Alcohol

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Mububban, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Formatting fail!!! I'll fix it later :D]/i]

I wanted to start a discussion on alcohol and its effects, on each of us personally and on the societies we each live in.

Due to an inherited allergy to alcohol, combined with medication that meant cutting out alcohol entirely, I've been totally 100% alcohol free since I was

about 21. Prior to then, I was a normal Aussie. And that means, we start while underage, and usually only drink alcohol to get totally smashed. Aussies

under say 40 dont' seem capable of enjoying a glass or two of wine with dinner. If they're out, and they're drinking, it's gonna get messy.
    My mates and I, supplied by older siblings, started at around age 15 (legal age is 18) drinking straight spirits from the bottle. Wow, what a feeling, so

funny, so enjoyable, so hilarious watching us all stagger about and act like idiots. In some ways I really do miss that stupid-fun element of drinking.

But as much as I would drink like the next guy, I never enjoyed the taste of alcohol. No matter what it was - beer, wine, spirits, mixers, liquers - the

taste of the alcohol itself would lways ruin the nice chocolatey taste, or the nice fruity or whatever taste. I found myself wishing I was drinking a

choc-milk rather than a Baileys, or a Coke instead of a scotch and Coke. But like a good Aussie, I just kept drinking anyway.

So when I had to stop for a whole year due to medication, my body detoxed completely. My friends loved it as they always had a designated driver :)

And I felt good knowing my mates and I would get home safely.
    My inherited allergy seems to have amplified in this time, so when I came off the meds and immediately tried to get back into drinking, the allergic

reaction just made it not fun any more. So I stopped, cold turkey, and have never had another drink. Can't say I want to either.

In AUstralia, if you say you don't drink, people just don't get it. It is a truly baffling statement. Common responses I've received when offered a drink

and I say "No thanks" include:
    - "Are you driving?"
    - if I was offered a beer, they'll ask "Oh, do you want a scotch or something?"
    - *blank quizzical look of incomprehension, as if I'd just spoken a foreign language*
    - "what the ****'s wrong with you?"
    - and my all time favourite - "are you gay or something?"

This article sums up what it's like to stop drinking, especially in a booze-soaked place like Australia:

In Australia, drinking is automatically assumed. Our society is built around it. Every social occasion has alcohol. Every weekend without fail, our

police stations, hospitals and morgues fill up as a result of alcohol. Alcohol addicition ruins lives and families. And if non-medical alcohol as a

drinkable consumer substance was discovered today, it would probably be illegal.

In the 10+ years since I've stopped drinking, I've saved thousands of dollars that I've been able to put into other avenues of having fun. I don't have to

spend half my precious weekends lying in bed recovering.
    I've also found out after the fact that I was not invited to gatherings with friends at a pub for example, assumedly because I could not possibly enjoy the

company of my mates whilst only drinking water or Coke.

For anyone interested, this is the alcohol-free blogging site refered to in the article: http://hellosundaymorning.com.au

I'd love to hear about how your country's views drinking and drunkenness. How it's affected you personally, how you've seen it affect those around you.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  2. JIM

JIM zombie Turncoat

Ratings:
    +327 / 1 / -0
    well, im Aussie and a heavy drinker. i'm the guy at the pool table getting my butt kicked, or propping up the bar.
    not a huge fan of spirits, i like beer

3. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    hmmm - sorry m8, you can't be allergic to alcohol :p

I'd say it's pretty much accepted here to abstain from alcohol. It does get you a few frowns in the college years - but beyond that, it's not too bad. Of course there's jesting between friends, such as there always is with friends in party situations. But that's something you'll have to be able to deal with anyway.

That being said, however, I like my beers once every so often ^^

4. Tabris

Tabris 11.11.11

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I had my binge as most people in my early 20s, partying and going out. I don't do that much anymore, but now I just enjoy a beer or a glass of whisky when I feel like it. I like the taste, and to me it's like enjoying chocolate, a good meal or anything else that I like. As with anything, use moderation and common sense.

5. JIM

JIM zombie Turncoat

Ratings:
    +327 / 1 / -0
    thats my issue, as with many things i have difficulty stopping. a few cold ones ends up 18 beers :p

6. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Call it what you will, the half of me that is asian feels like shite if I touch alcohol nowadays so I just couldn't be bothered doing it any more

7. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Except that it's not acetic acid - but acetaldehyde. It's the stuff of headaches and barf on your pillow.

... not that asians get away from it; other enzymes take over. Just... not as efficient as alcohol dehydrogenase.

Alcohol "allergy" is more like lactose intolerance, in which another enzyme is missing (lactase or galactosidase or something). It's not really possible to be allergic to alcohol; the molecule is simply too small.

Anyway. The alcohol intollerance doesn't stop millions of asians binging. It does come with some downsides - but you need a lot less alcohol to get a tingle in the brain^^

8. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Well I started to take heavy medication at a very young age, so I have often avoided it as the plague. I was even slight afraid of alcohol, but I learned that I could drink it to a limit. Still it didn't become a habit. Pills or not, I just don't like beer. I just don't like the taste of it. On special occasions I'll have a bit of wine of champagne, but nothing heavier than that. Nobody has ever asked me questions about why I don't drink. I was never teased about it. I just drank frosted drinks, mainly Cola.

9. Kelmourne

Kelmourne The Savage Hippy

A Pirate city in international cyberspace
    Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    Not drinking in Australia, now that takes will power :D

I usually drink only a beer or two once or twice a week or so, but about every 2 months I'll get properly drunk. I find it's alot easier to stomach when you've got some food in your belly, fish and chips being my all time favourite drinking food.

10. Ser Land

Ser Land New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I drink alcoholic drinks every once in a while. But I never get drunk. Only thoroughly sleepy.

11. Julie

Julie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    I like drinking until I'm tipsy but I don't like being drunk. I get black-outs when I drink too much.
    I guess it's pretty much the same here as in Holland, when you order something non-alcoholic when going out, sometimes people tease you, and in general, it seems that people like it better when you order something alcoholic.