All your favourite music

Discussion in 'General Music' started by Indigo Orchid, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Indigo Orchid

Indigo Orchid Caveo Discipulo

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I know there are several threads for single musicians or genres, etc. But what is all the music you really totally very much like?

Here is what I like:

Genres: Musicals, Showtunes, Soundtracks, Classical Crossover, Classical, Opera, Celtic, Folk, Folk Rock, Classic Rock, World music, Swing, Gospel, some old pop, Jazz

Favourite musicals: Actually all Andrew Lloyd Webber musicals (especially CATS, The Phantom Of The Opera, The Beautiful Game, The Likes Of Us, Sunset Boulevard, all other musicals), all Disney musicals (even though I prefer the movies, my favourite is The Lion King), Anything Goes, A Chorus Line, Oliver!, The Sound Of Music, My Fair Lady, Annie, tons of other musicals

Favourite female singers: Alex Sharpe, Méav Ní Mhaolchatha, Hayley Westenra, Deirdre Shannon, Órlagh Fallon, every other Celtic Woman member, Anna O'Byrne, Claire Lyon, Camilla Kerslake, Siobhan Owen, Jackie Evancho, Sutton Foster, Helen Schneider, Barbra Streisand, Julie Andrews, Céline Dion, Kristin Chenoweth, Laura Wright (the singer), Loreena MacKennitt, Sarah Brightman (there is no real order towards the end, because they popped up in my mind like that)

Favourite male singers: Steve Barton, Elton John, Anythony Warlow, Meat Loaf, Lebo M, Michael McGlynn, Michael Crawford, Michael Ball, Andrea Bocelli, Joel Grey ;D, Kevin Tarte, Steve Winwood, Bryan Adams

Bands/musical groups/ensembles/duos/etc.: Celtic Woman, Anúna, The Mamas and the Papas, Simon and Garfunkel, Gregorian, Secret Garden, ABBA, The Muppets (yeah, they count...), Jonathan and Charlotte, All Angels (not to confuse with the No Angels)

Musical composers: Andrew Lloyd Webber, Leonard Bernstein, Cole Porter, Marvin Hamlisch, Richard Rogers, Stephen Sondheim

Other contemporary composers: Elton John, David Downes, Lebo M, Richard & Robert Sherman, Michael McGlynn, Brendan Graham, Ennio Morricone, Vladimir Vavilov, Hans Zimmer, Jim Steinman, Enya, Barbra Streisand

Classical composers: Pjotr Iljitsch Tschaikowski, Giacomo Puccini, Antonio Vivaldi, Edvard Grieg, Georg Friedrich Händel, Ludwig van Beethoven

I hope I didn't forget someone. Who are your favourite musicians?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  2. JNC

JNC New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My favorite music in general: Rhapsody of Fire, Metallica, Dream Theater, Manowar, Rush, Stratovarius, Angra, Pink Floyd, Theocracy, Death Angel, Mago de Oz, Blind Guardian, Helloween,
    Yngwie Malsmteem, Edguy, Tierra Santa, Hammerfall, Iced Earth, Primal Fear, Stryper, Andy Timmons, Yoko Kanno, Rata Blanca, Skillet, Sonata Arctica, Neil Zaza, Chaska, Avalanch, Nightmare, ... there's just too many great bands and musicians out there.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  3. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    Most of those bands I don't know very well... but how could you ever include Stryper!?
    They're an Orange County band, where I grew up, and oh my were they ever bad! Forget the fact they were a Christian Heavy Metal band, and it was the strangest most disconcerting concert I've ever been to (saw them live at Irvine Meadows, many, MANY years ago), it was that the fans were so ridiculous to think God rocks out.
    I took my little sister's best friend to the concert... she was 18 or 19, which means I was 26 or 27, after the show we snorted coke and got shitface drunk. I like to think God was looking down at us and saying, "yeah, I don't blame you guys, that was one seriously bad concert".:eek:

4. JNC

JNC New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Most people I know do not like Stryper, but then again most people do not like metal, folk music, punk rock, etc., and that is okay, it just comes down to preferences - I am sure very few people would feel comfortable at a Stryper concert, so I get your point. I like metal, and I am aware that most metal-heads dislike Stryper, and there are reasons for that (yours is a valid one). I still find them cool, though, and I have learned to respect people's musical tastes - people listen to all sort of weird stuff these days, and I am certainly one of them. Yet the thread was about our favorite bands, so I wonder if we are a little off-topic right now.

5. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    Ex's & Oh's, by Elle King

6. JNC

JNC New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hahahaha! Is that so?
    Nippon Manju, by Lady Baby

7. Kelmourne

Kelmourne The Savage Hippy

A Pirate city in international cyberspace
    Ratings:
    +114 / 0 / -0
    My favourite scene is definitely Desert Rock. Basically around 1985 people in Palm Desert California were having parties in the Desert with gas generator powered live music, usually punk or rock music (though sometimes jazz, metal, industrial, and more). Eventually they started to develop a distinctive sound that blends elements of punk, rock, and metal, with some chill surf / psychedelic rock vibes added in sometimes. Lots of improvised jamming while playing live as well.

Notable bands:
    -Across the River
    -Yawning Man
    -Kyuss
    -Queens of the Stone Age (only up to Songs for the Deaf, after that they're still great but not really Desert Rock)
    -Fatso Jetson
    -Ten East
    -Earthlings?
    -Desert Sessions

8. Midnattblod

Midnattblod Ranger of Shadow

Ratings:
    +519 / 3 / -0
    Honestly I could write a book listing all the bands and musicians I enjoy listening to. Um I guess I'll just name a few from the different genres I like lol.

Here goes:
    Mudvayne
    Pantera
    Lamb of God
    Children of Body
    Myrkskog
    Static-X
    Tool
    Scandal (a Japanese pop/rock group)
    Baby Metal
    Slayer
    Dimmu Borgir