Andre Norton dies.

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by GOLLUMM, Mar 19, 2005.

1. GOLLUMM

GOLLUMM New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Greetings all,

Sorry to bring this sad news but legendary Sci-Fi and Fantasy author Andre Norton has just died of pneumonia ("congestive heart failure") March 17, 2005 at her home in Murfreesboro, Tenn aged 93.

She was born on February 17, 1912 in Cleveland and wrote many fantasy and Sci-Fi books including the well known Witchworld series in addition to mentoring many young and upcoming writers as well as contributing to several well known author's works including some of my favourite female writers Marion Zimmer Bradley, Julian May and Kate Elliott.

Andre Norton, was often referred to as the "Grand Dame of Science Fiction and Fantasy," wining both the Gandalf Grand Master of Fantasy and the Nebula Grand Master Award.

I remember reading her Witchworld series with some fondness along with some of her short stories that are too numerous to begin listing here.

Anyway, I'm sure there's others on this forum who can probably provide a more detailed account of her GREAT career, so I'll close by giving my heartfelt condolences to her family and friends.

She will be sorely missed by all in the Sci-Fi and Fantasy community, although her books will always be there for current and future generations to cherish...

Andre Norton - RIP
    :faceit:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2005
  2. Sorcha

Sorcha Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    That's so sad...I really enjoyed her work. Incredible writer...

3. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Although I read only her Halfblood Chronicles and Scent of Magic, I loved her writing. This is very sad news.

4. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    IM gonna cry
    She was one of the first authors I read and will always a place in my heart and book shelf.