Any Ideas for a Humanoid Fantasy Race?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AudRaePail, Mar 18, 2017.

1. AudRaePail

AudRaePail New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am thinking about creating a fantasy world but I am unable to come up with a race. I have created several races but I never seem to find a fantasy race that I can stick to. Any ideas?

2. Midnattblod

Midnattblod Ranger of Shadow

Ratings:
    +518 / 3 / -0
    hmm, what kind of idea do you have for this race? might be easier to help out with a bit of a template to work with

3. Cephalophore

Cephalophore New Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Can you go into a bit more detail about what kind of race you're interested in creating? Is it an 'evil' race? Are they stronger than humans? Taller? Shorter? Thinner? Broader? More intelligent? Less intelligent?

Do they have regular human skin tones, or something different like green or grey? Are they associated with a particular area/landscape (islands? mountains? plains? the sea?)

Of course, you can always take a classic fantasy race (dwarves, orcs, gnomes, etc) and give them a unique slant. For example wild elves that live in the jungle, gnomes that are known for building huge cities, orcs who are ashamed of their history and are trying to build a civilisation of their own, etc

4. AudRaePail

AudRaePail New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The race I am thinking about is stronger than humans, they are about the same size of humans, and they are about as intelligent as a human.

I am thinking about creating a race with fur or scales in which the race with fur may live in the mountains/forest and the race with scales may live in the ocean.

However, I am stuck on creating most of the physical features of the race and their backstory.

5. AudRaePail

AudRaePail New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think I may create a race with scales and they would live in the ocean, or a race with fur that may live in the forest/mountains. However,
    I am stuck on creating most of their physical features and their backstory.

6. Midnattblod

Ratings:
    +518 / 3 / -0
    hmm, I'll put some thought into it and hopefully come up with something tomorrow. honestly if I wasn't about to go to bed, I'd try now, but I'm half asleep already so I'm gonna wait.

7. AudRaePail

AudRaePail New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Take as much time as you need. I really do appreciate that you are helping me.

8. Midnattblod

Ratings:
    +518 / 3 / -0
    Name: TBD

Habitat: Forested foothills of ____ mountain range (I'm not sure what you have in mind for names of landmasses so I'll leave it blank for you to decide)

Description: standing roughly four feet tall, this race is easily noticed due to the fur covering most (if not all or partial) of their bodies. the fur for each individual member of (race name) differs slightly, though some common tones include black, brown, reddish, and grey. due to their fur, they rarely require clothing when amongst themselves, though over time they realized that it's best to have some when traveling, or dealing with other races. they have eyes similar to woodland creatures, and are very adept at seeing in the dark, making them great companions for groups wishing to explore the deep caverns near their homeland. (I would normally describe their facial features somewhat, but I'm unsure if you are going for more human-esque faces, or if you want more animalistic with snouts and whatnot (similar to Khajit in the Elder Scrolls series) so I'll kinda leave that up to you.)

Common Trades: Due to their proximity to the mountains, they tend to lean towards mining for rare metals and gems to trade with the outside world. they also trade in lumber, and other materials found easily in the woodland regions of the world. they excel at hunting, most knowing how to string a bow by their 10th summer. some more gifted amongst them also are considered to be some of the best healers of herbal remedies, often being sought out by royalty (if you wanna go that route) for cures of normally deadly diseases. (these are just common trades that I kinda thought up, but I figure you can decide how far they branch out).

Culture and Lifespan: (well actually, unless you desperately want help coming up with this sort of stuff, I have no idea lol. I would say that they live roughly 70 summers if lucky, and are rather peaceful folk, enjoying their time while they can with festivals devoted to nature gods (not sure how your pantheon is set up, so again, your call :)))

and that's all I came up with. if you need help with a name, sadly I'm not the best with that. I can think on it a bit more and maybe add to the overall description, but yea. also, sorry for the delay in getting back to you, been a rather busy last week with work and all :).