Any tips for starting leatherworking?

Discussion in 'Historical Re-enactment' started by Gavaha, Nov 4, 2003.

1. Gavaha

Gavaha Art House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Anyone have any tips to start leatherworking? Any would be appreciated

2. waenlotien

waenlotien Healer/ Magicuser

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    What are you interested in knowing, I work with leather, but as of yet I do not know how to tan it. I am trying to find someone to teach me that part. right now I just buy my leather remnants.

3. Gavaha

Gavaha Art House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    making leather armour, pouches ect, but I would buy the leather, not tan it,

4. sefranox

sefranox New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    im buying all the leather i use at a lokal flea market (i dont know if thats the right word, a market where you usually buy second hand products). there its really cheap, you have a big variety and the guy im always going to already knows me so i get a little discount :D .

any tips to start leatherworking ?
    well, you have to own the right tools, for the right leather. leather can be really really hard, so you have to cut it with a metal-scissor for example ...

i dont know what to say any more, what exactly do you want to know?

sefranox

5. Gavaha

Gavaha Art House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    oh, just how to get started

6. Harrison

Harrison The Best Beatle

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, flea market is the right word. I've done some leatherworking. It was in my art class so we started out with wristbands. After that I kind of just picked it up on my own.

7. Aragorn II

Aragorn II New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Leather working such as on Aragorn/Boromir's bracers is called tooling or leather carving. There are several on-line sites that can give you a basic understanding of the process. A basic thing is starting out with the right type of leather for a project like this. The type of leather that can be tooled or carved is called "vegatable tanned". and it comes in several different weights or thicknesses. Hope this was helpful!

8. Gavaha

Gavaha Art House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    oh yea, know any sites? just pm them to me

9. sefranox

sefranox New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    why pm them? as long as they dont sell anything you could post them here and we all can enjoy them !

sefranox

10. waenlotien

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    for pouches I have done several different patterns.

cut out 2 full circles (about 3 inches larger thenthe size you want the pouch) Take one, go down the three inches and cut straight across.(this will be your flap) Punch out a hole approx every 1/4 inch. Then I have done either of two things. Either make a leather lace (which you can also buy at wal-mart in the craft section) and entwine it all the way through and around. or tie individual strand to each hole that you cut. Then in the flap part go to the middle of the flap and cut a hole large enough for you to fit it over a button or what ever closure you do. (some use a leather tie, some use a leather loop and them put something in the loop. I use a segment of a deer antler.

another method...

cut the leather the size of the pouch you want. in a rectangular shape. Fold it in half. sew the bottom edge and side together. ( I use imitation cat gut for this- you can get it at craft stores) then with the top I punch holes in it and then take some leather lacing and crisscross it though (that way nothing can fall out, until you want to take it out.-criss crossing? umm, like your show laces.) and cut the length of the leather lacing to desired length. ( i use this one for my medicine (charma) bag. It holds my crystals, feather, sage and other such items.

If you want instead of making the rectangular one, make a big cirle and fold up the edges (aroung a baseball is good) and then thread leather lacing though hole you punch. (punch the holes after you rubberband it to a ball, then you will know how they are going to line up.

for bracer, i will have too look again, but soewhere i have a pattern for aragorns bracers. but here is a close up detail of Boromirs (the ones that Aragorn took one of.

http://webhome.idirect.com/~tk421/rangerbracersdeluxe1.jpg

11. MacDhai

MacDhai New Member

Iowa... land of corn, corn, corn, corn, corn, corn
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just found this site, and I'm sittin' at work right now so I don't have anything 'with' me... but if I can get 'em scanned in, I've got quite a few patterns fer different items I'll gladly share with any and all who want 'em...

e.g.: pouches, quiver, bracers, belts, gauntlets (1/2 and full), couple others...

After the basic ones there, most everything else I get commissioned to do or decide to make, I just wing the pattern at the time...

Leather boxes with leather hinged lids, etc...

Highly recommend, find some "cheap" leather to start with tho'... the one thing about leather, you cut it wrong, to small etc... there's not really much you can do about it... boiling (a bit advanced) is another area you just HAVE to watch out for... a second to long and you've got yourself a nice chunk of shriveled up nothing... LOL

Well... gotta run for now... will try to get some o' those patterns scanned for those that would like 'em...

M

12. sefranox

sefranox New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    i love patterns !!! :D

would be really cool if you could scan and post them here !

13. evkl

evkl New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Those pouches would be neat..I'd make one if I had the time and/or money...Maybe I'll save up.

Question to go along with it...Does leather get sewn together like cloth would? Or is there a different process for putting it all together?

14. Harrison

Harrison The Best Beatle

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hmmmm......I guess it depends on the thickness of the leather.

15. Gûd Daedheloth

Gûd Daedheloth Foe of Morgoth's Realm

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    It's the same basic concept. Sewing leather takes longer, though, b/c sometimes you have to put holes in it with a hammer and nail.

16. MacDhai

MacDhai New Member

Iowa... land of corn, corn, corn, corn, corn, corn
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Will agree on the sewing point... ALL of my leather is sewn if I can arrange it that way... think the sewing looks much more "authentic" than a lot of riveting... tho' rivets 'do' have their uses...

As to pre-punching your holes for sewing... do it... makes it MUCH easier in the long run. Don't matter if I'm working on some good 1/4"+ thick stuff or some nice deer skin, takes a wee bit longer, but saves a heap of trouble later...

Good chunk of fake sinew ran me about $13.00 about 4 years ago, still have a TON of it left too... it goes a long ways... as for needles... I've picked up a ton of upholstery needles as the local fabric store. They work just the same as leather sewing needles (still don't know why leather needles usually have a dull tip instead of a nice sharp point... ah well, go figure...)

M

17. waenlotien

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I use an upholstery tack to start my holes, then thread it with the "cat gut". If I am using leather lacings, I use a nail to do my holes.

18. Gavaha

Gavaha Art House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    what type(s) of threads/lacings do you all use? I think I read a few.

19. sefranox

sefranox New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    i dont use threads/lacings, all of my stuff is riveted :D , im just too lazy for anything else, but it looks great !

20. Gûd Daedheloth

Gûd Daedheloth Foe of Morgoth's Realm

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I use some waxed nylon thread.