Anduril-sword of Aragon

Discussion in 'Fantasy Weapons and Armour' started by swordsman, Aug 21, 2003.

1. swordsman

swordsman New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    "The Sword of Elendil was forged anew by elvish smiths, and on its blade was traced a device of seven stars set between the crescent Moon and the rayed Sun, and about them were written many runes; for Aragorn son of Arathorn was going to war upon the marches of Mordor. Very bright was that sword when it was made whole again; the light of the sun shone redly in it, and the light of the moon shone cold, and its edge was hard and keen. And Aragorn gave it a new name and called it Anduril, Flame of the West."

Will this new reforged sword, "Anduril", have any changes from its original form as "Narsil Sword of Elendil"? Will it have new engravings on it as stated in the above quote? From all observations we can see no physical changes or differences between the two. To be honest we just do not know until the release of the official specifications sheets and photographs are released by United Cutlery.

United Cutlery is limited to reproducing props in the movies and have gone to great extremes to make sure that there Lord of the Rings reproductions are as close as possible to the original props used in the movies. They cannot take any artistic liberties or change from this because it is a terms of the License agreement set by New Line Cinama...etc. So what ever differences there are between Narsil & Anduril depends entirely on what differences the designers of Narsil and Anduril put into the original pieces or props. Ben Wooten designed the sword "Narsil", production artist John Howe and world renowned Tolkien Illustrator designed the handle, production sword smith Peter Lyon made the sword, and David Salo translated the runes on the pommel.

Now the all important question is what surprises did they add Anduril to make it unique from Narsil? We will see in a few months I guess!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2003
  2. David S

David S New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    from a picture posted in the LOTR weapons forum, it looks to only have a shorter blade.

the problem that they will have on screen depicting the reforging. In real life , when i a sword blade is made, at some point there is stock removal involved. The most logical way i THINK Tolkien was talking about was getting all of the peices of narsil, and forge folding the peices together, which is similar to the way Viking and Japanese blades hwere made. If thats the case will Andurils blade have some visible grain to it? similar to Damascus steel?
    Either way, the Elven smiths would HAVE to add steel if useing the remaiing peices, if not, they would only be able to make a smaller blade from the remaining stock. prehaps this is why the Anduril blade looks shorter..... hmmm. guess we will have to wait.

3. Dalleron

Dalleron New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    well suppose Anduril is a tad shorter than Narsil is/was, according to what Swordsman just posted, from the Fellowship I assume, it will be different than Narsil. At least it should be. Whether WETA or Newline made it different, is another story. But by all rights it should be. We will indeed have to wait, curses on waiting.

4. swordsman

swordsman New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    While we are having some fun here speculating on what the changes are going to be between these two swords I thought I would add my opinion, or guess as to what I think it will be.

First off there were to many Tolkien minded folks involved with the making of the original movie swords to over look the importance of making "Anduril" unique and distinct from "Narsil" I mean I don't think John Howe or Peter Lyons let this get past them. So we know there will some changes to the new reforged Anduril, just what it will be is the question.

After looking at all the pictures and posters I could get my hands on of this Anduril, I can see no physical changes in color, size, shape of the hilt at all. This doesn't mean there aren't an just going by what I can visually see. The possibility of a different length as DavidS pointed out is certainly there as well.

But what I think it will be is in the Ruins on the hilt of the sword or embellishment of the blade with symbols or ruins. Boy this is tense isn't it. I love it!

5. Anduril

Anduril Flame of the West

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I think there will be runes one the blade. And is it possible that the runes are only on one side?

By the way, in the book Narsil was only broken in two. At least that's the idea I got.

6. Aramir

Aramir Ranger of the North

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i hope Anduril is shorter tbh, then id be able to use it as anything other than a pike =)

Search tags for this page

sword of aragon forged where