Addictions

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by darkfox, Jul 2, 2009.

1. darkfox

darkfox New Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I've always been curious about addictions. It can be a slippery slope where you try something (alcohol, drugs, jumping out of a perfectly good airplane) and it brings on a euphoria that's hard to beat. But then you get used to that 'high' and it becomes normal, so you move onto something bigger and so on until you need that addiction satisfied so you just feel normal.

What LEADS a person to that end though? Is it boredom, disappointment, pain, peer pressure or what? Maybe having never actually been an addict I can't understand, but I'd be interested in everyone's opinions on it none the less.

Also, why are drugs and alcohol "bad addictions" while bungee jumping and hiking for hours "good addictions"?

2. Blackness

Blackness Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    Boredom for me.
    You just get familiar with certain states of mind, so staying out of them for prolonged periods of times becomes... boring :p
    Also, there's no need to move 'onto something bigger'. If you're not curious about a substance/action beforehand, then you're not going to take it, unless you're a junkie just wanting to get ****ed up on whatever comes your way, but that variety of people is relatively rare.
    Peer pressure is overrated imo, sure, you may TRY something because your friends push you into it, but become addicted? That was your own dumb self.

3. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Well my Dad is a recovering alcoholic, he is clean now, for how long I don't know. That is the big problem with being alcoholic as you are never cured, you are one for the rest of your life and even if you have been clean for years you can still get tempted and once re-hooked it takes a lot and I mean a lot to get them off it. I tried for years to get him to stop but there is nothing anyone can do, an alcoholic stops when they want to stop. You can throw the alcohol away and they get more, you can try and keep tabs on them, but it doesn't work, they are very clever and sneaky when it comes to hiding it and the sad thing is, they do it well.

When you are an alcoholic your personality and your life changes for the worse. When my Dad is clean he is nice and pleasant, he is extremely intelligent and caring, with a good head on his shoulders who see's logic. But as soon as he starts drinking again he completely changes, the logic is gone and all he thinks about is where the next drink is coming from, he gets defensive, irrational and confused, when he is like that I refuse to talk to him or even be near him, he lies and he says anything you want to hear, once he is into the addiction again he'll soon want to stop but is unable to do so, the drink takes over and nothing you do can stop him, until one day things takes its toll on him and he collapses or goes crazy and needs to be taken to hospital, those are wake up calls for him and he'll snap back to reality and stop.

The reason why Alcoholism is so bad is due to the fact that it is so dangerous not just for the alcoholic but for the people around them, if they decide to get behind the wheel of a car the results could be disastrous. It is a horrible situation to be in, but when you are you just have to leave them to it, and try and live your life as much as you can and let them be. I've spoken with my Dad about why he does it and he can't find an explanation, he has Scoliosis which maybe a factor, but it is so hard to pin point why it happens, but I do know that the addiction makes you forget problems and you become reliant on it, you begin to crave it and so does your body and so when it is taken away it reacts badly (Cold Turkey).

4. darkfox

darkfox New Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    That's actually the reason I asked. The wifes great-uncle has been a boozer for going on 20 years. Now it's getting worse because he's retired and has more time to booze and his wife is in and out of the hospital with various old age issues. But he's taken to hiding things like a squirrel which would be funny (and is because I'm sick that way) if it wasn't so sad. I was going to say pathetic but that seems pretty heartless, even for me.

There was a period in my life when stress controlled it and I used to have 2-3 beers every night. But eventually I got another job and the stress went away and so did my need to unwind. Not sure if that's exactly alcoholism, but that's really a question that others would probably like to answer.

5. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    People do turn to alcohol every now and then, but when you are an addict you become 100% engrossed with it, you are drunk 24/7.

And yes it is pathetic, the sad thing is Alcohol makes everything worse, no good comes from it, it just gets worse and worse until they either die or are left without a penny to their name or anyone left in the world that loves them, they lose their entire life. It is a disease, one which is sadly more common.

6. Blackness

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    Not really.
    I believe it's necessary for some people to hit rock bottom.
    They won't change any other way.

7. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    That is true, but they have to reach it by themselves its very hard to force them to stop.

8. Blackness

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    We don't have the right to force them anyway.

9. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    No we don't, and I gave up trying, but it is very hard to watch someone slowly destroy themselves the easy option is to give up on them, but it is so hard to do so.

10. darkfox

darkfox New Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    That's the other problem. Human instinct is to help in that situation, but in reality that only makes things worse. Like giving a gambler a dollar.

11. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Exactly, so I choose not to get involved, although I have in the past put the alcohol down the drain.

12. darkfox

darkfox New Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    ....I'm sure that's some sort of blasphemy.

13. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    It got very hard at times, you see someone who you're meant to look up to and someone who is meant to be there for you and be the father figure and to see them not do that and be a complete wreck it effects you, I mean we would have so many fights, and I mean fist fights over things.

14. darkfox

darkfox New Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    So there seems to be a consensus, and the next question becomes;

Is it right for producers to profit from these people?

By that I mean things like Celeb Fit Club, Intervention, and other similar shows. As amusing as they are, surely there are better things to go on TV. Maybe not.

15. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    If it helps them then do it.

16. darkfox

darkfox New Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Typically those shows only target really over the top addicts though. I'm not sure if it's helping or hindering anyone except the producers.

17. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Well the person agrees to go on it, so they are just as bad.

18. darkfox

darkfox New Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Addicted to attention? lol

19. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    I don't know, maybe, I know in my Dads case he doesn't want attention.

20. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    I tried pot when I was a teenager, but it didn't do much for me, stunk, and I was too much of a tightarse to pay for it regularly :)
    I'm also honest enough to admit that if I tried a hard drug then chances are I'd get addicted, rather than be able to control myself and be a casual user. So I tried alcohol and the"soft" option of marijuana, but never anything worse.

I tried alcohol because it's socially acceptable, even expected (especially in Australia) and I was curious. I tried pot because my mates wanted to try it so it was part curiosity, part teenaged experimentation, part communal peer pressure, part thinking my mate's older stoner brother was cool at the time.

I don't hear of people prostituting themselves or stealing to support their climbing chalk habit :D I guess the time spent on addiction to exercise could be selfish if you have a family (it's why I'm unfit compared to when I was childless). However alcoholism, gambling, drugs - these addicts use family money to feed their addiction, and steal from family and friends or strangers.

My friend's dad is an alcoholic. 10am on her wedding day as she's getting ready, he's drinking from a beer jug and already drunk. The poor girl was so embarassed as he slurred his way trying to read off a page for speeches. Talk about awkward. The groom looked like he wanted to kill his new father in law.

That's one really sad thing about addiciton. It's so strong that you can't even try and survive one day without your substance, even for something like your youngest child's wedding day.