Aliens

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Harrison, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    no, my guess is that the people when they named this planet were just stupid or not very creative lol

2. Enchantment of Rose

Enchantment of Rose Mother of the Wood

USA (i heart u) If I told you more I'd have to kil
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    to make it plain i don't think aliens exist. i love signs though. but in the bible it says we are the aliens.

3. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    we are the aliens? okaaaay...but to think we are alone in this universe(s) is like I said so many times before arrogant and naive...just my opinion...

4. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0

well its not really a question of creativity, and i dont think one person named it, it was a generally conceived title from the words we use to describe the ground and land etc. earth is a description as a name. which isnt neccesarily uncreative.

5. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Why dont you think aliens exist?

If you use logic, then there is life out there.

Look, there are an estimate of 500 000 000 000 stars in our galaxy...... That we know of now. say that 1% of those have the right conditions for life, water, right gases in the air, temperature etc. Then out of 1% there will be 5 000 000 000 planets with life on it....

Now there are, that we know of around 125 000 000 000 000 galaxies. All different sizes but we'll just say they are all the same size as ours, even though ours is relavively small. That would mean, using the calculation before that there are around 625 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 planets in the universe capable of holding life.......

Use your common sense.

But hell, lets do it again, make that there's practically no chance of life, let's say that 0.0001% of the stars in our galaxy are capable of holding life. This is actually much smaller than it should be, but still lets see. If 0.0001% of the stars in our galaxy could hold life, there would be 500 000 of them....

Meaning in the universe there would be, as a bare minimum, 625 000 000 000 000 000 00 planets with life on them. And thats for the full scale, planets with merely bacteria, planets with small creatures, dinosaur like creatures, species of our level of intelligence, and of course the more advanced than us..... Which there will be.

This isnt like the question of god, with god, you cant use logic to come to the conclusion of there being one, but with this you can.

The idea that we are alone, is just plain naive. And lacks logical conclusions. Just look at what I just provided. And those statistics are MORE than fiar, but even still, you could subtract the chances again and again, and you are still going to come up with a stagerring result.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2006
  6. Alchemist

Alchemist The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    I do think there is other life out there. Just because the Bible doesnt talk about life on other planets doesnt mean there isnt. There is alot today thats going on that is not in the Bible.
    Who's to say that God has not done the same somewhere else as is done here.

If in all the universe this is all the life there is, then as stated before thats "an awful lot of wasted space."

7. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Yeah thats a line from Contact isnt it? But yeah its very true. Alot of wasted space if there's nothing there but suns, rocks and a whole lot of gases...

8. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    still if it is wasted space, when we get out there into the universe we can screw around all we want! rock on! free planet for everyone! black hole golf anyone? :D

lol

9. Lord_Croanan

Lord_Croanan King and Conquerer

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I belive in life on other planets, I've seen similar statistics that Padme showed, and its kinda of hard to argue against that unless you just like being stubborn. Now, what I'm afraid of is what would happen if we humans met these aliens. As much as I want to imagine we'd hold hands and be a nice big happy family, I keep having flashbacks to the movies I watched on the Spainish and Aztecs.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Harbringer

Harbringer New Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    This is great video that shows just how big our galaxy is.. and now its stupid to think that we are the only ones out there..

11. warrior_squirrel21

warrior_squirrel21 blue is my favorite color

Ratings:
    +132 / 0 / -0
    Hey Foo, I Already Made This Thread!!!!!!!!

12. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    you mean on polls? Well this thread was created almost 3 years before yours!

13. warrior_squirrel21

warrior_squirrel21 blue is my favorite color

Ratings:
    +132 / 0 / -0
    Ya gotta point.........so this means..........im the foo?...............ya ya thats it.........ok bye.

14. Blackness

Blackness Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    bye...

I think aliens exists... i would even say I KNOW but that would be a little disturbing :D
    Padme already wrote the arguments which beat all :p

15. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    May I ask what the significance of the knowledge/believe aliens exist is?

I mean, assuming we can dismiss the Holywood theories about aliens and them trying to contact and/or destroy us, what remains? Yes, we're not the only ones in the unverse, but we might as well be, because we're pretty isolated. The chance of actually making contact is incredibly small due to the very nature of the unverse. Size, time and chance reduce that possibility to almost zero - let alone going there, or them coming here.

I just concider life in other regions of the universe one of those quantum-mechanical certainties of which the universe is packed. Curiosity to these life forms is no more then that, as there's no chance to explore - the rest is speculation and fiction.

Ow, one of my former coleagues was an Iranian; he was an alien. See, they exist :p

16. volksmenner

volksmenner practitioner of æsthetics

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    this is a relative truth from the perspective of humankind. space and time are both relative. 1000 years ago 100 km was a considerable distance. 100 years ago 1000km was a considerable distance.

it is of great significance knowing if aliens exist. just the same as sir francis bacon realised the significance of one day colonising the new world. the evolution of culture and knowledge of humankind rests upon the challenge of new frontiers. the significance specifically of knowing about aliens is a zygote of inspiration upon which future generations may grow upon. there exists in the depths of the cosmos something foremost to any and all philosophers...knowledge and something inherent to all children who one day become idealists...wonderment.

17. Blackness

Blackness Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0

It doesn't really matter if we can reach them, all that matters at first is that they exist, even if they are out of our reach.

And as rvsp said, distance is relative...

And sometimes even the things that have no visible importance mean a lot...
    If we discover that we are not alone... or better to say WHEN we discover that, that will be the greatest disovery in mankind's history... except mabye the WHEEL :D :D

18. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    aliens beat the wheel anyday, the wheel is convenience, the existence of aliens is a earth-shaking event.

19. Rock Mouth

Rock Mouth Speaker for the People

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Okay, think about it. If the earth was to lose all life.(which it will for sure in 6000000000 years) the whole universe wouild hold nothing. If there is no other life in Sol, there is some life in other parts of the galexy. If not, there are trillions... mabye more of galexys that could very well hold life.

20. Hatter Madigan

Hatter Madigan Mad Hatter Madigan

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    The difference of atmospheric pressure on his planet will be different than an alien's.

He will either implode like a crushed coke can, or bust inside out like a hotdog in a microwave.

Communication and the "language" gap will be so great, we would never get along.

Then there is the fermi paradox
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox
    It explains the "Rare Earth" scenerio, the too alien scenerio, and violent evolution theory.

Aliens would be a scary scenerio....
    I am glad we haven't found them yet, even if they were peaceful... I would fear for them meeting us (the most wretched creatures on this planet).