Anime Dubs Suck!

Discussion in 'Rants & Scams' started by willowstar23, Aug 15, 2005.

1. willowstar23

willowstar23 Something darkly cute

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I don't know about anyone else, but anime dubs drive me mad! There are many reasons for this but if I list them all, I'll be here all day, so, I am only goNna list some of them.

1. The script is nearly always altered causing us to lose hold of the plot

2. Characters names are altered too - I dont know why they do this but its dumb in my opinion

3. The dub voices are usually really cheesy american ones or other accents put on really badly by american actors

4. Kanji is usually cut out from the surroundings and it seems as though the effect that they are trying to create is that everything takes place in America

5. The theme songs are usually completely changed instead of using the english versions of the origionals (this wouldn't bother me much but you just have to look at anime on tv at the moment eg. Shaman King, and look at the comparison between the openings to know what I am talking about)

I could rant on about this all day, but I'm gonna stop now.

Oh and can I please say that it is not Americans I am ranting about... its the stupid dub companies (that just happen to be american)

;)

2. doleniel

doleniel Elven High Priestess

surrounded by idiots with no hope of escape
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Generally, I agree with you; if there is a sub version available, I try to go for that, but not all dubs are a piece of crap. I've often noticed that the quality of a dub often corresponds to the visual quality and intended audience of the anime. For example, shows like One Piece, which is aimed at a younger audience and has less sophisticated art, have more annoying dubs. I've noticed this especially in the more mass-produced shows, such as the Dragonball series. Shows with more adult themes and higher frame counts, such as GITS:Stand Alone Complex and Cowboy Bebop tend to have better dubs. I've watched Stand Alone Complex in both Japanese and English, and the voices of the different actors are very similar.

As for the script being altered, some of that is necessary. Alot of the things that are changed are Japanese cultural references that most non-Japanese people would not understand. There might be a reference to a game show or something that we might not recognize, but is similar to a show we would know, so they change it. Alos, the Japanese grammatical structure is very different from english, there are some things that are impossible to translate directly. Admittedly, there are some thigs which are changed to appeal more to Western sensibilities (for example, in the beginning of Spirited Away Chihiro and her family pass small houses which, in the Dub, are called houses for the forest spirits but in the Sub are more accurately called shrines to the local gods). This can be irritating, but it can be interesting to compare the two. What really irritates me is when the dub actors are people I am familiar with from American television or film. I can't watch the dub of Spirited Away because Chihiro sound too much like Lilo from"Lilo and Statch" and Haku sounds too much like Tino from "The Weekenders."

I have not really noticed character names being altered that much, aside from occaisionally changing some odd r's that would sound more natural as l's to an English speaker. This can be annoying, but it happens.

If you are going by what you see during the day on basic cable, then yeah, I agree with you. Alot of this stuff is geared towards kids that probably don't even realize they are watching anime. But once you get into the alot of stuff on Adult Swim type programming blocks and channels like G4/tech TV, they are not as cheesy. Likewise with the kanjiin the background and the theme songs. Most of the anime I watch either uses the original theme or another song from the same composer as the rest of the music.

On the whole, I think you have not been watching the best stuff that is out there.

3. willowstar23

willowstar23 Something darkly cute

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    yeah, i agree, they arn't all bad, I think I'm just bias towards the origional versions because that's how it was made... I think the beauty of anime for me is the japanese language and culture within the story.

4. Daisuke

Daisuke NekoChan3000

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Oh hell yeah always go for the subs I hate it when they try to Cover it up. TO be honest it makes the characters sound how to put it Dumb stupid takes away some of thier sanity and sexuaity if ou ask me!

5. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Damn straight!

Dubbing pisses me off to no end. Just face it....american voicing sounds incredibly stupid.

It's so bad to hear them pronounce things and their voices just piss me off.

I have only come across one good dubbing. Cowboy Bebop the movie.

Also, as for script change. I don't agree that they should. Side notes should just be made to indicate, e.g. Hikari no Aoi - Popular TV soap. or something along those lines. Ppl who generally atch anime have a clue about aspects of jap lifestyle, etc. also, dubbing also has quite a bit of inaccuracies I have noticed.

And as we all know, anime characters have to state what move they are doing. The move sounds really really really cheesy/crap in english, and much better in Jap.

Can you imagine in Naruto: Doton Shinjuu Zanshu no Jutsu being said as Inner Decapitation technique

That sounds stupid, but in Jap sounds a lot more natural to say, aswell as better.