Alice in Wonderland

Discussion in 'General Movies' started by Sevi, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +198 / 1 / -0
    Overall - unimpressed. Some good bits do not a good movie make.

Alice - fine, no complaints. Perhaps a bit flat, but she can only say the lines she's been given.
    Anne Hathaway's White Queen was funny, she's quite gifted comically.
    Effects and the world created - disappointing lack of imagination. I expected Tim Burton and 3D to really blow my mind (or at least my eyeballs) but it was all kind of meh.
    Cheshire Cat - very good. Nice effect, very good.
    Story - the told us at the start, how it would end, and it threw up zero surprises along the way so really - what's the point??? It's like a trailer that shows all the best scenes in a movie. Only worse.

I'm glad I used free tickets.

2. cecilkain

cecilkain New Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Loved Anne Hathaway in this, I just wish she was in more of it! She was very funny in it and loved all of her movements. You could tell they were very deliberate, trying to be very Princess like!

3. Sïalla

Sïalla New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    3D - yeah it was my first time seeing a movie in 3d and though the same thins :/
    Story - yeah I was a bit dissapointed about some things :( Through the whole movie I kept thinks 'it just can't be like this. It's too obvious so they probably are going to came up with a super-fantastic-awesome-unexpected twist of events xD but no...
    Cheshire Cat - can't believe I forgot to mencion him in my previous post O.O the one from disney's animated film was a bit creepy but this one was awesome xD and really liked the whole vanishing effect

4. Mububban

Ratings:
    +198 / 1 / -0
    Avatar's 3D was done while filming using special cameras. Apparently AIW's 3D was done in post-production. I found it blurry and hard to focus when objects came close to front of screen. I also thought it was more like layered cardboard cutouts, rather than Avatar's smooth depth progression. Perhaps being based on a book, they wanted that whole "layered stage set" sort of effect. Either way, Avatar's 3D made me think "Wow, this is the future of cinema!" whereas AIW's 3D made me think "Ugh, this is why nobody bothered with 3D before Avatar."

5. Blackness

Blackness Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    Dunno I loved Alice, much more than Avatar.
    Hathaway was uber girlishly cute <3

6. Mububban

Ratings:
    +198 / 1 / -0
    I did love her pirouhette (sp?) just to look through the telescope she's standing right next to :D

But that for me is an example of why i think the movie failed. It had some good parts, vaguely strung together, but was on overall disappointment.

7. cecilkain

cecilkain New Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    That's funny you bring up her pirouhettes, when we got out of the movies, my friend kept doing it. It was clearly her favorite part. Like I said, loved Anne, so glad she was in the film!

8. cecilkain

cecilkain New Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Excuse the double post, but just saw that Apple put up another clip from the film. It's where Alice is in Wonderland and is discovered by Tweedledee and Tweedledum. I'm still amazed at how much color Burton was able to incorporate in to each scene.

9. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    I agree with your review Mub... I found it unimpressive overall, although there were a few good things about it. Some things I can forgive, but the plot was waaaay too predictable.

***SPOILER***

Also, I hated the ending. Alice goes into the business world? I don't buy it.

10. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    I actually liked the movie, probably because I never pay attention to any hype and therefore had no expectations of it prior to walking into the theater. That plus I've never actually seen a Tim Burton film, so it wasn't like "been there done that" when I saw it.

Then again, I'm pretty forgiving when it comes to rating movies I like; 95% of everything I watch is entertaining ( is a prime example, although in my defense it was my roommates that picked it out, and if you've had enough strawberry daquiris, everything is hilarious after a while), although the movies I term "good" are few and far between.

11. cecilkain

cecilkain New Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Wow, first Tim Burton movie? What did you think? He's definitely an imaginative and gifted storyteller. I suggest Big Fish, it's another whimsical film that's creative and entertaining.

I'm interested to see what sort of bonus features the DVD will have. I know I'm going to love all the behind the scenes stuff about how they actually created and filmed Wonderland.

12. Aravona

Aravona l.u.n.e

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Ahh i saw this film in 3D and loved it. I'm a big Tim Burton / Johnny Depp fan, this goes high on my list alongside Sleepy Hollow, Charlie and the Chocolate factory and POTC for Depp films.

As for Tim Burton, could he have had more fun making a dark story even darker? Loved it.

13. Mem

Mem Mosh Warrior

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    i loved how burton made this film darker than it usually is. and ofc i loved johnny <3

14. cecilkain

cecilkain New Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Agreed, I too liked what Burton did as the director of the movie, giving it a bit more darker feel. They put up a new clip online, if anyone wanted to to take a stroll down memory lane, Depp looks especially crazy in the clip.

15. Black Tattoo

Black Tattoo The Corruptor

Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for sharing that clip, Ceceilkain. The Mad Hatter DOES look especially...er, well, mad. :D I can hardly wait for this to come out on dvd!

Not only has it come out, but I've gotten to see it and WOW! AWESOME film! I loved this from beginning to end! The characters, the atmosphere....the entire world Burton created from Lewis Carroll's works was AMAZING! I especially loved the moat scene when Iracibeth is talking to Stayne, questioning whether it's better to be loved or to be feared. Very creative! - LOL

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  16. mysteriousuniqueen

mysteriousuniqueen Myst for short

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i'd watch alice in wonderland but it looks too creepy (esecially the red queen) from what i've seen on the trailers. if i did watch it, my kids would have to be a lot older than they are. could scare them, especially my youngest. always did like alice in wonderland tho. (btw, i played alice in a play i did in elementary school.)

17. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    It's a really good film, but it actually talks about Alice back in Wonderland. The Jabberwocky is in it, with the voice of Christopher Lee; everybody must see it!

18. rosa

rosa New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    It's not really that scarry for kids. But it all depends on the kid, i got 3 little niece, they are 6, 5 and 3. The oldest enjoyed it, the middle one was scared of the mad hatter and the youngest one like it and even wanted to watch it a second time. So i guess you are the one who knows better your kids and know who would they react.

19. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    My brother - 8 - was a little scared of it, but he's scared of learning to ride a bike on soft grass when we're holding him and things like that.

20. Black Tattoo

Black Tattoo The Corruptor

Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    I agree. Every kid is different.

Over all though, I think the movie was wicked brilliant! :D

Search tags for this page

manniquene