or Jordan. Hell, he has only written one book, how many has Jordan written? The Wheel of Time novels are 11 books long, plus New Spring. Not to mention his previous titles. Give the kid a break!

As far as Eldest goes I definitly think that you shouldn't judge that book by its predecessor. The characters become more full, one of my favorite chapters in the book is when Eragon is asked "Why do you fight?" Eragon is thoroughly disgusted by the question, but soon realises that he needs to think more deeply than "...because it is the right thing to do."

Eldest was edited far better, it feels like a more fluid book and is a lot less choppy than Eragon appeared. Frankly, if I get published I would be proud to write a book as good as Paolini. He has more than 2 million books in print, which is more than I can say for anyone else in this room. Obviously he is doing something right.

18. TheGreenDragon

TheGreenDragon Quizara Tafwid

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I don't really hate eragon but it wasn't great (especially because of the similarities to star wars and LOTR)-also, if the Elves are so perfect why don't they kill Galbatorix!

19. TheGreenDragon

TheGreenDragon Quizara Tafwid

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    There is a town in England somewhere powered by Tolkien spinning in his grave.:devilbat:

20. Blackness

Blackness Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0

Ahhem, Ahhem... that is a lie :D

Anyway, i agree with you..
    Eragon is like the cliche of the century :p