About Guilds and How to Apply for One

Discussion in 'TFF House Discussions' started by Boomer, Oct 4, 2003.

1. Boomer

Boomer BANNED

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I have been thinking very long and very very hard about this issue. And I have been trying to figure out a way to bring Guilds back to the boards but in a way that makes us more of a community. And I have come up with a way. Since we are a Fantasy Forum now. And not so much all about LoTR but many other things as well I figure Guilds might be a good place/thing to have. People like feeling a sense of belonging to something at a site/group, social event, or whatever else you can think of. It makes people more active as far as a community goes for them to be able to go somewhere and post somewhere with a group of people rather than a lot of people. If that makes any sense whatsoever. So here we go. Here is some information for you to absorb about Guilds and figure out if it is something you want to do.

House Information:
    Rules:
    - House are not for Spamming. We have a spam forum for those reasons.
    - Anyone is allowed to post in a House regardless if they are a supporting member or not.
    - If a House become inactive for more than 1 week it will be removed until the House Leader gets in touch with me(Boomerang).
    - I(Boomerang) will be in charge of every House. As such if something is objectionable I will take care of it by any means necessary.
    - House must abide by forum rules. They are not I repeat NOT exempt from any rules.

How to get a House:
    - You must have over 150 posts. Why this high number? We only want active members to have Houses not inactive members.
    - Your 150 posts must be of half way decent quality and they will be checked in a random way.
    - Houses can be about anything you wish to have them be about.
    - If you feel you have what it takes to run your own House PM me and let me know what you want your House name to be as well as a reason why you want your guild and what you think it can bring to TFF. All of these things must be in the PM. If they are not it will be deleted and you will not be notified about it.
    - Please give me at least 48 hours to get back to you about your House. It must be approved by Khamul, Asgath and myself before being added to the boards.

I am taking a big leap of faith here in bringing them back to the boards as we were one of the first forums to have them way back when we were LoTR Online. So I am hoping people understand now why I am bringing them back and that we want these to succeed this time. Guilds are also going to be called Houses this time around. No more name Guilds. Houses is it.
    Thanks and welcome them back!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2003
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Asgath

Asgath Heavy-metal dwarf

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Any help possible I will give Boom, I havnt done much recently...been playing to much Enemy Territory:rolleyes:

3. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    thats the best new I've heard all day!!! thanks Boom!!!

4. Boomer

Boomer BANNED

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    no problem.

5. Doyler

Doyler King of Dragons

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hmmmm....intersting. Houses huh!? I like it!

6. Boomer

Boomer BANNED

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Yeah we like the idea. Houses sound more sophisticated anyways.

7. finrod

finrod Born to woe.

Trapped in my own dungeon together with a smelly h
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think it's a really nice idea, it brings the we-band-of-brothers feeling to the members of this forum and I'm sure it makes people even more comfortable when they know that they are a part of something where they are known and appreciated, it's human nature. I for one would love to be a member of a house or even be a leader eventually. You have my blessings.

8. Boomer

Boomer BANNED

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Well so far noone has stepped forward with a submittal. We shall see! Thanks for the comments though!

9. Khamul

Khamul Roaming

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Well, just keep posting, and you will be one, Finrod. :)

10. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    hmmm sounds interesting boom, i still remeber the big rant you made about why you were abolishing guilds, i suppose it doesnt count now that theyre called "houses" but it sounds better.

11. Boomer

Boomer BANNED

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    There is a huge difference between what these are aimed at and what guilds were aimed at. These are to be intellectual places or groups.

12. Khamul

Khamul Roaming

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Places where you can get your work judged and commented on. For example, if you write essays, you would go to the essay or writer's house and have your stuff commented on. I think it's a great way for everyone to get better in what they do. :)

13. Boomer

Boomer BANNED

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Exactly. Think of them as a group of people really good at what they do/know and they help others in that area.

14. Gandamír Bagleaf

Gandamír Bagleaf Music House Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The Houses are COOL

15. Glorfy_of_Imladris

Glorfy_of_Imladris Mysterious Glorfy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have to say, it sounds cool :D I really liked the old Guilds, so I'm glad they came back, although in another shape. Thank you, Boom :)

16. Boomer

Boomer BANNED

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    No problem. As long as you realize they are not a place for spam and things like a lot of the older guilds were like.

17. Headbumpa

Headbumpa New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Intellectual? Aaawh! That counts me out :p

I'm happy the requirements are a tiny bit more lenient then guilds are, but I don't see why the guilds themselves didn't launch off all too well! I have a theory myself, but I'd like to know how all you guys think about it.

Boomerang. I think you're making the same mistake here as you did with the guilds: You want to be in charge of everything. I quote: "I (Boomerang) will be in charge of every house." BIG flaw! You just can't be in charge of everything! In the guilds as well! You make everyone have at least 500 posts before being ABLE to make a guild, you have decided yourself that there can only be ONE leader, and you have made up other rules I think you deem neccesary for your guilds! Why all the rules?

Why don't you just let the forum members lose? Don't you trust them enough? Don't you think they have what it takes to lead a guild? I think you really overdid it all... If you'd just ditch all the rules, and make new ones ONLY, and I repeat ONLY effecting the things like breaking Forum Rules (not the Guild Restrictions you made yourself), many more guilds would be created and the guild section would gain life again! The very thing you made this piece of Forum for!

IF things would run out of hand ANYWAY, you as the Forum Moderator of that section can always jump in between things and delete a guild!

All this text comes down to this: Losen up on the rules! It doesn't just restrict people from doing (in your eyes) 'wrong things', it also restricts people from having fun in the guild/house things!

If you are still able to change the requirements, please do so as soon as possible? If you wish to do so that is... If not, please tell me why, okay!

Goodbye for now.
    We will speak again (I hope)!

18. Skyanide

Skyanide The Big Meanie Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Boom doesn't live here any more.

Don't plan on the changes you propose.

If you don't like the rules here, the exit is next to the "Log Off" button.

Be sure to leave a note in the comment box.

19. Headbumpa

Headbumpa New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Utters a deep, rumbling laugh...

Sorry once again Skyanide. I need not to exit this forum, nor do I dislike the rules. I only wanted to give my opinion on it and help Boom out... As your sig sais however, I think I better hadn't :p

20. SEVENWOLVES

SEVENWOLVES GET READY FOR PUNISHMENT

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    i like to apply for a house of my own when i reach the 150th post!