anyone else here hate eragon?

Discussion in 'Rants & Scams' started by ireadtoomuch, Aug 29, 2005.

1. ireadtoomuch

ireadtoomuch New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    eragon is soooo cheap... i mean i liked it, then i read lotr and realized hes a total ripoff...

2. Wolf

Wolf Professor Nick Cutter.

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    What? Who is Eragon? Do you mean Aragorn? I don't understand what you are trying to say here.

3. Raolain Darksbane

Raolain Darksbane Only slightly insane.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Official Eragon website

I've never read Eragon, but I've heard that it's good. But then I've also heard that it rips off a lot of ideas from Wheel of Time and Lord of the Rings. If I can find it in a library I'll probably read it.

4. Alonwi

Alonwi Dracovendi

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Eragon is the name of a book wriiten by a young author named Christopher Paolini. It has nothing to do with Aragorn, Wolf. In response to the thread, I do not think that there are any obvious connects to LoTR. Name one good one.

5. Dystopia Eternal

Dystopia Eternal The Windbringer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i'm gonna say, it wasn't BAD, but it wasn't particularly well-written. and i can't bring myself to read it again. i heard the second one came out, and im not even interested in reading it.
    of course he borrowed from other places
    did it also occur to you that:
    uncle's farm destroyed
    go off to save world
    star wars man, star wars.

yeah, so i'm not a fan either.

6. Nynaeve

Nynaeve <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -0
    I liked it, and I want to read the next one. And Dystopia, the home destroyed, so I must leave thing happens a lot, it did in the Wheel of Time. I think it's just a simple, common way to get the hero/heroine out in the world to get the book going. :)

7. Dragn9

Dragn9 Sorcerer Supreme

Ratings:
    +175 / 0 / -0
    I liked Eragon as well...it wasn't that bad...and yeah The Eldest came out...I'm going to have to read that too!

8. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    It's not a bad book, but I'll admit I didn't like it very much.

1) In terms of pure writing style, it could have been better. IMHO, if you're using too many -ly words, you don't know how to write descriptively. George R. R. Martin, who wrote aSoIaF (and my favorite author) is an excellent writer.

2) It's a rather stereotypical plot: Eragon discovers his destiny (Saphira). His home is destroyed, and off he runs to avenge his uncle. Along the way, a beautiful Elf asks him for help, he helps her, and now he has to go work against the bad guy. (Sorry, haven't read it for a long, long while.)

3) A pet peeve of mine, but why do people use the "Elf" and "Dwarf" stereotype of Tolkien? Alonwi, this is where the obvious connection to LotR comes in.

Elves are beautiful, noble, wise, better fighters and mages, etc. etc. beyond human ken.

Dwarves are very good with their hands, proud, stubborn, etc.

Again, IMHO, I think that a good author creates new races. GRRM used only humans, but I think aSoIaF is one of the best series out there, and the best I've read so far.

4) The characters are flat. Eragon is always good, noble, etc. The bad guys are nothing but bad. I can't decide half the time whether to hate or love Jaime Lannister, my second-favorite character in the series, or whether to praise or condemn Catelyn Stark, a devoted mother who will do some fairly mean things for her children. But on the other hand, Catelyn sees farther and wiser than some other people do.

5) The reality seems really, really flat after reading GRRM's incredible nit-grittiness. Half the time, I think it's real. The other half, I wish it was real. ;) Eragon goes through some problems, but it wasn't enough to make me cry. His embarassments don't make me laugh, either. GRRM's characters go through so many tragedies, comedies, and "nobilities" :D that I'm either crying, laughing, cheering, or booing for over half of the book.

Again, I haven't read Eragon for a while. I'll go read it this week and post something more detailed, but that's what I came up with right now. I haven't read Eldest, and I'm not likely to; I'm too busy waiting for Knife of Dreams (Wheel of Time) and A Feast for Crows (GRRM).

I strongly suggest that you read aSoIaF by GRRM if you like your books a little more "real" and interesting (but that's just my opinion.) BE WARNED: has some adult content.

9. CupofDice

CupofDice Gamabunta

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    The Lord of the Rings-

Right outside of the Dwarf Mountain is pretty much the same thing that happened in the Fellowship of the Rings (the lake and orcs coming).

The bone magic the Witch did shows that he is going to have a Frodo type leaving.

The Wheel of Time-

The part with his uncle is too similar to Rand and his dad.

A Mountain Range is called the Spine.

Eragon expresses disgust at the boiling oil, and I quite remember Rand/Perrin having exactly the same feelings.

The Forsworn was 13 Evil Dragon Riders who spent their time plotting against each other. Obviously the Forsaken.

Wizard of Earthsea-

Have not read WoE yet, but I know that it has a language which you cannot lie and is powerful.

