Animal Cruelty in the name of Religion

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Crouton, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    This debate arose last year in Australia in particular when it was discovered that many of our cattle where being exported live to other countries where they were being brutally killed... because of religion. Here you have to legally stun a cow before killing it so it doesn't experience as much stress and pain as being killed while still fully conscious. Not every country has the same rules, and in many the animal has to be alive when it's throat is slit. I think it's kosher, or halal or something like that. I don't remember which one but it was due to religious reasons that the animal had to be alive. I don't think religion should ever be an excuse to cause suffering to anything, be it human or animal.

Do you think cruelty towards animals is excusable in the name of religion?

2. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    To put it briefly: Animal cruelty is never acceptable/excusable. Religious reasons for this are just as stupid as any other reasons, in my opinion.

3. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Which religion?

4. Gayle Miller

Gayle Miller New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    It's halal and is common in the Muslim religion. The food has to be prepared according to their religious laws.

Animal cruelty is never acceptable but their butchers are trained to give a swift death to the animal so that it doesn't suffer. I don't know if the same can be said for mass market killings in our countries. There are horror stories of what our animals go through as well.

5. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
    religions in general aren't excusable

6. Blackness

Blackness Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    What? The cutting of the carotid artery IS humane. It was humane a thousand years ago and it is now. The animal loses consciousness within seconds.
    What isn't humane is keeping animals in 2x2 meters their whole lives, never seeing the sun, living in their own shit, and then "electrocuting" them before death as a display of mercy.
    Pain is the most natural thing in the world. Never seeing the sun and never experiencing freedom isn't. That's all I have to say.

7. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    It makes me increasingly sad that the concept of battery milk farming has become a reality and is even being encouraged by the fact that traditional milking practice is uneconomical when one considers the prices the big supermarkets and chain buyers pay for the produce.

*this is without getting into the separate argument regarding the breeding of unhealthy livestock because of their ability to produce milk in vast quantities*

8. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    It was the treatment of the animals before they cut the artery that wasn't humane. And many of them didn't do it correctly in these Indonesian abattoirs. We had footage of cattle still being alive with half it's throat slit and blood pouring out. Still conscious.