Alan Rickman to provide voice for Hitchhiker's Guide

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Arwen, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Arwen

Arwen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    This sounds promising!
    ----------------------------------------
    Garth Jennings has just confirmed two amazing bits of casting in a mini-interview on BBC Radio 1. The voice of Marvin will be Alan Rickman and Bill Bailey will play the whale in the new movie version of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Alan Rickman is a highly regarded actor whose notable recent movies have included Dogma (directed by Hitchhiker's Guide fan Kevin Smith), Galaxy Quest (alongside Sam Rockwell) and the Harry Potter films. Garth did say that Rickman's contract wasn't signed yet but this interview was almost certainly taped befire Christmas and it would not have gone out if Rickman wasn't locked down for the role.

Bill Bailey will be well-known to British comedy fans through his role in the award-winning sitcom Black Books and his position as a team captain on the game show Never Mind the Buzzcocks, though he is less well-known outside the UK. He has a reputation as a big science fiction fan and does a remarkable Klingon impression

http://www.wizardnews.com/story.20050107.html

2. kartaron

kartaron Hunter / Gatherer

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Stephen Fry will be playing the voice of The Guide, which is a pretty major role in the film. It’s deeply appropriate, because Fry was a close friend of Adams, and said one of the most astute things I’ve ever heard someone say in trying to sum up the popularity of these books:

“Douglas has in common with certain rare artists... the ability to make the beholder feel that he is addressing them and them alone; I think this in part explains the immense strength and fervor of the fan base.”

AICN

3. Arwen

Arwen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    Are you a "hoopy frood" who really knows where your towel is? Have you ever made your own Sub-Etha Sens-O-Matic out of cardboard in an attempt to hitchhike to another planet? Do you have the answer to Life, The Universe, and Everything tattooed on your body? Do you ever pretend your car is powered by the Infinite Improbability Drive? Have you ever shoved a goldfish in your ear in an attempt to understand French? If you answered yes to these questions then we are looking for you!

Today is a day to reflect on "The Answer" provided by Deep Thought and to celebrate just how much of a Hitchhiker's fan you really are. We are looking for a few (6 actually - again 4 + 2) of the BIGGEST HITCHHIKER'S FANS IN THE GALAXY. Tell us why you became a fan and how you live your life in accordance with the most remarkable book ever to come out of the great publishing houses of Ursa Minor. Entries must be 250 words or less and can be accompanied by a photo documenting the degree of your "hoopiness."

Right now you are asking yourself, "Isn't being a Hitchhiker's fan a reward in itself? Why enter such a contest?" As Zaphod Beeblebrox once explained, "It's partly the curiosity, partly a sense of adventure, but mostly I think it's the fame..." That's right - be the envy of every Hitchhiker's fan when your detailed fan profile appears on the official site for The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie.

So enter to win now - all entries must be in by February 25th. For official rules, visit the display department at your local planning office (and bring a flashlight). Email all entries to 42Fans@gmail.com. Entries must also include your: Name, Age, City, Email Address.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news05/050214g.php

4. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    As an english person i fully understand some of the choices in voice casting. Alan Rickman, you dont need to be english at all to know he has a great voice, and its JUSt the perfect tone to do a dull monotonose tone of a depressed android. A casting akin to ian holme as bilbo in my opinion.
    Bill bailey, although he gets a small part as the whale, let me tell you now, he is perfect for it, hes a great comedian and pretty zany in the american sense, black books is a great programme, but theres also spaced, in which he is a comic book store owner who is a complete sci-fi geek, so he must be ideal for the role, and his voice is perfect too.

And dont forget martin freeman, thsoe of you who havent watched bbc america wont know how funny he is in the office, a great character who would make a great arthur dent, my only though was that he should be a little taller, but its no problem.

Then theres the americans, Ford Prefect, i dont mind the change from my original visiualisation from the character, if fact, i like it, im trusting mos def to do a good job and from the trailer, it looks fine. Also Sam Rockwell as zaphod, a great choice, rockwell is a good actor and he can handle the role, i cant wait to see this film.