An Introduction: The Crystal Forests

Discussion in 'RPG Theme Suggestions' started by javelin98, Jan 6, 2004.

1. javelin98

javelin98 does anyone read these?

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    An excerpt from the Geological Survey of the Southern Reaches, Ducal Academy of Engineers of Istere:

“From the northern slopes of the Fhorpali Mountains, where we had sought out the source of the White River, our expedition next took a turn south, through natural passes that we discovered by the animal tracks running through them.

“We were amazed when, one bright morning as we descended the southern face of the Fhorpalis, the land below was illuminated by the strong rays of the sun in the East. A particular valley, some fifteen leagues in length, half that in width, and running away from the mountains like a ruffled tail feather, blazed with such a brilliant green that it seemed as if the valley itself were an extension of the sun (although green). We descended with what haste we could safely manage – and not safely enough, for Private Kulis had an unfortunate stumble and plunged to his death in a chasm bordering our path – and spent the next few days finding our way to this amazingly brilliant valley.

“You would be amazed at what we found when finally we made our way into the valley. The floor of the depression was lush with undergrowth, thick grasses, ferns, and the like, but that was not what had caught our collective eye from high in the mountains. No, indeed. Sprouting from the ground in thick clusters were tall obelisks of purest crystal, some as tall as the Clock Tower in Istere, many as small as your finger. They grew up in groups and bunches, with the largest sticking straight up and the smaller ones protruding at angles from a common base. Although the most brilliant color to radiate from them was green, looking more closely revealed a veritable rainbow of other, fainter colors, some of which were only apparent if you looked obliquely at the surface rather than directly at it; the impression remains with me of how they shimmered like oil on water. Amidst the undergrowth and crystal formations were patches of bare earth that showed signs of being carefully tended – encroaching plant life had been carefully trimmed, rocks removed to form rings about the clearings, and so on.

“We camped that night, awed by how the crystals caught the light of the moons and sparkled enchantingly. We were also ambushed by a party of kobold brigands, whom we quickly dispatched, but not before they had killed Corporal Blont and stolen one of our pack mules. We put the heads of the kobolds we killed in return on pikes arranged around the perimeter of our camp, as a warning to those who might try their own hand at our fate.

“In the morning, we were surprised to find that we were surrounded, but not by kobolds or any other living thing we’d ever seen before. Instead, manlike apparitions ringed us in, looking curiously at us. They were made of the very earth itself, with small glowing eyes – perhaps the eyes were crystal as well, I’m not sure. One, darker than the rest, which might possibly be a sign of advanced age, stepped into our circle and threw down one of the kobold heads at my feet. I was afraid for a moment that these creatures, born of the earth’s very elements, were the compatriots of the kobold raiders, and that we were due a violent death at their hands. But then the dark one threw a shriveled kobold head down beside the first, and this one was obviously long dead. The figure made a complicated gesture that I cannot replicate, being composed of mere flesh rather than the shifting soils of Elysium, and the entire band withdrew.

“We stayed several more days, but it became clear that, while we were not seen as enemies, we were not entirely welcome to explore the valley, which I have named the Crystal Forests. The earthen inhabitants were warily protective of the cleared patches and the crystals, and I decided not to press the issue. We left from that place, leaving Corporal Blont buried in a rock cairn, and turned eastward, but I have long desired to venture back to that valley and marvel at its beauty once again.”

J. H. Farris
    Captain, Officer of Engineers
    Istere

Last edited: Jan 6, 2004
  2. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Javelin, I'm not sure exactly what this is. Is it an idea for starting a kingdom, part of the current kingdom we have or another RPG idea. Whatever it is, it did not belong posted under the Kingdom Section. No threads are to be posted there. Everything would go in the kingdom subforums. Since you put so much work into this, I didn't want to delete it. But could you tell me what it's for.

3. javelin98

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, I wasn't clear where to put it; I thought "theme suggestions" was the right spot. This is really an intro for a kingdom, I guess... I'll copy it and paste it into the appropriate place, and you can delete this thread. And... where exactly is the appropriate place?

4. Nienor

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    It wasn't in theme suggestions. It was in the kingdom area. I moved it for you, figured this was a good spot. :)

Do you want to start a kingdom javelin?

5. javelin98

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Oh -- maybe this is a good time for someone to take away all my sharp implements... Am I allowed to be senile at 30?

Well, thanks for the correction! I still think it's just a theme suggestion, but a little more fleshed out than the last one I gave. Now I need to sit down before I hurt myself.

6. Nienor

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    *hands Javelin a pair of blunt edge training scissors* s'ok. We have nice comfy padded rooms around here.

It's a good theme idea. I really like it. :)