America and Guns

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Crouton, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Sneakybolt

Sneakybolt Melereb

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    Gun rights are like most everything a touchy subject. I have played many games where I both shoot people and stab them in the face (I love Assassin's Creed). I have yet to so so in real life and probably never will. I have shot both handguns and rifles and enjoy shooting as a sport. My family has multiple guns which are all locked in a safe, save a handgun that is hidden in case of intrusion. My parents also taught us a respect for guns and gun safety at a young age (12-14ish), but we were also instilled with a respect for life at a younger age and that is more important.

I also very much agree with Wanted and Running. Having been taught by my parents what I was I will NEVER use a gun against someone else unless I am protecting myself or my family. If a bugler were to break in the house and were unarmed, unless s/he did something extremely stupid they would probably just be jailed after the cops came. If they were armed, and in our house it would be a different story. I believe the purpose for guns in a household is mainly to protect the family that resides within, not to use as an intimidation tactic for self profit.

Children will grow as they are raised, which I have very much come to learn living with a co-worker/roomate. She is an only child and pretty much everything she has wanted in life was handed to her. I am the youngest of 2 and have heard the word "No" from my parent's more times than I can count. We're doing the same job working for bosses that I think are amazing, and are one of the best trainers in our work. I came into the job thankful for the chance to learn and study under them. She constantly complains about pretty much everything. She has also decided that she is going to quit and go back to her previous barn where she got to do pretty much whatever she pleases. My parents are also going to be able to build their dream house and retire at 65. Her parents will never get to retire if things continue as is. Spankings are good for kids. VERY good.

• Like Like x 1
  2. grumpycroc

grumpycroc Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    You know...I live in America, in a "hunting state," and I don't get the gun obsession ether.

3. azuren82

azuren82 Berserk got banned...

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    'Tis been a long time, but here's my two cents here.
    1. The 2nd Amendment is mainly there to ensure every citizen has the right to self defend. Practically wise, it means defending your loved ones against criminals armed and dangerous.
    2. Objection against unfettered gun control is a messy issue. On one hand, we have the everyday common folks. On the other, we have the politicians. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it also seems that gun sales also contributes greatly to a closed border market. Forgive me for being cynical when I say votes matter more than actual money when it comes to the usual suspects.
    3. Have to agree wholeheartedly with Wanted Hero in terms of freedom=great power. We all know what's the underlying theme of Spiderman. Sadly, being entitled with freedom seems to have a degenerating effect and I'm not just talking about just one country. America is considered a Christian nation, but it shocks me to the very core when these same Christians failed to understand the logic behind the fall of Adam. Freedom=/=get out of jail for free, life=/=playing Monopoly.
    4. If you need help, it means you need help. Unfortunately, parents seem to be in the dark when their kids start experiencing problems (best example being the Sandy Hook shootings). More oft than not, gun shootings ended up in gunman suicide. Why do they commit suicide? They got the guts to shoot innocent people dead, but not the courage to turn themselves in. This is indicative of deep set malaise within the American society where self-obsession and self-inferiority becomes a vicious cycle many Americans are blissfully ignorant of.
    5. There is a reason behind the stereotypical American cop. Granted stereotyping isn't acceptable, but a flawed system will always limit efforts of even the greatest men. In fact, this is the only practical reason why America needs the 2nd Amendment rather than any stupid debates on gun control and total gun ban (the latter which will never happen due to the American Constitution itself).

Okay rant over. Need to ease myself back again.

4. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Very interesting video

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Dreamscaper

Dreamscaper Royal Hamster Wrangler

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -0
    Hot damn, talk about not having a spine.

I'm not disagreeing with you that its an interesting video, but if I'm in a position where I feel that I need a gun many of the tags proves they're effective and not much else. These people...

6. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    I think part of the key is that in America owning a gun is rather like owning a flat-cap if you're in Yorkshire. Or having oversized gold chains around your neck; or driving a certain type of car; clothes etc....

