Anthony Ryan's "Raven Shadow"

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Firiath, May 6, 2014.

1. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +793 / 5 / -0
    Anthony Ryan's Raven Shadow series, of which only one book has been published so far, Blood Song, is a series I discovered on Goodreads, thanks to a review written by our fellow TFFer Meteorain. As ASOIAF was the last fantasy series I had read, the bar was set incredibly high, so it took a while until I found a fantasy novel that would meet my expectations. I really enjoyed Blood Song from beginning to end and I can't wait for the sequel to come out in July, Tower Lord.

Has anyone else read it? And if so, do you share my enthusiasm about the series?

2. Chromp

Chromp New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I see its a while ago since this was posted but Ima reply anyway!

Yes! I have read it and also Tower Lord and am now waiting eagerly for the third one! I do indeed share your enthusiasm. Great writing, great characters and very exciting story. Anthony Ryan is definitely an author I'll be keeping an eye on in the future. Thumbs up!

3. Firiath

Ratings:
    +793 / 5 / -0
    How did you like Tower Lord? I haven't read it yet, although the book keeps looking at me in strange ways every time I pass the shelf - I know it wants me to read it, and so do I, but I'm waiting for the right moment!
    I actually started reading it, but had forgotten so many of the characters and events from the first book that I decided to read both books during my next vacation. It'll take a while, but then I'll at least be able to savour every single word. :D

4. Chromp

Chromp New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I really enjoyed Tower Lord. At first I encountered the same problem though. A lot of the characters was forgotten so I had to go back to the first book just to remember who's who. Also a few new and great characters (which I'll hopefully remember by the time the third book gets out.) All in all it was a great read and if the last book follows the standard already set it will definitely be one of my favorite series.:D

5. El lobo

El lobo New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just managed to get a signed and numbered edition of his next book
    Queen of fire
    I can't wait :)

6. Firiath

Ratings:
    +793 / 5 / -0
    I received a signed edition of that book only a few weeks ago, through a Goodreads giveaway. Just like when I read the second book this one started with a little confusion on my part about who is who and who was doing what at the end of the previous book. The confusion lasted through most of the reading process (despite the list of characters at the end of the book!), but because I didn't have the time to re-read Tower Lord and really wanted to know how the story ends I continued reading, and I actually enjoyed it a lot.
    One day I'll read all three books one after another, and who knows, I might notice something new about the story that I never realised because I had forgotten so much about the first/second book when starting read the second/third. :D

7. Julie

Julie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    What's it about?

8. Firiath

Ratings:
    +793 / 5 / -0
    If I may quote the description on the first book's Goodreads page...
    It starts with the main character becoming part of that order and how he survives certain trials, then there are lots of wars and conquests and intrigues and also something evil behind all the political stuff around those things. (And I'm probably missing a lot in my brief description) :D The series eventually adds new points of view and plot lines to the story, so we don't only learn about Vaelin, but also other characters, which I liked a lot.