Anime file help

Discussion in 'Anime and Manga Society' started by Alchemist, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Alchemist

Alchemist The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    Okay, I am downloading a series through a torrent. it is downloading two separate files for each episode. A ssa and a ogg (or ogm). Not every episode is downloaded yet but a couple are.
    When I play them to test them out they work fine even though the second file version isnt finished (that or is unrecognized)
    My first thought was that since its a dual audio version the larger of the two files would be the main episode the smaller the audio component. If this is true when everything is finished downloading will they merge together or ... what...

here is a screen cap
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v41/axehandle/animefile.jpg

Last edited: Dec 1, 2007
  2. Aphelion

Aphelion The Mighty One

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    No, I dont think they will merge.. I remember I downloaded an anime like that, the files with .ssa file extension typically refer (in the world of digital video) to video subtitle files made with a tool called Sub Station Alpha or other tools compatible with its subtitle format.

3. Alchemist

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    So, if the smaller files were deleted, would the video still work?

oh and thanks....when it comes to file types...torrents etc...i know VERY little, being that I am just recently getting into it.

4. Aphelion

Aphelion The Mighty One

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Well.. I doubt that if you will delete the .ssa files then the video wont work, actually im pretty sure it will work because its only a subtitles file so it doesnt affect anything... u can just move the files to another location and try the video.. basically if you remove a subtitles file from the same folder that your video file is then the video will lack the subtitles, although you can load the subtitles manualy. However, if you said that the video file is OGG or OGM.. I am quite positive that the anime you've downloaded has Dual Audio, therefore you can switch audio from japanese to english if you want.. and perhaps there is a variety of subtitles too. If you are interested in a program to watch these files, I can recommand you media player classic, it is very easy to use, it reads everything and you can easily switch between channals.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  5. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    I wouldn't delete anything if I were you. ssa files are used for subtitling. If you're like me and don't think too highly of dubbing you'll listen to the original japanese with subs.

Files like these sometimes have multiple subtitling formats. You can get the subtitles in different fonts and stuff like that, that's why the have the extra ssa file to play over and choose what not.

Basically my recommendation is to just leave it lol.

6. Aphelion

Aphelion The Mighty One

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Yup.. I didnt say delete it either. And I too prefer to listen to the original japanese audio.

7. Alchemist

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, when its finally finished I will probably move the subtitle files to another folder to keep a clean folder look...lol

I usually do prefer subs to dubs, but there are several anime shows that I prefer dub to.

Thanks again....now I just have to wait for it to finish