Am I the only person who hasn't seen or read Lord of the Rings!?!?

Discussion in 'General Movies' started by Thârr, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Thârr

Thârr Entramä Sarê

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Ok, so I think that I should read LOTR now :p It sounds really good :p
    So.. On the Forum I must be the only person :p

2. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +335 / 3 / -2

There's another option if you're not quite ready for the three LotR books... try the BBC Radio4 audio production of Lord of the Rings. There is no better audio production than BBC's LotR, it's classic.

3. Thârr

Thârr Entramä Sarê

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for that info spar. There is so much stuff to do with LORD :p

4. Conquer

Conquer New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
  5. azuren82

azuren82 Berserk got banned...

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    If I remember correctly, Tolkien's intentions on the whole Middle Earth/Arda world was down to his very own desires to create a British/English mythology. I'm not too sure what you mean by doing the wrong things on the mythology end tho. imo the part on Aragorn becoming the authority would have been an accurate rendition on how far the humane paradox can go.

6. adamreal

adamreal Master Of Mind

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I've not read it yet and I am not sure that I will ever. All I got to know was in movies based on these novelettes, so I have lack of willingness to read it nowamonths. I've read a similiar novel called Hobbit and That one was gr8.

7. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +645 / 3 / -1
    The movies - whilst fantastic adaptations - changed a LOT of content and missed out a lot more. What P. Jackson and his team managed was to bring the feeling of the world of Middle Earth to life in the films - to really capture the heart of the story. However to get there and to fit it into only 3 films a lot of changes were made.

Most fans are actually ok with this, because whilst the changes were made most of them make a kind of sense in preserving aspects of the story. Furthermore many respect the fact that fitting Lord of the Rings into just 3 films is a mammoth task.

In general there is only one missing part which people complain about; and that is not present till the very end (and I won't spoil it for those who should be having their heads buried in books/e-readers reading the stories).

8. adamreal

adamreal Master Of Mind

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    hmm, ok so do it for those who are not supposed to have heads buried in the novel

9. Tommo

Tommo New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I nearly got the crap kicked out of me at a conventiona couple of years back for daring to state that the movies are better than the books.
    There's a lot of high minded opnion on Tolkien, and while he had a fantastic imagination he was really blood awful at conveying it.
    The Hobbit is wonderful, because he knew when to stop. the Lord of The Rings is simply put; a fabulous story, badly told. The Two Towers is the most mindnumbing book I've ever read! You spend half the novel getting the action, excitement and story that builds with well I'll not spoiler it, but its GOOD... and THEN the second half is the most dismal "round and round in circles" storytelling...
    I think I'm almost alone in being glad that the soul destroying "Tom Bombadil" section was left out of film 1.
    And the bit thats known as "The scouring"... had Tolkien just run out of ideas and realised he had a pile of paper left? I know what I'll bring "HIM" back!!!
    Great story, terrible books, Jackson is the better story teller!

10. Tommo

Tommo New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm not sure what you mean by Tolkiens "era", but the 1950's (when LOTR was written) produced LOTS of writers who were highly skilled in the crafting of character:
    Salingers Catcher In the Rye, Goldings Lord Of The Flies, Capotes Breakfast At Tiffanys, all 7 Narnia books, Bradburys Martian Chronicles, Burroughs, Clarke, Nabakov, Vonnegut, Assimov, and Hemingway were all turning out masterpieces of character driven literature "back then".

11. Sanctus91

Sanctus91 The Just

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I want to read the books and after i want to see the movies so yea i didn't saw them yet either

12. adamreal

adamreal Master Of Mind

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Stop having us on:)

13. azuren82

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    It's actually down to the fact that Tolkien was doing his world building more than anything else. In fact, LOTR wasn't the only thing Tolkien was capable of. Try reading The Children of Hurin. That will blow your mind away if we're talking abt characterizing.

14. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +645 / 3 / -1
    How much of Hurin is the father and how much the son? I know that Tolkien left a lot of extensive back-writing and notes on his world and that his son is somewhat putting them together, finishing bits and releasing them. From what I've heard he's doing better than many children who take on their parents writings (eg Pern is a bit weak; Dune is midrange from what I gather). I suspect a lot of it is that Tolkien was worldbuilding to the extreme - the dream that many writers have he made more reality with his notes (and further with his abilities - eg crafting a whole totally new language that wasn't just taking a real world dead language or changing letters around).

15. azuren82

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Well, if you're to ask me, I think his son was there to do the compilation more than anything else. Right from the bat, the character mechanism was there. Tolkien Sr has a very clear cut idea on where to carry the whole thing. At the end of the day, while I won't fault the fact that his son has been doing the minute details as well, Tolkien was actually the one who defined the whole thing. But I'll have to agree with you that compared to the rest during his time, Tolkien was far more obsessed with world building. Which is the exact reason why Sparrow said that his works are pretty much the ground zero to start from.