Anduril " Flame of the West" Review

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by swordsman, Nov 2, 2003.

1. swordsman

swordsman New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Anduril has to be the Cadillac of the Lotr Swords! I had the opportunity to hold one for the first time last week. At first glance you would think that it is not that much different that UC1267 NARSILª BUt that is far from the truth. The similarities are length & shape, black leather covered wire wrapped hilt, ruins inside pommel. From then on it is an entirely different sword! CLICK TO SEE ENLARGEMENT

Differences:

Runes: The runes on the pommel of UC1267 NARSIL were not highlighted in twenty-four karat gold. The inside of the pommel and hilt ends were accented with gold, but not the runes themselves were not.. The runes on Anduril's pommel are highlighted in gold.

PLAQUE: The plaque for Narsil was accented with gold silkscreened painting of elven vine design, and the tree of Gondor then covered with several layers of gloss lacquer to protect the paintings. Anduril's Plaque is nearly twice the size of Narsils in length, and has Silkscreened designs with two twenty-four karat gold plated, 3-D relief cast metal symbols of the Kingdom of Gondor held sacred by the Gondorian people.. One adorns the top of the plaque and is the artists representation of the sacred symbol of seabirds wings. The wings of Gondor are stick out from the plaque about one inch. Below this symbol is the artist rendition of the tree of Gondor This was a surprise to me because from looking at the pictures this appears to be painted. But it is also a twenty-four karat gold plated, 3-D relief cast metal symbol. This one is flat and is not 3-D CLICK TO VIEW

CERTIFICATES OF AUTHENTICITY: It will include a parchment certificate of authenticity, along with a second certificate personally autographed by production designer John Howe. And to me this means, from a collectors point of view, as much as the sword does. John Howe actually hand signed in ink (NOT MASS REPRODUCED) each one of the 5000 limited certificates. Think about it, how many people in the world can say they have an actual autograph of world renowned Tolkien illustrator John Howe? Not many. And this is not the only thing special about these certificates. They also feature original concept drawings of the sword. I have upoaded copies of the certificates for you to view. They are B&W and don't reflect the parchment paper, sorry! But it will give you an idea of what to expect. Enjoy!

Certificate -Front:
    Certificate -Back:
    Signed Certificate:

THE BLADE: The actual shape and length of the blade is no different that Narsil. But what makes Anduril different is the incorporation of Tolkiens writings of what he described as being on the blade, by the swords designers John Howe. Peter Lyon, Ben Wooten, & David Solo.

"The Sword of Elendil was forged anew by elvish smiths, and on its blade was traced a device of seven stars set between the crescent Moon and the rayed Sun, and about them were written many runes; for Aragorn son of Arathorn was going to war upon the marches of Mordor. Very bright was that sword when it was made whole again; the light of the sun shone readily in it, and the light of the moon shone cold, and its edge was hard and keen. And Aragorn gave it a new name and called it Andúril, Flame of the West."

The symbols described by Tolkien were put on the length of the blade and can be viewed here

SPECIFICATIONS:

Overall Length: 52-7/8"
    Blade Length: 40-5/8
    Blade Thickness: 1/4"
    Shipping Weight: 14 pounds
    Actual weight of sword: 5 pounds - 4 ounces
    Blade Material: Tempered 420 J2 stainless steel, false-edged.
    Handle: Solid metal cross guard and pommel with an
    antique silver plated finish and twenty-four karat
    gold plated fittings. The pommel is inscribed with
    runes and the grip is wrapped in genuine leather.
    Plaque: Silk-screened wood, twenty-four karat gold
    plated, 3-D relief cast metal symbols of the
    Kingdom of Gondor. Hardware, instructions

2. Glorfy_of_Imladris

Glorfy_of_Imladris Mysterious Glorfy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wow the picture looks really awsome! If I could afford it, I would certainly buy it! :)

3. Legend

Legend Made in NZ

Land of the Long White Cloud/Aotearoa/New Zealand
    Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    I can't wait to see Anduril turn up in the mail.

4. stricker

stricker New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nice review swordsman. What a beauty hey!

5. finrod

finrod Born to woe.

Trapped in my own dungeon together with a smelly h
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    .............( speachles).................................

6. Tenaka

Tenaka New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    One thing i noticed about my anduril and the picture, is that the runes that make up the sun are not directly in front of the hand guard, its about a little less than half an inch from the triangle part of the hand guard. Other than that, i love this sword more than Narsil. It does seem to have a different feel to it, like, a more solid feel... I dunno if its just me, anyone else notice that?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2003
  7. finrod

finrod Born to woe.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    grrrrr.......I wish I could give any opinion whatsoever on the feeling part.

8. OBSERVER

OBSERVER New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Are you sure that it's wrong? The gold spot on the triangle represents the sun. The rays should kind of be around it.

9. finrod

finrod Born to woe.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am sure UC did really intent to have it that way, I think it's quite artistic.

10. Tenaka

Tenaka New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    GD had a posted a picture on how his looks, in the Rune Problem thread, the runes for mine are positioned in the same spot as his.

11. Anduril

Anduril Flame of the West

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Waiting! Waiting! Waiting!