Yes its expensive; yes its dangerous; but its also a kind of social element too. People feel they need a gun for protection; because "everyone has a gun for protection." There is a strong element of both social conformity and peer pressure that takes place that many other countries don't have because they don't have the same relationship with guns.

I think that is what the people in the video are trying to break; they are trying to present a side to guns that isn't just the range shooting aspect. They deliberately picked/showed normal people in normal every day (at least apparent from their clothes and mannerisms) who felt they needed a gun for protection.

Heck it would not surprise me if within American culture if you are a father (sorry not being sexist but I suspect its more a male than female thing) who has kids who admits to not having a gun some other parents will look down or oddly at you. I mean what "honest, loving caring father wouldn't own a gun to protect his family?"

7. Fafnir

Fafnir Consutum De Ventito

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Jim Jeffries - Gun Control. Just about says it all in an entertaining idiom.

I don't mind sensible gun control, and certainly prefer it to having absent or half-arsed legislation, but I don't agree with the firebrand SJW campaigns of wacky hard-liners who call for a complete ban on private and individual gun ownership. It's legitimate sport/hobby, and I don't think it equitable or sensible to vehemently oppose it because a lot of people enjoy it (the majority of which are law-abiding citizens). Should there be control mechanisms to ameliorate the potential for harm or intentional misuse? Absolutely. As there should be with any tool or activity that could easily harm or destroy a human life (automobiles, alcohol, sky-diving, head-butting sharks, etc).

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dreamscaper

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -0
    If you live in a good area sure, but if you live in a less than friendly area it is a necessity. Can't say I've ever met anyone with a gun that thought that way, its generally a direct correlation to a very real threat or a matter of hunting (though these tend to be rifles instead of pistols or shotguns, at least with the ones I know) In regards to social pressure to own a gun, no not at all. It's a gross exaggeration to make that statement.

9. Fafnir

Fafnir Consutum De Ventito

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Oscar Pistorius. Everyone was so wound up with the fact that he shot and killed his fiancee (fair enough as it was murder/manslaughter), but no-one raised an eyelid or voiced any concern over the fact that his apparent logic was: "Criminal has broken in, I should come out firing straight up".

Having worked with a South-African woman, she regaled me with more than a few hair-raising stories about run-ins with the indigenous and destitute locals, even in an apparently 'secure' gated community. Her husband had been bashed and robbed five times in the space of 2 years, and her neighbour had been brutally assaulted twice in 18 months. Because of the apparent predilection for crime in that part of the world, a lot of the more fortunate citizens tend to be armed or at least have 'protection' in safe storage in their homes. Can't speak to the state of America in such terms, but it's a scary place out there sometimes, and I can sympathise with the need for 'peace of mind'.

Makes me grateful to live in a safer part of the world, indeed.

10. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

The truth of the matter is, if you live in a western country, even a big city with loads of crime you are about 100 times more likely to die of a heart attack or stroke than as a result of a bullet.
    I just love the folks that scream bloody murder about gun rights and keep hand guns at home for protection... meanwhile they're 40lbs-80lbs overweight and the real enemy is in their cupboard.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Dreamscaper

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -0
    You're not likely to get killed by lightning either, but that doesn't mean you go swimming in a thunderstorm does it?

12. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

In 2014, all of 26 people died in America as a result of Lightning Strikes... meanwhile that same year, over 600,000 people died of Heart Disease or related causes.
    And I was nearly killed one evening ten or so years ago, when lightning struck a pine tree which was twenty feet from where I was quietly sitting at my computer. It cost me thousands in ruined electronic equipment, but I survived fine... though I thought I was supposed to get superhero powers or be able to communicate with the dead, or something. All that happened was I smelled like ozone.o_O

13. Dreamscaper

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -0
    lol, I guess Thor wasn't ready to pass the torch. Better luck next time.

Point was though that you don't put yourself intentionally in situations were you are vulnerable like that. Heart disease being a big problem doesn't mean there aren't other risks.