In addition he screwed up with the Witch part, basically telling us Eragon's fate. The fact that Arya and every other elf is more powerful then Eragon makes you wonder why they just don't kill the King and his Dragon. The world is not interesting whatsoever, and you wonder how can it even be called an empire with the few populated areas it has. Where in this world did the Razac come from. The Razac are also the Nazgul. How was it possible for the King and his twelve companions to defeat so many Dragons? We have Shades and Urgal, but you have to wonder where do they live. How can the Varden possibly be successful in attacks if they are so far away? And why would the King use Urgals when he has loyal troops from his 'Empire'. Why did Arya only have two guardians with her? What is this land of the west which the Elves, Urgals, and Man come from? There are like 5 different sorts of magic which was just foolish.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2005
  10. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    Hey now, let's not bash it too much. I read Eragon recently, and am currently reading Eldest. At times it is kind of cheesy, and a tad on the predictable side. But "hate" is a very strong word. I find it enjoyable. I't s good book just to sit down and read, not really terribly serious. If I'm looking for that, I'll pick up Tolkien, McKillip, or Jordan.

Eragon is in a different class than the great epics of Tolkien and Jordan. Sometimes you can tell he's grasping a little to hard for an epic feel. If he'd leave that off, I think it would be a little better. Remember, only mediocre writers are always at their best.

But I do think that it does illustrate the true greatness of writers like Tolkien, because they CAN'T be imitated by others. It seems like Eragon borrows a lot from other stories, but it obviously doesn't work. Sometimes you need to read something so-so to appreciate the greatness.

(And while this is kind of a rant, the whole Arya storyline really ticks me off. Soooo predictable.
    "Oh no, Eragon, we can't be together! It would ruin everything!"
    "Yes we can!"
    "No, we can't!"
    "But don't you love me?"
    "No... errr yes, of course! No!"

:rolleyes:

11. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Hehe - great encouragement for me to read Eldest. ;) I'll just wait for KoD instead.

12. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    lol. I'm much more eagerly anticipating Knife of Dreams myself. But you should read Eldest in the meantime. It's not all bad. Has a couple of good moments. :D

13. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    A couple vs. many?

I'll think about it. ;)

14. SapphireMoon

SapphireMoon Of the Fae

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I read Eragon mostly because I wanted see what a novel by a teen would be like (myself being an aspiring young author). I can't say that it particularly stood out in my eyes, and frankly, it read like it was written by a teen. IMO, the author was young and Eragon was his first novel. He was bound to draw on other sources and build his ideas around them. Maybe he'll grow out of that as he developes his own style and whatnot.

But what do I know? I just joined today and this happens to be my first post. :halo:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Richard Rahl

Richard Rahl New Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    I'd say I hate Eragon because after having read it, I found myself comparing it to good books, such as The Lord of the Rings, and the Sword of Truth books. I just find it annoying that I took time to read these books, and they weren't what I expected. It's a lowly fantasy series. Anyone who thinks it rivals Harry Potter even, is sadly mistaken. SoT, LotR, HP, and His Dark Materials are great fantasy series, and I'm afraid the Inheritance Trilogy is lagging far behind, and then some.

16. Reaper

Reaper Super Llama

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I liked that book, sure some things where cliche, but meh, what isn't now a days. But anywho, I also realized that he may have used those ideas because he's a teen, and teens aren't the brightests and have other things on there minds but hey?

17. Morelen

Morelen Jer Mom

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I can't say as I hated it, but it wasn't that great. Writing style was meh, plot was corny and overdone, characters barely two-sided at the least.

18. Ranger_of_Gondor

Ranger_of_Gondor Gondorian Defender

Massachusets(The mostly Anti-Bush state. Hooray!)
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I've read Eragon, and now I'm reading Eldest. They're good books and for me are an enjoyable read. But yes, the characters, plot, and even style of the races are to predictable. The dwarves are rough n' tough miners, and the elves are the perfect elegant race. And you can just about predict what's going to happen in the next chapter. Plus I'm not a big fan of Saphira and her smart-ass attitude. But Eldest is darker and better written then Eragon, so you may at least want to flip through it. But I do warn you, it starts off very slowy, which is probaly why I'm not finished with it yet. It goes on and on.

19. Aemon Targaryen

Aemon Targaryen New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    It is one of the most overated books of the decade. The entire thing was a cliche, a hodgepodge of stolen ideas from real authors of the genre.
    On top of that it READS like it was written by a teenager, he might yet grow up to be a good writer but he needs to learn and practice more before I'll even think about picking up another one of his books. I only got about half-way throught it before I put it down in disgust. If I had a mother in publishing I could put out a book too, it doesnt mean I should.

So yes, to answer your question, some people here to hate Eragon.

20. Boadicea

Boadicea Warrior Queen

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    I actually liked Eragon, although it was certainly stereotypical. I suppose the main reason I enjoyed it was because I admire the fact that Christopher Paolini was a teenage unknown who managed to become a best-selling author, rather like what I hope to become. True, the writing was weak at times, but you could tell that he just needed some writing practice. Eldest is actually quite good, I recommend it. ANd Lady Dragon Heart, I disagree about the characters being 'flat'. We're talking in the fantasy genre here, where there's almost always a thick line between good and evil.